• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Looking great Ken, but is it only going to be in DS/Iray, or am I misinterpreting what you said?
Misinterpreting... it's just an Iray render. I do all my creation work in Poser and individual bird promo renders for my sets, but often use DAZ Studio's Iray for "whole world" renders because of its lighting abilities and the UltraScenery plugin.

The set, as almost all of my do, will support Firefly, Superfly, 3Delight and Iray with both Poser 10+ and DAZ Studio native versions.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
If in Australia you will need a concrete slab to bolt it down and so the rats and foxes can’t dig their way in to get the chickens and the wind and floods don’t take it out. :oops: :oops::shineon:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here in Tujunga (on the outskirts of Los Angeles), we have an occasional bobcat, a rare mountain lion or bear, dozens of coyote and rats/mice wandering the streets (mostly at night). Add to that, active screech and great horned owls every night and red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks during the day.... but surprisingly our neighbors chickens in his backyard do not seem to be affected. We see 3-4 chickens (family groups) often jump the fence during the daylight hours and forage in the street. I'm shocked that the hawks seem to ignore them, perhaps our predators are too well fed to bother.

While we don't flood here, we do get wind... our seasonal Santa Ana winds can blow from 30-120 mph (48-193 kmph) in gusts

Attachments

• IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 108

DanaTA

Distinguished
Here in Tujunga (on the outskirts of Los Angeles), we have an occasional bobcat, a rare mountain lion or bear, dozens of coyote and rats/mice wandering the streets (mostly at night). Add to that, active screech and great horned owls every night and red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks during the day.... but surprisingly our neighbors chickens in his backyard do not seem to be affected. We see 3-4 chickens (family groups) often jump the fence during the daylight hours and forage in the street. I'm shocked that the hawks seem to ignore them, perhaps our predators are too well fed to bother.

While we don't flood here, we do get wind... our seasonal Santa Ana winds can blow from 30-120 mph (48-193 kmph) in gusts
My father used to talk about the Santa Ana winds. He lived in Twentynine Palms.

Dana

Stezza

Dances with Bees
besides wedgies and goshies that will take a small dog and pet rabbits from your yard the main predators here are domestic and feral cats/dogs and foxes. Dingoes are more over the mountain range and inland.
Rats chewed through my daughters feed bin she has for her rabbit the other day and they have eaten some hoses in my car's engine in the past.
we don't have bears ( watched cocaine bear the other day! ) or mountain lions but the size of some ferals is ridiculous.

gladly we don't get winds like your Santa Ana ( we get around 100 - 120 kph ) but hey... it's on the bingo card for 2024 now lol

DanaTA

Distinguished
We have turkeys, coyotes, foxes, skunks, woodchucks, raccoons, Canada geese, mallards, the occasional egret or Great Blue Heron. Not all roaming the streets, of course, and not all the time. Some visit the pond across the street. I have seen coyotes roaming the street on a few occassions. Once even during the middle of the day. It was winter, I was shoveling snow off the driveway. I got into my car to warm up for a few minutes. In my peripheral vision I saw something moving. I turned to look, and it was a coyote casually prancing across the street into my neighbor's yard. Sometimes deer visit. There's a cherry tree across the street. One year there were three of them eating cherries off the tree. Pulling at the low hanging branches to get them. Another time, I came home at night, and there was a deer with full antlers next to my driveway. I stopped before pulling in. It just looked at me, then turned away and slowly walked off. Someone up the street has chickens that roam around sometimes.

Dana

Stezza

Dances with Bees
One evening I was out front looking down the road at the fire truck and was chatting to who I thought was my missus next to me.. When I turned around to my surprise was this big male roo standing upright where I thought the missus was looking me up and down... scared the crap out of me... and what was worse, I didn't realise the difference between it and the missus beforehand :eek: :whistling:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'm pretty close to completing the first pass of my Cuckoos... I do the Firefly version first, then Iray folllowed by 3Delight, and finally finishing in Superfly. Building and seeing the birds rendered in each of the 4 versions helps me edit and correct the set. There's the infamous Common Cuckoo-- it's what the whole Cuckoo family is based on, and not to surprisingly, sounds exactly like the clock.

Attachments

• Common Cuckoo.jpg
    Common Cuckoo.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
So, on the AOL splash screen this morning there was a link to an article that there is a movement for dozens of birds to be re-named to avoid offending marginalized groups. Or some such thing. Any idea whether this is real, or just someone trying to stir people up?

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, the American Ornithological Society has decided to remove people's names from the common names of birds... so birds like Audubon's Warbler will go back to Yellow-rumped Warbler (a name they've had 3 or 4 times since their discovery-- it's bounced between that and "Audubons").

Personally, I think they should just drop all the human-oriented names and go to the descriptive ones like "Yellow-rumped Wabler".

The American Ornithological Society Will Change the English Names of Bird Species Named After People
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/11/01/bird-names-racism-audubon/