• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RSR to PNG Converter

For some reason, my windows 10 doesn't like the PNG that P3DO is creating.

On a positive note, I can now convert RSR's again. I would like my Free edition of P3DO to work as good as yours, Jeanne. May I ask what is your OS?
Windows.
I remember I once had the trouble with the PNG as well (a long time ago/no idea if it was the free version or if I already bought the Pro), but I was able to open them in either PSP or PS and just open and saved them again. It resolved itselfs after a while; at least I can't remember doing anything that solved it.

Maybe try this w/P3D0??
Fix blank alpha channel Workaround for Poser and Poser Pro Pack transparency problems. Rsr2Png will invert alpha channels for all selected files, except for opaque .PNGs. This option is only available for .Png to .Png conversion.
Due to the nature of conversion you should only select PNG whose alpha channel has to be inverted. Or you will end up with a set of blank PNGs. In that case run the conversion again on same set, this will restore pictures to their previous state.

Last edited:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
That is so weird. I used P3DO all the time - free version, but I'm using Windows 7

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've never had a problem with the free version of P3dO either with WinXP SP3 on my old laptop, or with Win7 Pro on this laptop. I just choose Convert RSR2Png and make sure I've selected Remove source file after conversion. That way I don't have to manually delete the RSRs after the conversion.

I don't think it's your Norton AV. I'm using Win 10 Home with another security suite and I recently had the same problem with P3DO and >RSR to .PNG. It seems, in my case, to have been an isolated incident (let's hope!) while I was working on the Terai Yuki 2 runtime. I don't remember what product it was, but I remember it was an oldie by Billy-T. What I did was look up the old product page through my account history and make a thumbnail with images there. LOL I've quit working on runtime reconstruction, so I haven't seen the problem again.

Edit: I do use a paid version of P3DO with the plugin, though. Not sure it matters, though.

Last edited:

quietrob

Extraordinary
I use the free version, Windows 10, latest build and revisions for everything. P3DO is excellent as a search tool and I'm able to find my content faster in most cases without seeming to index my hard drive (and thereby putting unnecessary strain on it) Superior programming by rocketship software, I think.

Still, I did a recent test and once again, it says it changed the rsr to a png but the png file disappears in BOTH P3DO and PP11. I then tried to open png in photoshop 6. I was told it was an unrecognized format. This means the image is somehow corrupted or something else.

There's always something else. <Big Sigh>

P3DO Explorer had trouble converting a couple of .rsrs again the other day. This time with an old product for Laura and Luke. I also tried the one converter at Rendo. When that couldn't crack it, I realized I still had Poser 7 installed do to a failed experiement (it's really rather crippled on this Windows 10 PC). I just used Paint Shop Pro to take a screenshot of the Poser 7 library (with product added to temporary runtime), cropped, and resized the image to 91 pixels. Oh, the drama of rebuilding runtimes.... o_O

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Microsoft strikes again?!?!?! I also use P3dO constantly to convert old rsr's into png... works super FINE! BUT I too, am still on Win7 64 bit (did download a new free version of P3dO for my 64 bit... maybe it does not like the 'new' windows? so sorry to hear of your troubles!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm also still on Win7 Pro, and haven't had a problem with P3dO. Then again, I haven't needed to use it in quite a while.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I would still recommend P3DO for other tasks. However, I use the rsr to PNG converter. It works and works well. I wrote the creator and he not only made it available again for download but joined the hive!

By the way, when I install my own special characters so I don't to redress them again or a prop without an rsr or png. I make the PNG myself however I use the size 150 x 150. A little easier on the eyes and Poser doesn't care. In fact I think I'll go bigger in the future. Why restrict yourself to 91x91?

Miss B

CV-BEE
True, in the newer versions of Poser you can go higher. The 91x91 thumbnails were a restriction with early versions of Poser.

quietrob

Extraordinary
True, in the newer versions of Poser you can go higher. The 91x91 thumbnails were a restriction with early versions of Poser.
Ha! I never knew that! Thanks Miss B! That explains why my attempts at doing the same thing earlier failed.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not sure what version that changed in, but my first attempt with Poser was P5, and everything was restricted back then, and I don't think P7 was much better. I believe my P9 allowed me to have the thumbnails larger, and PP11 certainly does, so I'm assuming P10/PP2014 do as well.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm not sure what version that changed in, but my first attempt with Poser was P5, and everything was restricted back then, and I don't think P7 was much better. I believe my P9 allowed me to have the thumbnails larger, and PP11 certainly does, so I'm assuming P10/PP2014 do as well.

PP2014 certainly allowed the thumbnail size to be changed, both the display size and the thumbnail size when selected, both were options under the tree tab at the bottom of the library. I can't see that Poser 10 would be any different.

Eek.. Sorry about the poor grammar in last night's post. LOL

P3DO Explorer is still one of the smartest Poser-related investments I've made, even with the problems (and all I basically use it for is converting .rsr to .png). I hate "shrugging shoulder guy" surfacing in my Poser Pro 2014 panels. Converting from .rsr to .png with P3DO Explorer does work more often than not. I'm currently working on re-constructing the pre-Kids 4 Millennium kids' runtime (they're getting one combined runtime, but it's going to be extremely well organized). Some of that content pre-dates my involvement in Poser (I started in late 2005 with Poser 6), so the content is very old and maybe the .rsr was just funky... LOL

As to why 91 pixels... That's what size the others in the set (Wood Elves for Laura and Luke) were. So that's the size I made the ones from screenshot, since I couldn't get the .rsr to convert with either app. The icons are far from pretty, but they beat "shrugging shoulder guy" by a mile.

Hornet3d

Wise
I very rarely make content, never from scratch, but I have done the odd conversions and I then use Netherworks Thumbnail Designer. It might be regarded as overkill for the little that I do but at least it make my converted content stand out.

I've looked at Netherworks' Thumbnail Designer. I make freebies quite often--even if lately it's just updating older ones with new readmes and stuff. I'm also a very small-time vendor (due to having to rebuild runtimes after last year's tech disasters, I'm not actively making new stuff for sale right now)... It might be something I pick up if I get back to doing the vendor thing.

As for making new thumbnails for old, purchased content... I might, if I absolutely have to. If .rsrs won't convert or show up in Poser 7 for screen shots. I think I'll be leaving P7 installed for now. I had been going to uninstall it, but if it's going to help with at least the odd thumbnail issue, it might help preserve what little is left of my sanity. Rebuilding more than a decade's worth of content into runtimes is going very, very slowly...

Well, I was working with an old A3 product and P3DO Explorer gave me an error (Windows 10 Home, PC). It did the same thing the other day. All the converted .PNG icons look to be okay, though. I haven't installed in Poser yet (need to organize it), so i'm not sure they'll show in the library.

p3doerror.jpg