• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Yeah, I have a whole punch of pose scripts with something like the following included in them:

{
version
{
number 9​
}
runPythonScript !cjbDeleteAllDynHair.py​
}​

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
I haven't, not really. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear about me learning to write Assembly Language for the Z80 processor back in the 1980's (which is where my programming started).

I've picked up a book called "Python in a Nutshell", Poser comes with it's own "PoserPython Methods Manual.pdf" which details the Poser-specific extras, and I bugged heck out of a friend of mine who knows Python whenever I got stuck on something. But mostly it's general "I'd know how to do this in BASIC or C or Assembly, now how does that translate to Python?" for me.

I'm also only doing pretty gosh-darned simple scripts. I'm not writing War And Peace - it's mostly down to working logically, figuring things out, and trying them. Back in 2008 I hadn't worked out everything before I had to stop for Real-World reasons.

Cheers,

Cliff

PS Oh! PhilC did a wonderful little PDF to get anyone started in Python - "Python for Poser by PhilC"

eclark1894

Visionary
I haven't, not really. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear about me learning to write Assembly Language for the Z80 processor back in the 1980's (which is where my programming started).

I've picked up a book called "Python in a Nutshell", Poser comes with it's own "PoserPython Methods Manual.pdf" which details the Poser-specific extras, and I bugged heck out of a friend of mine who knows Python whenever I got stuck on something. But mostly it's general "I'd know how to do this in BASIC or C or Assembly, now how does that translate to Python?" for me.

I'm also only doing pretty gosh-darned simple scripts. I'm not writing War And Peace - it's mostly down to working logically, figuring things out, and trying them. Back in 2008 I hadn't worked out everything before I had to stop for Real-World reasons.

Cheers,

Cliff

PS Oh! PhilC did a wonderful little PDF to get anyone started in Python - "Python for Poser by PhilC"
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting that one.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I'm REALLY confused.... are you trying to make poser HAIR PROP to sell, or the python script to put hair on, in Poser? You know I'm getting ready to port the hair of the Tiny short hair cat to the HW cat FOR MY OWN USE ONLY to save my poor hands from the post-work brushing out all the time....I'd sure love to have just enough hair on the HW cat to do the same... (ie: just have a hairy outline but not loose my stripes (of my own tabby maps).

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting that one.

A whole bunch of Python scripts. Primarily to make it easier to distribute Poser Hair, but also to make it easier to tweak the fur. It's partly end-user, partly creator tweak tools.

Here are some of the scripts that a hair designer might use in the creation and distribution of their hair/fur:

CREATOR/ADVANCED USER
1. Cover a critter in fur (see the toon mouse in images earlier in the thread). This script is unfinished. No user interface at all yet :(
2. A bunch of buttons to tweak the fur - make it thicker, thinner, shorter, longer, stuff like that across the whole body with one button (per function). Some of those are done, some still need to be written. Minor task to retool the same code or make the existing code work for multiple parameters.
3. Put the same MATerial across all the hair across the body (set the materials up on one body part, save as .mt5, then spread the material across all the other body parts with one command).
4. Save the fur such that it is distributable (i.e. does not include the figure that the hair is on).

Some tweaking to set up things like multiple MATerials for different colour cats, and so on.

The hair can then be distributed without need for the original figure.

Then of course from an end-user perspective I see the workflow more as

END USER
1. One button to load the fur onto a compatible figure (i.e. HW cat fur will load on HW cat and possibly other figures based on the same mesh, if any)
2. MATerial loading buttons that can change the material across the whole figure in one go. (see #3 above)
3. The same tweak buttons to adjust things like how many hairs need to be rendered (the buttons from #2 above). For example, if a Big Cat is in the foreground it needs more hairs to render nicely than it does if it is further away.

I am NOT out to design any hair at all. The only hairs I'm making are either for fun or in furtherance of testing the Python routines. At least, that was the plan.

Cheers,

Cliff

Last edited:

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Yes - in fact it should work back as far as Poser 10/Pro 2014, maybe Poser 9/Pro 2012. any further than that would be up to chance at present ;)

Last edited:
Cool! I'm on a smaller monitor set to a resolution below it's recommended settings. Would that be a concern? Due to failing eye sight, I have to use 1600 x 900 or I can't see quite a few programs' interface's to work... :cry: It makes some newer programs' interfaces unusable for me, though (things care too big).

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Here are some of the current batch of thumbs for the routines. They may be redone if I can make them better.

Got to run - supper is getting cold!

Cheers,

Cliff

ApplyMAT_AllDynHair.png

DeleteAllDynHair.png

HairDensity-.png

HairDensity+.png

TipWidth-.png

TipWidth+.png

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
"Wooly Willy"? Now THAT is not a render I am willing to post, or even create!

Musing overnight has helped me work out how I think I can minimise the user interface for covering a figure in hair and has suggested a few more tweaks to the overall offering. Basically it's all about trying to reduce the amount of effort for the user (and in nearly all cases I consider myself as the user, so I design to reduce the effort for ME to use the tools).

With regard to the interface thumbnails, one thing I considered to try and improve clarity was to make my own "Toon Hair Prop" that would basically be a few black cylinders with different morphs to represent length, tip size, root size etc. It's a bit more work so I used actual dynamic hair and was surprised how well the first couple seemed to represent usage. Now that there are more buttons I find myself leaning more towards a custom hair prop for clarity as the difference between some parameters (e.g. Hair Density and either Root or Tip thickness) is not as clear as I would like. Especially as I may change from pairs of controls (+ and -) to triplets of controls (+, -, and number).

So - tiggersprings in particular. Ball is in your court - do folks think that a version of the existing thumbs work on your screen or do we think I need a custom hair prop to make things clearer?

Cheers,

Cliff

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The current thumbs work for me (especially if there is a corresponding name to go with)