• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Subscription Based Poser --- Yes or No

Would you like Poser to be subscription based like Adobe has done with Photoshop?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Yes; and I subscribe to Photoshop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No; and I do not subscribe to Photoshop

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think if a subscription was offered as ONE of the OPTIONS, it would be fine. I might actually upgrade to a newer version if that were the case. As it is right now, SM has priced themselves out of the hobbyist market for me, as I would really need the extra tools that are in Pro because they are vital to content creation.

I would be happy if they offered an installment (such as pay Amount X in Y number of installments). I really don't like subscriptions, but $25 or so a month is a lot more palatable than having to fork over $500 in one lump sum. I just can't justify that kind of pricetag on a piece of software that I would most likely only use for content creation.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Installment would work for me too, but I've yet to see any subscriptions written in that matter, or that offered as an option. I object to an open ended (i.e., endless) subscription where the cost eventually exceeds the cost of what the application would normally cost purchased outright. I don't purchase every upgrade, nor to I particularly want to. Some upgrades are just plain buggy or horribly cludgy (windows 8 anyone).

I also have issues with the fact that even if you've spent the equivalent of a purchase (or more) and stop the subscription, you lose use of the program, and all your work is now ... locked.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. That's actually the reason I despise subscription based software. I do not have PS, either.

The problem with Poser's pricetag is just that it's quite frankly TOO expensive for the hobbyist, yet it's marketed at hobbyist users.

And no way can I justify paying half of my mortgage payment on a piece of software for just content creation. IF they allowed installment payments, yes, I would look at it again (depending on how much they wanted on each installment). If they did a subscribe-until-you've-paid-the-full-fee type of plan, sure. (And I doubt they would ever do that, but a girl can pipe dream. :p) But an open ended/nonstop subscription... yeah, no. No way. LOL

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Software used exclusively for business purposes should be tax deductible. As long as it's a business and not a hobby.

Quite a few years ago I was able to deduct the cost of a computer and a phone line, as well as other expenses because they were required for an online job.

Now ... when my employer institutes Telework and I'm able to work three days a week at home, I won't be able to claim any expenses because it's a convenience for me, not a requirement by my employer.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oh whoa... I am already a slave to Adobe, have been since... geez I don't want to even admit. My main business for the last 30+ years has been as a designer/illustrator. I've worked with Illus since version 1.1 and Photoshop since 2.5, and got on board with InDesign in 2002 after using Quark for many, many years. I stopped at CC/bought the last "real" designer standard CS version (CS6 I think) before they went to cloud/subscription. I wouldn't advocate that for any but a professional to make it worth the expense. Now if they have a deal like their Photoshop only for $10 a month, maybe. But in general subscriptions these days never end/I can't see anyone doing 'installments". Adobe would never ever do a pay in installments- only subscription. Not a good path for a hobbyist for sure, and honestly not always a good road for a pro who can write it off. I honestly think it would be cheaper in the long run to wait for a good sale and purchase outright - the upgrade prices are pretty decent. They do tend to have pretty decent upgrade prices for several versions at a time/you can 'jump" versions to a degree, unlike most software I've had to buy in my career. I guess in the long run it really depends on what you want to do personally/what your goal is. Now if for some reason SM offered a pay in installemts ... heck yeah.. but I don't see that happening in this day and age.

frogimus

Adventurous
Yes but I'm an odd sort. I have OSS (ooh, shiny syndrome) and only work in Poser (or any 3D) for a few months before going to some other distraction. Seems like everytime 3D catches my attention again, it's time to buy an upgrade.

Kyralae

New-Bee
I'm a Poser is my hobby user and on a short fixed income. I'm not upgrading several of my programs since they all seem to be following Adobe into the 'pay me forever' direction. If you take just the ones I have quit buying upgrades I would be paying over $200/mo for software I use for entertainment. I can't take that hit.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
For some software I like the subscription basis. For instance, in those rare instances when I need Maya LT, I'm okay paying the 30 bucks rather than the full price, because I rarely use it. I do use Poser all the time so a subscription isn't worth it to me. And last I checked, Adobe is trying to move away from letting anyone buy software outright.
I actually use a lovely little program called Pixelmator that does basically everything Photoshop does. As I recall I payed something in the 40-60 dollar range, and have gotten updates for free. Of course, they can do this because they are Mac only, and very cleverly use all the graphics stuff built into Mac OS.

Britt

Admirable
I am disabled and get less than 1/2 of a $8 an hour 40 hour week disability check.

I am thinking about signing up for Photoshop and Lightwave for $9.95/month.

I need the 64 bit Poser 11 Pro but cannot afford $349 for the side-grade from Poser 10 Pro!

(Added) If Poser was $9.95/month i'd jump on it!

@Gadget Girl If you want a free option for photoshop check out Gimp. In spite of the awful name it is not gimped and I think it has pretty much the same stuff as photoshop in a fairly similar UI setup. Plus it is open source so has a lot of support and tutorials to check out.

Darryl

Adventurous
I am disabled and get less than 1/2 of a $8 an hour 40 hour week disability check.

I am thinking about signing up for Photoshop and Lightwave for $9.95/month.

I need the 64 bit Poser 11 Pro but cannot afford $349 for the side-grade from Poser 10 Pro!

(Added) If Poser was $9.95/month i'd jump on it!

Hi Paul. I believe regular Poser 11 is 64 bit now... finally. In case you weren't aware

And no, subscriptions are out unless they were of the layaway type.

Darryl

Adventurous
Instead of a subscription, maybe Poser will run some aggressive sales. I'd consider upgrading to Pro 11 if it were closer to $100

frogimus

Adventurous
Make sure you're on their mailing list. I just received an offer for 50% off Anime Studio Pro right as I was considering getting it for my son.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Since my work computer no longer has Photoshop installed (or Fireworks which I never could wrap my brain around), I downloaded and installed Gimp last week.

OMGosh! How do you guys work with it?!? Of course, it didn't help that I didn't have a lot of time to figure out how to do what I wanted to do. But, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get gradient fill to blend my two colors. Instead, half was one color, half was the other!

On the bright side, it opened my Photoshop files as if I were using Photoshop. So that was major cool.

frogimus

Adventurous
Since my work computer no longer has Photoshop installed (or Fireworks which I never could wrap my brain around), I downloaded and installed Gimp last week.

OMGosh! How do you guys work with it?!? Of course, it didn't help that I didn't have a lot of time to figure out how to do what I wanted to do. But, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get gradient fill to blend my two colors. Instead, half was one color, half was the other!

On the bright side, it opened my Photoshop files as if I were using Photoshop. So that was major cool.

There a tab on the layers pallet that lets you manipulate the blending. I admit it takes some getting used to coming from PS but once you get into it, especially the python scripting, its quite nice. IIRC, there's a hack somewhere that sets up the GUI and icons to look exactly like PS.

For me I think it is because I only used photoshop casually and so Gimp is what I learned on. I thought the GUI was similar but then I never got used to Photoshop before I tried Gimp. I just like the price and for me it does everything I can think of.