• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rough day

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm watching my brother's animals, he has a basset about 10 years old.

For some reason he has become seriously aggressive toward other dogs - starting with my boxer, a rescue.

So I was feeding them today and brother's dog growled at the boxer. He's young, so he ran down the hallway. I settled down brother's dog and called the boxer back to finish eating and when he did all hell broke lose.

Brother's dog attacked the boxer, full throated, ready to kill.

I grabbed both their harnesses to try and separate them, and somehow we ended up on the porch where they both dragged me around. If not for a neighbor intervening, I fear one of the dogs would have been killed.

I'm bruised practically everywhere, sore and have a broken finger (got twisted in the harnesses).

Today, I am not a happy pet lover.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, goodness - you poor thing! Glad the neighbor did intervene so it wasn't even worse.
:grouphug:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Glad the neighbor did intervene so it wasn't even worse.
I'll say, could've wound up being a broken wrist, or even a broken arm. Glad it wasn't worse, and hope the broken finger heels quickly. :grouphug:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wow, what a rough day indeed. So sorry that happened to you. The pups must be feeling the fallout, too in their own way. Aggression like that doesn't dissipate easily. So glad you had a neighbor to assist you and that you're here to tell the tale.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Rest up Traci, I hope the medical bill isn't too high. When I walk Marley, he often drags me around trying to get at other dogs. He is very strong too, often I get home and the leash has marked my hands from him pulling on it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, I am up and moving, slowly. Truth be told, I ache practically everywhere but that tends to happen when 2 50-70 pound dogs drag you off your feet and around the porch.

We're installing a dog run today so we can separate the boys.

And, yeah, Bonnie....medical bills, touchy subject in the US most days but moreso right now while Congress fights to re-do the insurance market. Thank goodness, I have Medicare, which they haven't decided to mess with yet.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
One of my uncles was in Boston on holidays once and he got mugged. Had to have a few stitches in his forehead and some xrays and they kept him in hospital overnight. $33,000 was the bill, luckily his holiday insurance covered all but the first $150 which he had to pay himself. He rarely stops bitching about that $150.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
One of my uncles was in Boston on holidays once and he got mugged. Had to have a few stitches in his forehead and some xrays and they kept him in hospital overnight. $33,000 was the bill, luckily his holiday insurance covered all but the first $150 which he had to pay himself. He rarely stops bitching about that $150.

Yes, it is ridiculous. One day, we will end up with Single Payer healthcare. Our current system just doesn't work. If you ask me, medicine simply shouldn't be a for profit venture - and we have a Doctor in the family!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I bet you're hurting! Try to take it easy. The dog run sounds like a good plan!

sorry to har this traci hope u feel better soon and yr aching stops i have a cockatoo and he hormonal at the moment mating season and damn he gets me at times wen i clean and feed him and even for fusses rest as much as u can hun xx

McGyver

Energetic
I hope you don't have to watch them for very long...
I don't know if you've had to watch your brother's pets before, but sometimes with dogs when they are somewhere new or just not comfortable with, they try and reassert their pack status... Sometimes even a docile pup can get a bit murdery.
If it's at all possible, try and keep them individually separated at feeding time, because that is usually when I become the most likely to bite someone if I feel they might take my food.
You should see me and my daughter fight over a steak.
I also hope your finger heals soon.
I've been in the middle of a couple of dog fights and I know how ugly that can get, quickly... Not to mention that suddenly you feel like what was a previously nice pooch is now a sociopathic serial bitter.
Good luck and I hope they don't repeat that event again.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thank goodness, I have Medicare, which they haven't decided to mess with yet.
Bite your tongue Traci. Don't go giving them any ideas.

Anyway, take it easy, and rest up as much as you can. Good idea installing the dog run.

Hornet3d

Wise
Wow that is a rough day and upsetting enough without the broken finger, I hope it mends quickly and without too much pain or expense.

Our dog often pulls on the lead to get to other dogs but I don't think it is to be aggressive. Whatever the reason at around 550 pound he can pull and there is just one of him so I can appreciate to some degree what it was like, must have been really scary on numerous levels. Our dog has pulled my wife over a couple of times so there is some serious power there, not so with me but then it is one of the few times my weight has been and advantage.

I think aggression sometimes is the result of a dog feeling insecure/threatened but then I am no expert. Dog run seems a good idea both for you and the dogs safety.

Take care of yourself.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's pretty scary, Glitter. Since the Basset's aggression toward other dogs seems to be a new behavior and he is older, it is possible a physical or medical problem is causing the aggression. Even something as common as arthritis can cause a dog to become aggressive toward other dogs. If he's not been to the vet since the behavior started, it probably would be a good place to start.

Hope your finger heals quickly!

Dylan

Eager
I'm watching my brother's animals, he has a basset about 10 years old.

I've just seen this. I always thought Basset Hounds were very placid. One of our neighbours has two of them and they are always quiet and sleepy. When the owner walks them, he can't stop to talk because the dogs will flop down and fall asleep at the smallest opportunity. The only time I ever see them break a sweat is when my dog growls at them.

Hornet3d

Wise
That's pretty scary, Glitter. Since the Basset's aggression toward other dogs seems to be a new behavior and he is older, it is possible a physical or medical problem is causing the aggression. Even something as common as arthritis can cause a dog to become aggressive toward other dogs. If he's not been to the vet since the behavior started, it probably would be a good place to start.

Hope your finger heals quickly!

That is a fair point, I never thought of that as a cause.