• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Carmen, there is a set at Renderosity called Sandworld-Oasis by 3-d-c that you could check out, it has a sand terrain and even a water pool. Maybe this would suit your need, have a look.
Hi
Thanks I got that and a lot of other deseret sets around but the one that i need is at DAZ and only for D/S! Kills me but that's what it is. If only the creator had also created a Poser version or even a simple 'obj./3ds version with textures i would have jumped through hoops to get it.But Nooooooooooo! :(

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hi
Thanks I got that and a lot of other deseret sets around but the one that i need is at DAZ and only for D/S! Kills me but that's what it is. If only the creator had also created a Poser version or even a simple 'obj./3ds version with textures i would have jumped through hoops to get it.But Nooooooooooo! :(

you could take the DS set and in DS export it as an .obj or use their DSON (DS to Poser) converter. Importing the obj into Poser you'll have to deal with setting up the materials again but I'm guessing the a sand dune prop doesn't have anything too fancy in the material room setup.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
My Saguaro habitat is out. You'll find this a perfect home for the harris hawk, gila woodpecker, phainopepla, burrowing owls, many of the NA hummers and other Songbird ReMix birds.

Last week, I meant to post this in this forum thread and not the "Nature's Wonders" one... I guess I'm "showing" my age lol

Creating a new model is almost always a challenge. Hopefully, someone will be interested in my modeling thought process... typing it out here, if anything helps me to think it through. If anything, it should add some appreciation into what we content creators have to work through on every model.

Working on my Prairie Chicken and Sage-grouse project, at the start they seemed to be similar in many ways, but as I progressed there are more than a few stark differences.... not just between the Grouse and Chicken but between male and female. Both female models are relatively alike from a geometry stand-point, but the males however are a difference story.

First, what's alike... they both have tall crown feathers (although they look complete different). The male Prairie Chicken has a crown crest that behaves similar to a Cockatoo crest (full formed feathers); it does have the unique ability to also go sideways, as well as up and down. The Sage-grouse crown is composed of wiry hair-like feathers that aren't that noticeable. I think the set of planes I've created (on the example shown below) will work of both, although the transparency maps will be vastly different. The crest will have a "hide" morph for the females.

Where the big difference occurs is in the throat air-sac (when inflated) and distinct male Sage-grouse collar. With the Sage-grouse when the air sac is inflated the two bare patches of skin reveal themselves frontally whereas with the Prairie Chicken they appear on the sides. I could slide the geometry around but that will cause some texture stretching. For Sage-grouse collar, I think I can use a "hide" morph for when the male Prairie Chicken and females, but the placement of the two bare patches of skin on each species makes me lean towards two separate models.

There's also the trick of hiding those two patches of skin was the air sac isn't inflated. I'll probably be using the same solution I did that hid the Kiwi wings-- it seemed to work pretty well.

View attachment 16591

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just spotted the Saguaro Habitat when I was picking up the Sagebrush Habitat, and it went straight into my wishlist. I'll probably be picking it up for my b'day present to myself in a couple of weeks. ;)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
My Saguaro habitat is out. You'll find this a perfect home for the harris hawk, gila woodpecker, phainopepla, burrowing owls, many of the NA hummers and other Songbird ReMix birds.

Last week, I meant to post this in this forum thread and not the "Nature's Wonders" one... I guess I'm "showing" my age lol
Hey Ken
very nice set. I would love to get this for an image but i need a bigger set for background coverage depending on the angles i need to use this might be too small. Is there a bigger nature set you can recommend putting this into that can be used to expand the set that has the same or similar textural qualities as this set does? Proportionate to Poser human or animal size how does this set fare?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I don't know of any other sets that have a southwestern desert look-- apart from the desert textures for the DAZ multiplane cyclorama and X-frog's Southwestern plant collection.

The reason the base set is small is because the plants are pretty high resolution and system resources can be an issue. My goal with these habitat sets is for the plants and scenery to hold up well when close camera angles are used.

The thing about my set is that it's modular.... all of the plants can be loaded individually. For ground, it has the mound plus additional ground plane. There are 4 different Cacti shapes, 3 different version of Ocotillo, the Saltbush and 5 different rock shapes. For a more widespread look, I've loaded the mound and ground plane several times, butted them up to each other and placed the individual cacti and plants to get a nice desert look. I also included some photo backgrounds that I shot when I was last at Saguaro National Monument.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I don't know of any other sets that have a southwestern desert look-- apart from the desert textures for the DAZ multiplane cyclorama and X-frog's Southwestern plant collection.

The reason the base set is small is because the plants are pretty high resolution and system resources can be an issue. My goal with these habitat sets is for the plants and scenery to hold up well when close camera angles are used.

The thing about my set is that it's modular.... all of the plants can be loaded individually. For ground, it has the mound plus additional ground plane. There are 4 different Cacti shapes, 3 different version of Ocotillo, the Saltbush and 5 different rock shapes. For a more widespread look, I've loaded the mound and ground plane several times, butted them up to each other and placed the individual cacti and plants to get a nice desert look. I also included some photo backgrounds that I shot when I was last at Saguaro National Monument.
Hi Ken
....and anyone interested in a pretty good optional Add_on for this wonderful set, over at Renderosity, I found
3D Scenery: Dryland Oasis.
Oops sorry about the LOUD size. But I was in a bit of a rush and just copied and pasted the item name here....my typing sucks and needed to get to something else. So if you have Kens beautiful nature set (which is gorgeous) and need "more space" to fill out your scene you may want to take a look. I hope I can match the sand colors. :)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While I don't have that set, I'm guessing you could use my ground texture (which is a tileable texture) on it to match my set.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I'll try.
Hope you don't feel I am trying to sell that or other sets in place of yours? I was just trying to tell there is a good add-on set to be used in conjunction with yours to gve it more depth and breadth of use if bigger environment is needed! 8))

Jan

Adventurous
I was lucky today to photograph a Satin Bower Bird's bower, an Australian bird.

The male Satin Bower Bird has built and decorated his bower in my next door neighbour's garden and decorated it like the image I am showing here. I have briefly seen them fliting around but not able to get a photo yet.

SatinBowerBirdsBowerImage1.jpg

SatinBowerBirdsBowerImage2.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Interesting how he has a penchant for blue "Stuff". Maybe he needs a good mirror so he can look at himself.
Hmmmmm....I know some guys like that! LOL
All joking aside it is a beautiful bird.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Great photo.

What Jan is showing is the "Art Gallery" that the male Bowerbird creates (and yes, his collection is all blue). When he gets a look he's happy with, he'll invite all the local females over to check out his art with a "grand opening". The first half of the show is spent looking at his designs, then he performs a dance. If a female likes the presentation, they'll mate. Research has shown that younger females are more attracted by the quality of the art shown, while older females judge the male by his dance moves.

Here's my original art from my Bowerbird prop set... entitled "What happen to the car key?"

bowerbirdtitle.jpg

The Bowerbirds are in Australia V2 and the props are in Art from the Bowerbird Collections

Last edited:

Jan

Adventurous
Kens right in his description of what goes on - my neighbour told me that the day before (I took my photos ie) a great deal of noise was coming from this bower site, it seems the girls were squabbling over it. The male whilst he looks just black, is transformed in sunlight with iridescent colours caused by the sunlight on the feathers in a certain way.
The birds have beautiful blue/violet eyes also like this

EyeFemaleSatinBowerBird.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Fascinating.
I just watched with bated breath a show on humming birds. I was fascinated throughout at the results of current studies on the beauiful hard working little creatures.
Mating rituals, fight sequences and feeding and of course nest building and caring of their young. The show showed the mass migration from deep South America all the way into the borders of Canada and American north West. It showed how little oxygen they can get away with and thus giving them the ability to fly elevations above a 747 passenger jet if necessary and that is how well they have adapted.
I saw y first one in the mountains of Haiti years ago when working on a cruise ship and having come into port drove to the resort for some R&R. Beautiful up there and nowhere near as squalid as the lower areas near the port and capital.
I was sitting in the sun and heard a deep throbbing buzzing sound. Thinking I was being attacked by hornets I jumped out of my skin and spotted the bird gathering nectar from some flowers growing next the where i was sitting. I tried to get a photograph of it but it was impossible. So I just put my camera down and watched quietly. I was with another of the ship photographers i worked with and was surprised he did not know what it was. I found out tonight they are not at least at the time of the making of the show, in Europe bu found only in the Americas. A real experience and the show tonight enlightening.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Adventurous
Finally got a chance to get some photos this afternoon. I was watching over the fence into the vicinity of the Bower and saw movement, the Satin Bower Birds were fast- not standing still for long, but I saw one in a tree so managed to take some photos and a bit of video. It was dappled light and hard to see, but when I viewed the short video it was obvious this was a female, she was napping, but opened her eyes and looked about when she heard the Eastern Koels calling, (they are here to breed and they are parasite nesters in that she lays her egg in another bird's nest, mainly here the Wattle Bird, who ends up raising the voracious loud chick who grows to be more than twice her size and she has to work her 'fingers' to the bone feeding it.)

I took a still (resized here) from my video and the beautiful blue/violet eyes as she turned her head. A male was around also, but he was too fast and I could not get a shot, but I will.:cool:

Female Satin Bowerbird7a.jpg

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
I just bought the SBRM Woodpeckers set and noticed two different .crs to choose from. Does it matter which one I choose? I want the best one for the Arizona Woodpecker.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I just bought the SBRM Woodpeckers set and noticed two different .crs to choose from. Does it matter which one I choose? I want the best one for the Arizona Woodpecker.

Is 'z' female and 'z2' male?

The "Z" is the proper cr2 for the Arizona Woodpecker. The Z2 cr2 is for long-necked woodpeckers such as the Ivory-billed and Pileated Woodpeckers.
There should be a "Z" icon in the lower left hand corner for all of those species using the "Z" cr2 and "Z2" for the "Z2" cr2