• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser props in DS and some basic DS How-to

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
No problem, Earl. You're welcome. :) Give a shout-out if you run into anything else that has you stuck.

Oh - while I'm thinking of it - I wanted to warn you. When saving materials, make sure you put a copy of the textures into the DS Runtime/Texture folder, and remove the textures from the Poser/Runtime/Textures folder to test.

The reason I mention that, is because if you have textures installed in both places, Studio will default to reading from the Poser textures folder. Whereas if the textures are ONLY installed to the DS textures folder, then Studio will read from that one instead.

So it's very easy to pack something up and a DS-only person who does not install the Poser version, could end up missing textures, while it all would work fine on your end prior to packaging. I always remove the textures from the Poser textures folder for testing for just that reason.

I just wanted to give you a heads-up on that. I ran into that oopsie myself when I first started packaging things for Studio. A user sent me an email mentioning the missing files, and told me about that quirk. I checked my own install, and sure enough it was calling from the Poser textures folder... so now I just remove textures temporarily from the Poser folder when I'm testing for a DS-conversion of a Poser product. :)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Great stuff here! Seliah, you're a natural at teaching!

Best of luck, Earl! I have every confidence you will get it done!

eclark1894

Visionary
Thanks, Lisa. Unfortunately, I won't find out until tomorrow after work. I sometimes multitask, and I was making a high chair for Luna in Blender when it froze up on me. I may have to dump it, which means i may lose everything, including the will to go on.:( Poor Luna. No high chair.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Like Lisa said, great stuff! (honest, that is what I was gonna say before I read HER post :))

One little extra thing to mention that I learned from Paul.

When saving something that has a data folder (which props will), be sure that the library you are working with is the FIRST library showing up in DS in the DAZ Studio Format section. That is where DS will save all the data files, and it will prevent issues for people later.

eclark1894

Visionary
Like Lisa said, great stuff! (honest, that is what I was gonna say before I read HER post :))

One little extra thing to mention that I learned from Paul.

When saving something that has a data folder (which props will), be sure that the library you are working with is the FIRST library showing up in DS in the DAZ Studio Format section. That is where DS will save all the data files, and it will prevent issues for people later.
Thanks, Alisa, nice to know. Going to bed now.:sleep:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Pen,

I didn't do that because it never really seems to work for me, and I didn't want to leave Earl pulling his hair out if it misbehaved for him as well.

Every time I've tried to use that, what happens is on loading, the parented props come in supposedly parented, but fail to move with their parent. I end up having to delete, load, and position the prop again.

So for my experience, it just wasn't working, and I didn't want to leave him grinding his gears trying to fight with it in case it failed to work for him...
Fair enough...I haven't noticed any problems but you've probably used it more than I have. I only played around a bit with things like this...it was originally done for Genesis but loaded smart propped to Dawn and just needed minor alterations to work with her. Then posed the figure and everything followed as it should. Also used it with any hairs I've found difficult to convert with autofit but that hasn't been many.
trees.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hmm. I might try it again. Maybe it was a fluke, or maybe I was doing something wrong with it... very strange. I do know some DS bugs don't seem to behave predictably. I'll give it another try later on today and see what I get. I think the last time I tried to mess with the smart parenting data I was using 4.7, though... might be more reliable in 4.8....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure which version I saved these in and that is a good point that the bugs aren't always predictable

eclark1894

Visionary
By the way, who owns Luna? I ask because I don't, and when I finish this high chair I need someone to see if she will fit in it.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
By the way, who owns Luna? I ask because I don't, and when I finish this high chair I need someone to see if she will fit in it.

I have Luna, Dawn, Dusk, and Harry, and have both Poser and DS versions installed. :)

I'm not sure which version I saved these in and that is a good point that the bugs aren't always predictable

Yeah. DS is famous for the "disappearing bug" act. :cautious: I'll try it again, though, once I've slept some. Not going to try it now as I'm winding down for the night here. But now you've got me curious to see if maybe it will work better on 4.8, LOL.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, several things, but most important... I went to full screen mode and have NO earthly idea how to get out of it. Also, this chair is stark white. I can select a surface, but no clue on how to change anything on it. I want to just take this into Poser and fix everything then transfer back into DS, but that won't help me learn anything.

chair.png

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
To get out of fullscreen mode, hold down your SHIFT key and press the F11 key with it. SHIFT+F11 is the only way I know to get out of that - other than killing the task in the task manager so that Studio does NOT save the "user state" of the program. LOL

I'll get something up on how to work with the surfaces and materials in a couple minutes for you. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Uhm, if the shift+F11 isn't working... my best suggestion would be to kill the task via the Windows task manager, and then when you re-open the program, it SHOULD open back up with it's usual interface.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what else to do to get out of full screen... let me do some digging.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
OK... Vaskania posted this in response to another user asking the same question regarding getting out of Fullscreen mode over on the Daz forums. I don't know if this will help... the Shift+F11 works for me, so I haven't had to do any of this :

Click F3 to bring up the customize menu. In the left side pane scroll down until you get to Window, expand that and right click to set a hotkey for Full Screen mode. Apply and accept. Now hit that key and you'll have a toggle. I think the default at one point was Shift + F11.