• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

So where are the challenges then ?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No there haven't been any, and there probably should be. I think I'll go plant a bug in someone's ear about it. ;)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
We were going to and even got as far as making suggestions but another contest came along at the same time (Once upon a Time) and then the Open Songbird one started. We could try again :)

Nod

Adventurous
I'll enter a challenge if there's one going. Assuming it's one that I feel like entering. :laugh:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey Nod. I believe one is being worked on, and will be posted in the very near future, so keep a look out. ;)

3dcheapskate

Engaged
I'll enter a challenge if there's one going. Assuming it's one that I feel like entering. :laugh:

Whatever the theme I can usually find a way to subvert it to something I actually want to do (while keeping within the rules and ToS of course) - I find that's probably half the fun of any challenge !

E.g. I've just posted two entries to the DAZ June monthly "Dawn Of A New Day" freebie challenge. Hivewire's Dawn only appears in one of them... but it was fun doing two renders without anything DAZ in them! That was a little extra challenge I added for myself :)

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking DAZ - I love V4 and all the generation 4 and earlier, and use them all the time. That's why not using any of them for a DAZ challenge was so much fun! )

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Challenge, challenge, challenge!

I tried to start a challenge a while back for my newspaper project, but got zero responses. I probably didn't explain really well what I was looking for, and it wasn't strictly a render challenge, it included writing. And the prize probably wasn't worth it. Oh well.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Will still be a product release someday, I have just been so busy lately, don't have much time for 3d stuff other than popping into the forum here and there. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Here you go folks, HiveWire's latest render challenge --> Depth of Field Challenge

This will be, what I call, a learning challenge, so if you haven't done renders with DoF, or haven't tried it yet because you feel it's too difficult, check out the thread as some links to tutorials have been included. ;)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Already posted over there that I think this is a great challenge idea. I like the idea of a challenge that challenges us not to just make stuff up around a theme (although that can be fun) but to use a technique.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes GG, those are usually the type of challenges we have over at the Dreamlight forums monthly render challenges. Sometimes a theme is paired with a specific technique, so there's always something new to learn.

Nod

Adventurous
Years and years back, the Poser newsgroup did one where there was a phrase. You did you own interpretation of the phrase. :)

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Years and years back, the Poser newsgroup did one where there was a phrase. You did you own interpretation of the phrase. :)
That sounds a great idea.
Along similar (but different) lines, perhaps Showing character through poses could also inspire an interesting render challenge.
P.S. I loved a couple of the previous themes here, specifically the story based one and the postage stamp - shame I wasn't looking here at the time !

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Along the lines of showing character through poses, you could also do some themed stuff. For instance I know Ken's superhero out fit was recently released and there are several others in the works. So what if you had a superhero challenge, except maybe requiring that the image show defeat instead of victory. Or maybe a Fairy challenge, but the fairies have to be evil without simply being ugly, or something like that. It might be a nice way to mix things up with technical challenges, and then character challenges.

Also I don't know if there are any sticky legal issues with fan art, but taking an iconic figure of some sort (much like a recent Zoro render I saw @Lyne post) but emphasizing again showing who the character is, and trying to convey something about them.

Just some thoughts. And there might be better ways to do character challenges than that.