• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Project Feasability: Universal Feather Addons

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
A while back someone mentioned that they had need of 'feathers they could add anywhere'. I'm presuming they mean bird type feathers of course. So I sat down to think of what one could need feather props for, and what they would need to do.

The longest feathers in the world from a wild bird are from the Great Argus Pheasant at about four and a half feet, to which the male Peacock display feathers come close, ranging from one to three feet long. However the longest feathers of all are from the Japanese domestic chicken species Onagadori which has tail feathers up to twenty-seven feet long due to a mutation. The smallest feathers are probably from the Bee hummingbird, which is itself about two inches long, so the feathers are itsy bitsy.

There are natural bird feathers in pretty much every colour possible - sometimes all on the same bird. Some species have an iridescent or rainbow sheen. Peacocks are well known for the metallic sheen to the blue green feathers as well as that distinctive purple and gold eye pattern at the tips. Feathers have a variety of patterns, dots, lines, dashes, and fades.

Use 1 - the simplest. Feathers to add to hats, jewelry, masks, pen nibs, and what have you.

Use 2 - Feathers to parent to a figure to add feathered tails, wings, ankles, crests and whatnot

So for use one what would I want a feather addon to do? well feathers for hats range in types from softer down and plume feathers, to longer pheasant and peacock feathers, and even trimmed feathers for those 1950's hats.

So that would need a good range of textures, and a number of shaping and movement morphs. A second identically mapped and morphed feather with rigging + easy pose would also be nice for more exact control and those fancy curled feathers.

On to use 2!
I've looked at a variety of feathered humanoids, dragons, pegasae, felids, canines and other fantastical creatures. I am ignoring the fully feathered wing for bipeds or quadrupeds as those have already been made several times over.

The artist Tachit at Deviantart has some excellent feathered critters with a variety of plumage types and locations.
Selenic Stargazer Quillix
Cardinal Feonix
Highland Guard

Looking at these three examples I can see the following seven structures
1) the single feather as for use 1
2) the rigged single feather as use 1
3) a rigged single fan to use mainly on tail feathers (with shaping morphs)
4) a rigged half fan suitable for the end feathers on a wing, the primaries mainly (with shaping morphs)
5) a long thin row of single feathers suitable to be used as a tuft along legs and arms (with morphs)
6) a double layered row of feathers which can be used for the main flight surfaces (with morphs to taper ends and arch as needed)
7) a small sheet of feathers say 6x6 in layered rows which can be settled along a back or chest area

Of course the underlying creature itself would need matching textures with some flatter feathers on them, but I'm concerning myself mainly with the actual mesh objects here.

Looking at this list I would say that one product, with possible additional textures, would be feasible with a bit of work. The rigging is simple enough in poser and since I know it can be managed with poser4 era rigging, I'm fairly confident it would work in DS as well.

Considering the range of patterns and colours in bird feathers, there could be a number of expansion textures as well as character skin + feather expansions for various feathered creatures. (I'm sure someone wants a feathered dragon, right?)

Audience Participation Section:

Have I covered all the needs for a feather addon set? Are there additional structure types I have not considered?

Is there more than one person interested in a set like this? Would there be interest in a Merchant Resource licensed version so the feathers can be included in clothing and character sets?

LM

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
What a cool idea. :bee:

My thoughts are two fold. Although you've listed out two different uses for the feathers, I'm not sure that means they would have to be different props/figures. I mean of course there are a huge variety of feathers out there, like you said, and you might want different models (or clever morphing might do it for you).

Are you familiar with @Ken1171 's Universal Anime Head? Following a similar procedure, you could make them (whether they are figures or props) to simply parent where need be. So it wouldn't matter if you were adding a plume to a hat, or feather's to the ankles' of a horse/pegasus. Either way you could parent it to the appropriate part of the base figure, and have it follow the movements.

This also strikes me as something @NapalmArsenal would be interested in, although I know she's got a few things on her plate. If you look at her Regalia for Flower Fairy Outfit for Dawn - A NapalmArsenal 3D Creation she made some feathers that can be added in post work, so I know she's played around with the textures for feathers.

And I think the idea of a Merchant Resource set is great. I certainly would be willing to pay extra above the normal cost for a set I could integrate into outfits I was making.

Also when looking at the images you linked to and your list of 7 structures, 1, 3, and 5 seems like the most useful. Of course similar to the way many plant and flower packs are, you could have the same meshes, just grouped in different ways to be quickly usable by people.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. Hope my feedback helps.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I figured the structure type pieces would be built using the single feather, so all the verts and maps match up. The idea there is ease-of-use so rather than loading and painstakingly aligning 30 or so flight feathers along the arm of a velociraptor, you could load 3 rows of ten and spend less time pulling your hair out. I can't be the only one who hates lining things up in poser :p

The fan and half fan would be rigged to fold and unfold, which would be a royal nuisance with loose feathers.

None of these are conforming items, just props and articulated props that can be placed wherever and parented to the figures arm/leg/head/etc. Hence the 'Universal' in the title :)

LM

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I think it would be great as a merchant resource.
Now that they have discovered that Dinosaurs had feathers, someone might like add feathers on them.
Some of the Dinosaurs also had flight feathers so there are many possibilities for a resource pack.

With the HiveWire Dragon in the making there is a whole new market for the feathers. :)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I agree with those who spoke above. You seemed to cover everything. Feathered fans for Renaissance, Feathered mohawks for bird-people, Feathered collars for fashion or bird-folks. Feathered skirts for fairies. Sets of 2-3 feathers staggered vertically on a thong or chain for hair decorations. Feathered cuffs for ankles and wrists for tribal shamen. Overlapping "plates" for cloaks for selfsame shamen. Feathers for hat-bands, feathered fascinators. Feathered cat toys.

Ohh! Feathers for fishing flies!

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Oh yes and yes I think covered every thing and I would be another happy to have this as a MR too

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
After going to Disney in FL years ago and seeing all the wonderful Mardi Gras wall art in my hotel and in the gift shops, I was inspired to make a set of feathered masks. Daz told me they were too "niche" for them to sell. The next week or two they came out with face mask tattoos. ???? Ah,well!

A few years after I decided to sell them on another website but, when I hit the power button on my computer, it suffered a hard disk crash! Ahhhhh! Everything was lost! I soured my backups for it but had not done one following creating the props.

Anyway, just Google "feather masks" and you'll see lots of inspiration! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, I've only skimmed through the posts here, but the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions feathers, is a full feathered headdress for a Native American Chief. ;)

I don't think we have one of those here in the store, but it might appear at some point.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Great idea... we need to create a decent Benton Harbor :)

upload_2017-2-10_12-43-48.png

ockham

If you can make iridescence work in CGI you'll be a true magician. I thought about this once and gave up. I don't think there's any 'honest' way to emulate diffraction, but you may be able to treat each pixel as a sort of prism, giving different colors depending on incidence angle of light.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
There are more or less honest and good iridescence shaders for Cycles and Iray that can be tweaked to work for feathers. Probably dedicated map for this will be needed.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
True iridescence shaders are possible...this is from 3Delight in Shadermixer and the colour changes with the light
I was attempting to make an iridescent silk taffeta at the time. I never quite got it where I wanted but then I don't really understand the math I just play in ShaderMixer...but I believe that someone who does understand it more fully could do an iridescent shader with no problems.
frilled dress iri dress.jpg

turquoise princess.jpg

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Trick with feathers is that directions of barbs should be taken in consideration and it must be in synchro with geometry and color map. Same with aniso specularity for feathers.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I imagine that using a point brick would help with that at least in 3delight. I've never tried it with light effects but I've used it with displacement. Damn...now I want to go and see if it will work and I have too many other things to do. : (

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
For pearlescence, iridescence and colour shifting there are a couple boondoggles to get the look. Mostly it means NOT thinking about the fancy dancy optical properties of the whosit of the whatsit and instead thinking about 'what does this thing LOOK like'. I've done a number of silly things with using a rainbow colored texture in the specular slot, the rainbow cells node in the specular slot, stacking several gradient nodes and gotten some decent effects. I had a nice car paint that shifted colour depending on your angle, doesn't work in SF yet though.

For example many crows have a blue or green iridescent sheen (and some people think that raptors do too). So I'd start with my blackish feather, with its normal and bump maps and then slap either a node with blue-green colours or a texture into the specular and see what happens. If you get it right, the colour will only show at certain angles with a texture due to the bump/normal map, just like the actual feather.

LM

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds good...I've found in DS that using an edge blend brick/node helps. The two images above don't have any textures that's mainly using edgeblend bricks mixed together...more than one so I get more than two colours.