• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember her??? Hint: She was a notorious criminal in the 70s, but still ran for president several times as a candidate for the Communist Party. And I remember she had a serious afro named after her.
1642438776563.png
1642439008444.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these??? I never used one but I do remember seeing them in movies and on The Andy Griffith show.
This was a partyline phone. I remember the more modern party line, but we never actually had one.
1642439307279.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
Party lines had nothing to do with the physical phone. They were annoying. Trying to call my grandma was frustrating sometimes. Some busybody on her party line talked a lot. :D

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Party lines had nothing to do with the physical phone. They were annoying. Trying to call my grandma was frustrating sometimes. Some busybody on her party line talked a lot. :D

Dana
Actually, that's both true and not true. Basically, a party line was just a phone circuit that was shared by several people. The phone was considered a partyline phone because, it couldn't be dialed. When you picked up the phone you asked the operator to connect you to your party. If someone was already on the line you had to wait until they finished talking.

DanaTA

Distinguished
My grandma had a phone with a dial, in the '60s, and had a party line. We'd get a busy signal when someone else in the "party" was on the phone.
Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
My grandma had a phone with a dial, in the '60s, and had a party line. We'd get a busy signal when someone else in the "party" was on the phone.
Dana
You're misunderstanding me. The phone above was called a "party line phone" it had a party line because you couldn't dial it. You had to pick it up and ask the operator to connect you. Your grandmother had a "party line" which was a closed loop phone circuit that several people or phones shared. Dial phones also had party lines. Case in point, the movie Pillow Talk where Doris Day and Rock Hudson share a party line on their phone.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Sorry, that's just a hand crank phone. No dials, no phone numbers. Cranking would connect to an operator and you would ask to be connected to a certain person. The operator may have asked, "What party are you trying to reach?" But it didn't mean party line, although in the early 1900s, there were many party lines due to low supply of copper wire during the wars. A party line was a looped line connected to two or more phones in close proximity, to save on copper. But mostly it was the operator using a switchboard to connect you to the desired receiving phone. Back then, operators had to know what they were doing. In larger communities, they had "exchanges", which were groups of connections in certain areas, and you could tell where in a neighborhood the phone was by the first two letters. Look at photos of switchboards...there were complex. o_O Teenagers today probably wouldn't know what to do with a rotary dial phone, let alone a hand crank phone! :D

I remember when we only had to dial 5 digits, then it changed to 7 digits. Eventually changed to 10 digits, prefixed by "1" even for going to a city/town that was outside the local exchange. These days, dialing "1" isn't required on IP land lines.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Agree totally with Dana. Phones and the type of line they were connected to are mutuality exclusive. I lived in a community where everyone was on the same line. Private (single user) phone lines were extremely expensive. The user paid for each telephone pole needed to connect them to the main trunk line and paid by the foot for the wire on the poles. The first pole off the main trunk and the wire to connected it were free. The first private line in my corner of the woods cost the owner a little over $1500 in 1965. It was paid for by his company when they couldn't contact the person due to an inability to connect due to the constant use of the single line coming into the community. Eighteen homes on the same line. We each had our own ring that we listened for. Not your ring. Not a call for you. Mine was 2 longs and a short. All the homes had dial phones. Not a crank phone to be seen though there were the odd ones in public private locations like general stores. Everyone had a 5 digit phone number.

As for the crank phone; it has nothing to do with party lines. A simple example was the single payphone about 25 miles from where I lived. A crank phone in a plexiglass box. You picked it up. Cranked the handle a few times to make it ring at the telephone operators home. Yes their home. If it was late you woke them up. The operator then in turn connected you to your party. Collect calls only as there was no way to put a coin in a phone. My Aunt was an operator for 47 years. One of the first. She died a few years back at 107 yrs old.

I had letter coded exchanges with 4 digits, 5, 7, and now 10 digit numbers.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember her??? Hint: She was a notorious criminal in the 70s, but still ran for president several times as a candidate for the Communist Party. And I remember she had a serious afro named after her.
View attachment 72072 View attachment 72073
Since no one seemed to remember or know her, that's Angela Davis. n 1970, guns belonging to Davis were used in an armed takeover of a courtroom in Marin County, California, in which four people were killed. Prosecuted for three capital felonies, including conspiracy to murder, she was held in jail for over a year before being acquitted of all charges in 1972. She was a professor and presidential candidate.

Only Jermaine Jackson and Don Cornelious had a 'fro that could compete. :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Is that a young Glenn Campbell, because that's the only Rhinestone Cowboy I can think of, and he certainly doesn't look like Wayne Newton, so how you could mix them up is a mystery to me.

eclark1894

Visionary
Is that a young Glenn Campbell, because that's the only Rhinestone Cowboy I can think of, and he certainly doesn't look like Wayne Newton, so how you could mix them up is a mystery to me.
I always thought that Wayne Newton and Glen Campbell looked alike. Especially when they were younger, and so was I. In fact, I remember hearing Newton on the Ed Sullivan show, and to be honest I at first thought he was a girl.
1642650861188.png