• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rough day

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's pretty scary, Glitter. Since the Basset's aggression toward other dogs seems to be a new behavior and he is older, it is possible a physical or medical problem is causing the aggression. Even something as common as arthritis can cause a dog to become aggressive toward other dogs. If he's not been to the vet since the behavior started, it probably would be a good place to start.

Hope your finger heals quickly!

Good guess, Satira. He went to the vet today and has an ear infection.

This dog and the one he attacked grew up together basically. The boxer is a rescue from next door, where he was born. The family was evicted and just left the dog so I grabbed him up. The basset has never been aggressive, so it was completely out of thin air and atypical behavior.

I've just seen this. I always thought Basset Hounds were very placid. One of our neighbours has two of them and they are always quiet and sleepy. When the owner walks them, he can't stop to talk because the dogs will flop down and fall asleep at the smallest opportunity. The only time I ever see them break a sweat is when my dog growls at them.

Yes, we have 3 bassets, and all very placid and lazy dogs. None of them have ever been aggressive, so this was a complete surprise.

The vet seems to think his ear infection just had him so grumpy it changed his personality.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I've separated the dogs at this point, mostly because I can't physically separate them if it happens again. The boxer went to stay with another family member while I am here sitting.

Thanks everyone for the concern and good wishes. The broken finger is my ring finger on the right hand, so not too bad except for touch typing.

I can still model though. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
An ear infection would definitely have ME grumpy enough to snap at others!

Those things can hurt like the devil!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, hope his ear infection heals up quickly.

Good to hear it's your ring finger, as that isn't really needed unless your typing, and well, you can get around that, slowly, but still use another (or only two) fingers to type here on the forums while it heals. ;)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

Good to hear it's your ring finger, as that isn't really needed unless your typing, and well, you can get around that, slowly, but still use another (or only two) fingers to type here on the forums while it heals. ;)

Thanks, Miss B! Yeah, hard to untrain a touch typist, but the splint really gets in the way. :)

Hornet3d

Wise

Yea, wouldn't impact me I never got passed two fingers when it came to typing, hope it mends quickly.

One positive note is the discovery of the ear infections, I bet the dog is feeling much better already. That's one the real downsides with dogs, they can' t tell us when they are sick and they tend to be very stoic when it comes to pain. No wonder the poor thing snapped.

Hope both you and the dog a back to full health very soon.

McGyver

Energetic
The ring finger is a hard one to deal with.
A long time ago I lacerated and almost broke mine when my wedding ring caught on the edge of a structure I was jumping down from.
But, on the plus side, blood is a fantastic lubricant until it gets sticky.
Breaking the ring finger can suck.
I guess if it was the thumb, you couldn't do Fonzie imitations or hitchhike...
The pointer... I guess... point... And poke people... Nose picking would be awkward for a while too...
The middle finger... Well, I know I couldn't drive anywhere without mine... At least in NY...
The ring finger... You can't really wear rings for a while and they don't fit the same for a long while after...
Which sucks if you are a Pope or Mafia Don...
The pinky... I guess you can't daintily drink tea... Which would suck if you have a meeting with the Queen or plan on joining any high society country clubs.
I suppose whatever digit you break, it sucks...
Still better then a toe I guess...
Broken toes tend to enjoy alerting you to the fact that you let them down with ever step you take...
It's like: "Broken toe... Broken toe... Broken toe... You've got a broken toe... Broken toe..."
After a while you are like "Alright, shut up already!!"
And then everyone in the grocery store is wondering why you are holding your foot and yelling at it...
Then after a while you start gnawing on that little aluminum cast thingie they wrapped around it and eventually the doctor makes you wear one of those stupid lampshade cone dealies...
I'm not saying that happened to me, but it's sure hard to drive like that and drinking coffee is really messy.
But on the plus side you can trick kids into tossing cookies in there like basketball.
Which sucks when they eventually do throw a basketball in there and you are expecting a cookie.
I should go now.
Well, actually I wasn't entirely done...
I didn't know how to bring this up, but...
It's about the basset hound... (Which by the way if it was me, I'd be calling it a Bastard hound now)...
See, if this was a cat, I'd have...
Well... For one, asked how big are these cats that they dragged you around, and two you shouldn't watch anymore mountain lions for other people no matter how closely related to you they are.
But if it was a normal cat...
Wait... Are there "normal" cats...?
Well, theoretically...
Anyway, if it was a normal sized cat...
And assuming your porch was slathered in butter facilitating easy dragging...
Which wasn't the point, so I'll abandon that tangent...
It's the random aggressive behavior...
If it was a cat I'd ask if there was a possibility of nip addiction...
Basset hounds and dachshunds have both been known to easily become addicted to crack, but recently methamphetamines have become a problem in the basset hound community.
I'm not sure where I read that or if I made that up, but it sounds plausible given the random aggression.
You should check through the dogs suitcase and see if there is any drug paraphernalia.
If it's anything good, you might want to try it because your finger probably hurts a lot.
No...
That's terrible advice... Now the ghost of Nancy Reagan is gonna haunt me too...
She is dead... Right?
Well, she is gonna have to wait in line...
Anyway, if you find any drugs you should tell your brother.
Unless you think he might take them...
I really shouldn't have brought this up if I didn't have any good solutions and alternative scenarios...
It's like Copenhagen all over again...
Anyway...
Good luck with your finger and if your brother adopts an adorable Komodo Dragon, tell him to bugger off the moment he mentions he is going on vacation.
I mention that only because in the OP you said "my brother's animals"...
And I'm just now wondering what other animals besides a sociopathic basset hound he has left with you...
I'm picturing a real Gary Larson sort of Far Side scenario....
Like there are llamas and snakes and one of those really skittish antelopes...
A whole bathtub full of piranhas...
No fish tank, just an old fashioned claw foot bathtub with wheels bolted on...
There are two monkeys sitting at the coffee table drinking tea...
There is a toucan on top of the refrigerator and a Jaguars is fighting a wild boar in the guest room, while two capybaras are getting jiggy on the sofa...
No wonder the dog went nuts.
Well, that probably isn't what's going on...
Probably...
Either way, I shouldn't pry...
Get well soon.

Last edited:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
The ring finger is a hard one to deal with.
A long time ago I lacerated and almost broke mine when my wedding ring caught on the edge of a structure I was jumping down from.
But, on the plus side, blood is a fantastic lubricant until it gets sticky.
Breaking the ring finger can suck.
I guess if it was the thumb, you couldn't do Fonzie imitations or hitchhike...
The pointer... I guess... point... And poke people... Nose picking would be awkward for a while too...
The middle finger... Well, I know I couldn't drive anywhere without mine... At least in NY...
The ring finger... You can't really wear rings for a while and they don't fit the same for a long while after...
Which sucks if you are a Pope or Mafia Don...
The pinky... I guess you can't daintily drink tea... Which would suck if you have a meeting with the Queen or plan on joining any high society country clubs.
I suppose whatever digit you break, it sucks...
Still better then a toe I guess...
Broken toes tend to enjoy alerting you to the fact that you let them down with ever step you take...
It's like: "Broken toe... Broken toe... Broken toe... You've got a broken toe... Broken toe..."
After a while you are like "Alright, shut up already!!"
And then everyone in the grocery store is wondering why you are holding your foot and yelling at it...
Then after a while you start gnawing on that little aluminum cast thingie they wrapped around it and eventually the doctor makes you wear one of those stupid lampshade cone dealies...
I'm not saying that happened to me, but it's sure hard to drive like that and drinking coffee is really messy.
But on the plus side you can trick kids into tossing cookies in there like basketball.
Which sucks when they eventually do throw a basketball in there and you are expecting a cookie.
I should go now.
Well, actually I wasn't entirely done...
I didn't know how to bring this up, but...
It's about the basset hound... (Which by the way if it was me, I'd be calling it a Bastard hound now)...
See, if this was a cat, I'd have...
Well... For one, asked how big are these cats that they dragged you around, and two you shouldn't watch anymore mountain lions for other people no matter how closely related to you they are.
But if it was a normal cat...
Wait... Are there "normal" cats...?
Well, theoretically...
Anyway, if it was a normal sized cat...
And assuming your porch was slathered in butter facilitating easy dragging...
Which wasn't the point, so I'll abandon that tangent...
It's the random aggressive behavior...
If it was a cat I'd ask if there was a possibility of nip addiction...
Basset hounds and dachshunds have both been known to easily become addicted to crack, but recently methamphetamines have become a problem in the basset hound community.
I'm not sure where I read that or if I made that up, but it sounds plausible given the random aggression.
You should check through the dogs suitcase and see if there is any drug paraphernalia.
If it's anything good, you might want to try it because your finger probably hurts a lot.
No...
That's terrible advice... Now the ghost of Nancy Reagan is gonna haunt me too...
She is dead... Right?
Well, she is gonna have to wait in line...
Anyway, if you find any drugs you should tell your brother.
Unless you think he might take them...
I really shouldn't have brought this up if I didn't have any good solutions and alternative scenarios...
It's like Copenhagen all over again...
Anyway...
Good luck with your finger and if your brother adopts an adorable Komodo Dragon, tell him to bugger off the moment he mentions he is going on vacation.
I mention that only because in the OP you said "my brother's animals"...
And I'm just now wondering what other animals besides a sociopathic basset hound he has left with you...
I'm picturing a real Gary Larson sort of Far Side scenario....
Like there are llamas and snakes and one of those really skittish antelopes...
A whole bathtub full of piranhas...
No fish tank, just an old fashioned claw foot bathtub with wheels bolted on...
There are two monkeys sitting at the coffee table drinking tea...
There is a toucan on top of the refrigerator and a Jaguars is fighting a wild boar in the guest room, while two capybaras are getting jiggy on the sofa...
No wonder the dog went nuts.
Well, that probably isn't what's going on...
Probably...
Either way, I shouldn't pry...
Get well soon.

ROFLMAO, leave it to McGyver!

And, no just the one dog and several cats. I haven't bothered to count the cats, honestly.......too many. 6, I think.

2 of them hate strangers, so I only know they are still alive because the food disappears in their room. I see one heading for under the bed when I walk in to feed them, so unless it's a black rat, they are in there eating the food.

Then there's the Momma cat who was feral and had kittens under the porch who also doesn't technically live here, but needs to be fed. Surprise, bro, she lives here and is now the tamest of the bunch. LOL!

I'm with you on the Komodo Dragon, though.

The basset came and sat by my feet last night trying to make up, but I told him I was still mad at him. Poor thing, I broke his heart. But, until the finger feels better, we'll both deal with "broken" things. Mean, I know.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yea, wouldn't impact me I never got passed two fingers when it came to typing, hope it mends quickly.

One positive note is the discovery of the ear infections, I bet the dog is feeling much better already. That's one the real downsides with dogs, they can' t tell us when they are sick and they tend to be very stoic when it comes to pain. No wonder the poor thing snapped.

Hope both you and the dog a back to full health very soon.

Thanks, Hornet. At least I can laugh about it now.

I think in the future, I'll bring a cattle prod or taser with me to pet sit. That'll get their attention in a hurry when they misbehave.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks, Hornet. At least I can laugh about it now.

I think in the future, I'll bring a cattle prod or taser with me to pet sit. That'll get their attention in a hurry when they misbehave.

Well if you can laugh at it you are on the mend and laughing always helps any recovery.

McGyver

Energetic
I think porches magically generate cats and kittens.
Then again, it's a little known fact that 75% of porches have wormholes to other far off distant porches under them which were created by an ancient race of technologically advanced cats.
Have you ever tracked a cat under a porch?
They go under and "poof"... Gone.
That's cause they end up in Bermuda or Singapore or somewhere and they turn around and laugh at your puzzled look.
Cats...

Hornet3d

Wise
I think porches magically generate cats and kittens.
Then again, it's a little known fact that 75% of porches have wormholes to other far off distant porches under them which were created by an ancient race of technologically advanced cats.
Have you ever tracked a cat under a porch?
They go under and "poof"... Gone.
That's cause they end up in Bermuda or Singapore or somewhere and they turn around and laugh at your puzzled look.
Cats...

Is that the same for decking? Is the sole use for cats? What if the original race of cats were not of this planet? If so that might mean I have aliens under the decking not rats, mind you they seem to like rat poison. Gives me another problem though if the rat poison has no effect I don't think alien invasion is covered under my insurance. Ohhh just remembered the rat poison was chocolate flavored perhaps they just like chocolate......now they must think they are allergic to it. Oh well, at least our chocolate is safe.