• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Stuff blowing up in Poser

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Has anyone had this problem before in Poser? A dog crate I made blows up out of shape for someone else. I opened the files in zbrush and it turns out there was a lot of extra verts in there. So they tried it again and it's still doing it.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hopefully she'll look at this thread. Apparently it's only in FF and not SF.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ask what they have smoothing angle set at.
Oh, do you think that's it? I'll have to check that and see. It's so strange since it renders fine in SF.

OK, I just checked, and it's set to 80, which I think is the default for that.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
The "inflated" appearance I've seen was generally due to smoothing angle and lack of control edge loops in the mesh.

Another possibility would be displacement, which behaves differently in Firefly (micropoly displacement) and Superfly (displaces existing vertices).

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, I don't recall a displacement map of any kind, but I'll check that out. What can be done about the smoothing angle for objects/props when this occurs? Should it be lowered, or raised?

Your comment about displacement behaving differently in FF and SF may be the cause here, because it renders fine in SF. Now I'm going to check out how the materials were set up.

I wouldn't know what to look for with respect to lack of control edge loops, as it's not my mesh.

Miss B

CV-BEE
YAY!!! I figured it out!! :D

OK, there was no displacement map, but I had Use Displacement Maps checked in my FireFly render settings, so I unchecked it, but it still didn't work.

Then I went to the Properties tab, and just above where the Crease Angle is set, it has the option to Smooth Polygons, so I unchecked it, because I always have it checked in my render settings. That did the trick!! Evidently, it was doing a double smooth on the objects I've had this problem with, so I'm going to make a note, in case it ever happens again.

~Whew~ Thanks Seach for turning me in the right direction. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
You know Satira, you may be the one who mentioned it when I first started playing with this a few months ago, because I checked the original scene file I had saved then, and Smooth polygons was unchecked, which is why that scene rendered just fine in FireFly, and the new update didn't.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The reason objects "inflate" in Firefly, but not in Superfly, Lux, or Octane is simple. Firefly (and 3Delight) is based Pixar Renderman, which was designed to render organic characters. It will automatically try to smooth out hard edges by default. In a way, that does make sense since Poser was also designed to render organic characters. There 2 ways to avoid automatic poly smoothing: either disable "Smooth Polys", or set your smoothing groups angles when you model your mesh. Poser supports smoothing groups natively, and will import them when you load an OBJ.

Disabling "Smooth Polys" will keep all hard edges in renders, but if your model has a combination of soft and hard edges, it's best to configure them in the smoothing groups instead. :)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Piggybacking from @Ken1171 I'll stress that you need to consider three places where smoothing settings exist:
  • edit : general preferences : document tab
  • Firefly render settings - smooth polygons tick box
  • object's parameter palette (smooth polygons tick box and crease angle setting)
edit - gen pref - default crease angle.PNG
FF render settings - smooth polygons box.PNG
smooth polys and crease angle in parameter properties.PNG

To demonstrate the effect of mesh design, I made two cylinders. One with only the basic edges, and the second had "control edges" added (highlighted in yellow):
cylinder - control edges highlighted.png

With the default settings, both render OK in Firefly. If smooth polygons is activated in the Firefly render settings, with a crease angle of more than 90' in the parameter properties, the simple mesh "inflates", while the mesh with control edges retains its shape:
control edge cyl - FF smooth polys + crease angle 100.png

Another issue occurs with subdivision; here both cylinders have subdivision = 2:
control edge cyl - subd = 2.png
As with smoothing, the simple mesh distorts, while the mesh with control edges retains its shape.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, now I get what you meant by control edge loops. I do that when I want a very sharp edge after subdividing. I just haven't done any props lately, so forgot I've done that.

What I'm wondering about the crease angle is, how do you know how much to increase, or decrease, it? I've always seen it set to 80 in both DS and Poser by default, and never thought to change it. I guess I've never run into any tutorials in the early days of my using each of those software apps that did anything with that setting, so usually I just leave it alone.

Now that I know that having Smooth polygons checked in both places does this, I will be making sure I don't have it checked in the item's Properties Tab.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Yes, control edges solve both the smooth polys "inflation" problem and the subdivision rounding problem.
yes_nod.gif

You can set the crease angle for the simple cylinder in its individual parameters properties over a wide range (I checked 45'-135') and it renders OK. It is the globally-applied smooth polygons box in the Firefly render settings which seems to me to be the problem child. I haven't seen any of my older models "inflate" as long as the FF render setting smooth polys box was left un-ticked. My newer stuff generally has control edges, though some won't, if the increase in poly count is prohibitive.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, I see, and you prefer unticking it in the general FireFly render settings, rather than on the Properties Tab of the individual items? I realize it makes for less work, as it were, because you only have to do it once, but I often wonder if not having it checked for rendering will affect something else in the wrong way.

Then again, this is really for props, because humans, animals, and such use SubD, and don't necessarily have (or need) sharp edges. ;)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Oh, I see, and you prefer unticking it in the general FireFly render settings, rather than on the Properties Tab of the individual items?
Yes, but that's because I've never seen any lack of smoothing from doing so. If I did, I would engage the render setting smoothing and then adjust smoothing for individual items.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In 3DSMAX, this is called "chamferring" edges to protect them from flattening under subdivision or smoothing. I remember Cath (Mec4D) used to put as many as 5 extra edge loops to hold things in place, depending on the case.

As for seach's settings, I [personally] prefer not to mess with the global settings, because every render is their own. I have some models that do need poly smoothing, and the ones that don't are usually an exception that don't happen often. That's why I personally prefer to use local settings, and only when needed.

Miss B

CV-BEE
IIRC, Hexagon also has the chamfer option, though it's been years since I tried working in Hex.

In Blender we use the Bevel modifier.