• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Project Feasability: Universal Feather Addons

ockham

True iridescence shaders are possible...this is from 3Delight in Shadermixer and the colour changes with the light
I was attempting to make an iridescent silk taffeta at the time. I never quite got it where I wanted but then I don't really understand the math I just play in ShaderMixer...but I believe that someone who does understand it more fully could do an iridescent shader with no problems.
View attachment 22726
View attachment 22727
That's beautiful!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Sorry late to the party! Busy with RL things.

I have these vignettes in my Regalia set for Mada's Flower fairy and also I did these 2D wings would LOVE if someone could make them 3D or make a prop to trans map them out.
Vingettes-RSEA-and-Stones.jpg

Reg2.jpg

Untitled-4 copy.jpg

View attachment 22756
Silver-and-Gold-Wings-Vinge.jpg Raven-Wings-Vignettes.jpg
Main 232 copy.jpg

These are 2D and I will have them at a different store or they will be at a different store not sure if anyone is interested in having them be 2D here?

Main Image.jpg

Red.jpg Black.jpg Pink.jpg White.jpg FeatherWings.jpg

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
A while back someone mentioned that they had need of 'feathers they could add anywhere'. I'm presuming they mean bird type feathers of course. So I sat down to think of what one could need feather props for, and what they would need to do.

The longest feathers in the world from a wild bird are from the Great Argus Pheasant at about four and a half feet, to which the male Peacock display feathers come close, ranging from one to three feet long. However the longest feathers of all are from the Japanese domestic chicken species Onagadori which has tail feathers up to twenty-seven feet long due to a mutation. The smallest feathers are probably from the Bee hummingbird, which is itself about two inches long, so the feathers are itsy bitsy.

There are natural bird feathers in pretty much every colour possible - sometimes all on the same bird. Some species have an iridescent or rainbow sheen. Peacocks are well known for the metallic sheen to the blue green feathers as well as that distinctive purple and gold eye pattern at the tips. Feathers have a variety of patterns, dots, lines, dashes, and fades.

Use 1 - the simplest. Feathers to add to hats, jewelry, masks, pen nibs, and what have you.

Use 2 - Feathers to parent to a figure to add feathered tails, wings, ankles, crests and whatnot

So for use one what would I want a feather addon to do? well feathers for hats range in types from softer down and plume feathers, to longer pheasant and peacock feathers, and even trimmed feathers for those 1950's hats.

So that would need a good range of textures, and a number of shaping and movement morphs. A second identically mapped and morphed feather with rigging + easy pose would also be nice for more exact control and those fancy curled feathers.

On to use 2!
I've looked at a variety of feathered humanoids, dragons, pegasae, felids, canines and other fantastical creatures. I am ignoring the fully feathered wing for bipeds or quadrupeds as those have already been made several times over.

The artist Tachit at Deviantart has some excellent feathered critters with a variety of plumage types and locations.
Selenic Stargazer Quillix
Cardinal Feonix
Highland Guard

Looking at these three examples I can see the following seven structures
1) the single feather as for use 1
2) the rigged single feather as use 1
3) a rigged single fan to use mainly on tail feathers (with shaping morphs)
4) a rigged half fan suitable for the end feathers on a wing, the primaries mainly (with shaping morphs)
5) a long thin row of single feathers suitable to be used as a tuft along legs and arms (with morphs)
6) a double layered row of feathers which can be used for the main flight surfaces (with morphs to taper ends and arch as needed)
7) a small sheet of feathers say 6x6 in layered rows which can be settled along a back or chest area

Of course the underlying creature itself would need matching textures with some flatter feathers on them, but I'm concerning myself mainly with the actual mesh objects here.

Looking at this list I would say that one product, with possible additional textures, would be feasible with a bit of work. The rigging is simple enough in poser and since I know it can be managed with poser4 era rigging, I'm fairly confident it would work in DS as well.

Considering the range of patterns and colours in bird feathers, there could be a number of expansion textures as well as character skin + feather expansions for various feathered creatures. (I'm sure someone wants a feathered dragon, right?)

Audience Participation Section:

Have I covered all the needs for a feather addon set? Are there additional structure types I have not considered?

Is there more than one person interested in a set like this? Would there be interest in a Merchant Resource licensed version so the feathers can be included in clothing and character sets?

LM
Yap those would be awesome!! For the cat and Harry! These are all mixed 2d and 3d images all the feathers are 2D
catula.jpg
Aztec copy.jpg

All custom textures on this one it's the Lilirthai Strigoia wings and tail set just parented to Harry
merged multi copy.jpg

Last edited:

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I do a ton of characters with feathered wings, so I end up doing a lot of feather iridescence with specularity. ( Akashakitteh , The Cockatrice )You can combine specular nodes to alter the amount of colored sheen and white specular together, you can layer them, all sorts of things if you play with the nodes. I am seeing possibilities for more shader packs here.. ;) I would be very interested in feathers as a MR. One thing I did not see you list (unless I missed it, I did just wake up) is a puff of down that can be tucked in here and there to fill gaps. Usually I have to postwork stuff in like that, and I loathe doing postwork! You can see in this one where I would have benefitted from a patch of smoothing/cover feathers such as what you covered above: http://orig06.deviantart.net/31cc/f/2014/001/6/3/zetarris__life_aspect_by_minyassa-d70b5t3.png