• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser fur - Superfly

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
If you'd like you can try this shader. Simple Hair Trans Cycles 4.mt5 It's is a simple Cycles Hair shader I made for hair that uses transparency, but it should work fine for strand hair. Just set it up like this.
Thank you for trying Me195. Unfortunately it doesn't work at my end. The hair group turns black and the edges are as chopped as the SF image I posted above. The shader doesn't show up either in my "shader window" so I could adjust it and play with it. I'm using Poser pro with latest updates.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Tiny, he has it set up as a Compound node. You should see a little white square with a down arrow in it, and if you click on that, it will open ALL the nodes he used to create the shader.

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Tiny, he has it set up as a Compound node. You should see a little white square with a down arrow in it, and if you click on that, it will open ALL the nodes he used to create the shader.
Yes I know but thing is it doesn't even show up in my material. If it did I could, as you say, see all the nodes and adjust it and play with it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Do you have your Material Room set up as Advanced? There's two tabs near the top, and the second one is Advanced, and that shows you everything. The other tab is for beginners who aren't into advanced nodes and such.

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
I found the tabs far to the right just didn't notice the scrollbar had shown up. :)
Anyway, pic shows result using it and the correct texture. The light colour is the fur with these nodes. Not much different from the default SP results unfortunately.
nodes.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I found the tabs far to the right just didn't notice the scrollbar had shown up. :)
Ahhhh, yes. For some reason, and I have no idea why, when I open a material setup someone else created, they're not always at the left, or at least the Root node isn't on the left. I often see that, and all the additional nodes are way to the right, or all the way down. Of course then, at least, if you see the Root node, you can follow the node connectors to see the other nodes.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It looks lovely in FF, pity about the SF tho it might be worth having even if you say its for FF renders only just to be able to have furry Poser animals.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never thought to try it out in FireFly. I may have to do that . . . you know . . . out of curiosity. ;)

Me195

Extraordinary
Anyway, pic shows result using it and the correct texture. The light colour is the fur with these nodes. Not much different from the default SP results unfortunately.
View attachment 63397
Ahhhh, yes. For some reason, and I have no idea why, when I open a material setup someone else created, they're not always at the left, or at least the Root node isn't on the left. I often see that, and all the additional nodes are way to the right, or all the way down. Of course then, at least, if you see the Root node, you can follow the node connectors to see the other nodes.
I'm afraid the scrollbar thing is my fault. Everything loads in the material room based on the size and location of the window it was created in. In my case my entire right monitor houses the material room.

I think I see the problem with the shader and SuperFly. In the Firefly render Firefly recognizes that it is strand hair it's working with and softens and tapers the strands. Superfly doesn't do anything automatically. I think the next step is for me to make a Cycles simple strand shader that tells Superfly that it's working with strand hair. I believe that is accomplished with my arch nemesis the Input Node more specifically the Hairinfo Input Node. I could be wrong in my assumptions, but I'll give it a shot.

I only suggested my shader because I got this result with it.
CatDyn4.jpg

It looked like a promising beginning.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, that's probably why I see that with other people's material nodes. I keep forgetting folks like to float a lot of their panels, and in your case, in a totally different monitor.

You know, there's a little script goodie I have that makes the nodes neat, and I often use it. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I downloaded it. It's called Node Tidier, and if I had to guess, I think it was by Structure, but I checked his freebies at Renderosity, and it's not there.

If I remember where I got it, I'll post about it here.

Me195

Extraordinary
Ohhhh, that's probably why I see that with other people's material nodes. I keep forgetting folks like to float a lot of their panels, and in your case, in a totally different monitor.

You know, there's a little script goodie I have that makes the nodes neat, and I often use it. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I downloaded it. It's called Node Tidier, and if I had to guess, I think it was by Structure, but I checked his freebies at Renderosity, and it's not there.

If I remember where I got it, I'll post about it here.
Thanks Miss B, I'll look that up.

Here is my first attempt at a simple Cycles Strand hair shader.
CatDyn5.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a step forward or a step backwards, but it's a step.
Hairshaderv1.jpg

I'll keep trying.

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Here is my first attempt at a simple Cycles Strand hair shader.
I'm not sure if it's a step forward or a step backwards, but it's a step.
I can try it on my cat. Can you make another material file, please. (I'm so lazy) ;):)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks Miss B, I'll look that up.
OK, I finally found where I got it. Glitterati had posted that she had it. You can see her post here --> Node Tidier and it is by Structure, he just never posted it anywhere for download.

Also note in the followinng post by BB that he has a script as well, and I think his works better while you're creating a material. The Node Tidier only works on already existing material files.

Me195

Extraordinary
OK, I finally found where I got it. Glitterati had posted that she had it. You can see her post here --> Node Tidier and it is by Structure, he just never posted it anywhere for download.

Also note in the followinng post by BB that he has a script as well, and I think his works better while you're creating a material. The Node Tidier only works on already existing material files.
Thank you. I have BB's script and will install it.

Me195

Extraordinary
I have found a way to control how soft fur looks.
CatDyn6.jpg

Hairshaderv1b.jpg

You just need to lower the Factor on MixClosure_3 and it will get softer.

While this is a step in the right direction, It raises another problem. The closer I get to it looking like real fur the longer it takes to render. I have an idea on how to solve that problem, but I'm still left with the issue of using the shader to control the thickness of the hair. The taper you see on the individual hairs in my renders is done by the dynamic hair settings in the hair room. I have the tip width set as low as it can go. I'll keep working on it, and post if I have good results.

Me195

Extraordinary
I've made some progress. My progress was hindered by my hair simulation settings so I made a new simulation to work from.
Tiger Dyna 1.jpg

The tiger on the left has dynamic fur on his face, top of his head, and behind his ears only. I have the default tiger for comparison on the right. The mane and chin hair are still the default hair objects that use transparency.
Hairshaderv2.jpg

Before I get into my needlessly long explanation here is the download for the shader Simple Strand 2 Cycles.mt5

I've fixed the super long render times by adding a diffuse node at the beginning of the shader. That will take some of the stress of Superfly for when calculating visible colors. You control how much detail comes from the texture and how much detail comes from transmission and reflection with the first MixClosure node directly under the CyclesSurface node.

I still have not figured out how to use the shader to control the thickness of the hair like Firefly does. I've also run into another factor. I also don't don't know how to control the strength of the shadows created by each strand with the shader like Firefly does. Superfly is suppose to be a PBR engine so it should do it automatically, but like I said it doesn't seem to want to do anything automatically. I still believe that I can use input nodes to solve these issues. Still even with the new issue this is another step in the right direction. I will keep trying and report back on the results.

On a side note I am very impressed by the quality of the texture on the Tiger by itself. Great Work CWRW.

Me195

Extraordinary
Here's the latest.
CatDyn10.jpg

Hairshaderv3.jpg

Here is the latest shader download Simple Strand 3 Cycles.mt5

Please ignore the shaved parts of the cat. I was testing the effects of my shader on shorter hair.
I've made the shader control some of the thickness and taper of the individual strands using transparency. Unfortunately there is no Cycles Color Ramp Node, or at least I didn't see one. Without the Cycles version of the the color ramp like the one in blender, the color ramp seems to have trouble controlling the render time. If you are using the shader on normal fur length color 3 should also be black. That should improve render times.

The mix between the power of the texture and the power of the translucency is done by adjusting the Fac on the node marked MixClosure. The Fac on that node in the picture is at .7. if you need it to match the texture color more just lower the value. Here it is at .2
CatDyn11.jpg

This is yet another step in the right direction. I'll keep trying. On a side note my joke of making the name of the shader Simple Strand is coming to fruition.