• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Love the look of the peafowl! Hope to see both it and the ruffed grouse in my runtime someday!

Thanks,... I should go back to work on them. I did a couple small projects (Moth v3/Habitat Extender) in order to have something new in the store. Many of my bird projects take large amounts of time to develop-- often many months (remember I'm doing everything myself-- researching, modeling, morphing, rigging, texturing, species creation and then packaging). It took me 4 weeks off and on and another 8 solid weeks to bring Nightjars to the store... and that's without distractions.

I've been distracted this week, for instance... I started the week not really wanting to work on the peafowl or grouse... so instead, I modeled and textured a plant native to our area, the White Sage (Salvia apiana). I now have a nice base plant in which I can use to develop a couple shrub, which in turn might evolve into another habitat set.

Today, I got sidetracked again and rough modeled a frog (which I thought might be my next Nature's Wonders set). I'm just a little listless... it's just hard for an artist who specializes in environmental art right now to stay positive and productive.

salviaapiana1.jpg frog-wip.JPG

I guess I'll have to decide soon what's going to be the headliner for my Audubon's birthday sale (I'm leaning towards the peafowl-- and maybe the frog).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ooooohhhh we need a good frog morph! (as much as I want the peacock, a little froggy would be good too :))

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
And it's been a while since there was a good one available. 9Mbi had a bullfrog, yonks ago, and there were some 'Toon frogs. Also old. Plus the old DAZ tree frog. Which is even older. And I only think one of them had any kind of an add-on texture pack.

And I don't think I've ever seen a toad.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
And it's been a while since there was a good one available. 9Mbi had a bullfrog, yonks ago, and there were some 'Toon frogs. Also old. Plus the old DAZ tree frog. Which is even older. And I only think one of them had any kind of an add-on texture pack.

And I don't think I've ever seen a toad.

I was recently looking for a frog for a Heron render I wanted to do and the 'old faithful' Zygote/DAZ frog is pretty dated now.

The frog set would be similar in scope to my Lizard sets-- I'm guessing a base model and 3 volumes including all types of frogs and toads. I just received a nice ref book from Amazon, 300 Frogs, which will help in my selection.

On a side note, my first product as a broker artist was a texture/morph set for the Zygote frog, but it never saw the light of day. It had gone through all the QA checks and was ready to go to market when Zygote announced they were moving to medical/science models and their Poser division was breaking off to form DAZ. My product was sadly lost and forgotten in that transition. Here's an animated promo for my set I did way back in 2000.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Arrived back here by clicking on the winged horsey image that popped up at the top of the screen. Still hoping to see a flying Harry available someday.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Arrived back here by clicking on the winged horsey image that popped up at the top of the screen. Still hoping to see a flying Harry available someday.

It will appear some day ;) The rigging for the Poser and DS versions is complete, but all the map work is being done by Laurie (and my to-do list looks small compared to hers). She did say recently it's getting closer to the top (with the Cougar done now).

Szark

Awesome
yeah it's been a hard and busy time these last 6 months and I do pop in often to keep on top of things. By the looks life is going to get a lot busier for me. Hell I don't post much on any forum these days. Made a few today on DS.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Ken, just wanted you to know I was thinking of you earlier. I was in the kitchen washing my breakfast dishes, and I saw something out of the corner of my eye, turned towards the window, and lo and behold, a rather large flock or birds flew over our building (I'm on the top floor), and then across to fly over the next building on the block. I don't know what species of bird, as they flew over very quickly, but it looked to be at least 20 or so birds in formation. :D

Also, while I'm at it, I wanted to ask you if you're at all familiar with the Blue-Footed Booby from Galápagos. Today's New York Times had an article you might want to read.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/science/galapagos-blue-footed-boobies.html

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Ken, just wanted you to know I was thinking of you earlier. I was in the kitchen washing my breakfast dishes, and I saw something out of the corner of my eye, turned towards the window, and lo and behold, a rather large flock or birds flew over our building (I'm on the top floor), and then across to fly over the next building on the block. I don't know what species of bird, as they flew over very quickly, but it looked to be at least 20 or so birds in formation. :D

Also, while I'm at it, I wanted to ask you if you're at all familiar with the Blue-Footed Booby from Galápagos. Today's New York Times had an article you might want to read.

The Blue-footed Booby is in my Seabirds V1 set :) The reason for the Booby's name is because it's Totipalmate (4 webbed toes on front)-- most seabirds are Palmate (3 webbed toes). That extra webbed toe makes the bird appear more clumsy, hence the name "Booby". Living in the Los Angeles area, on rare occasions, the Booby has been spotted.

If you are ever having trouble identifying birds, the "All About Birds" website/App now has a free tool that will try to ID the bird from a photo you've taken (it's North America birds only right now)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The Blue-footed Booby is in my Seabirds V1 set :) The reason for the Booby's name is because it's Totipalmate (4 webbed toes on front)-- most seabirds are Palmate (3 webbed toes). That extra webbed toe makes the bird appear more clumsy, hence the name "Booby". Living in the Los Angeles area, on rare occasions, the Booby has been spotted.
Ahhh, I didn't know they were here in the USA as well.

If you are ever having trouble identifying birds, the "All About Birds" website/App now has a free tool that will try to ID the bird from a photo you've taken (it's North America birds only right now)
Thanks for the link, though they flew by so fast I didn't have time to grab my cellphone and grab a quick snap.

I was just surprised as I've never seen birds flying around here in such a large group, and in formation. My usual bird contact is with Pigeons, since they're usually walking around looking for scraps to eat. ;)