• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hope the anim8or info will help all the lurking newbies out there....I noticed the other day that our thread had topped 11,000 hits, so somebody out there is visiting besides our regular group...so hello to the silent observers :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those screenshots remind me of the glasses and plates I made when I played in Rhino3D years ago. IIRC, it's referred to as Spline modeling, as opposed to Polygon modeling. I drew out the shape and then selected an action, the name of which I don't recall, that copied the shape around, and then I just welded the two ends together.

Considering I didn't know that much about modeling back then, it was fun to get nice results so quickly. :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey, thanks for the tip Miss B...spline modeling....is that where you can draw around a reference photo and come up with a modeled shape? See, I learned something :)

And about the hits...I found it the other day when the thread was sorta inactive, others posts had it not readily visible, so I went in through Freebie Chat...and lo and behold...we've been busy bees...haha.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well duuuuuh! I'm so used to seeing the main forum pages, though not in this forum because yours is the only active thread, that I forgot that's where you would see it. :headdesk:

skylab

Esteemed
Here's the PDF version of the anim8or tutorial, bundled with the two original tutorials that got the modeling ball rolling several years ago. It's a great little program for new-bees, and can't possibly overwhelm your computer resources, even if you're using Windows XP. A lot of people use this type of program to get their first experience, then move up to software of their choice later.

ANIM8OR TUTORIALS

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yep. It's visible on every thread if you view the forum listing :

upload_2016-4-17_15-46-32.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey, thanks for the tip Miss B...spline modeling....is that where you can draw around a reference photo and come up with a modeled shape? See, I learned something :)
I'm sure you could, but I've used reference photos for poly modeling as well.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yep. It's visible on every thread if you view the forum listing
Exactly, but I'm so used to hitting this thread directly, because it's usually the only active one, I forgot that's where you see that. ;) After spending so many years on forums, that's one of the things I don't pay much attention to any more.

skylab

Esteemed
I modeled a great Charlie Brown head one time, but I could "connect" all the body parts...like, I did the head, and then didn't know how to pull out a neck from that and continue on to the body, so everything was disconnected. I still managed to put it all together, but of course it didn't look right. But I had the idea for a 3D Charlie Brown long before the movie...haha.

skylab

Esteemed
Believe it or not, here's how I kept track of the measurements, since I didn't know how to do the photo reference correct method....I used an on-screen, transparent ruler...LOL :) I'd import the primitives into Poser, and put it together there, making minor adjustments where necessary. Then it was a matter of parenting all the parts to the body.

base-head-measurements1.jpg

base-head-measurements2.jpg

cbrown-toon.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I've had that Silo update for a while, though I'm not exactly sure when I got it. I had tried the 2.3 demo back in late 2013/early 2014, and then waited until I found a really good deal to buy it in July 2014. I just don't recall if that's when the 2.3.1 update was issued, or if it was sometime last year, but it has been a while.

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. :)
Spline modeling is what Jim want's to learn as box modeling isn't something his brain can make sense of.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Good evening. :)
Spline modeling is what Jim want's to learn as box modeling isn't something his brain can make sense of.
I find them both equally easy enough to learn if you start small, and work your way up. I've been using Blender for years, and I'm still learning new things, and not just new options/plugins that have been added to the app over the years.