• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser clones for clothing conversions

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The reality is that the best result if from a manual conversion. That said if the figures are very similar it is possible to get quite good results from Autofit for some items. The bigger the difference in the character size and shape the more issues you will have.

That's the same conclusion I came to. Thanks for the feedback! ^____^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I bet a lot people will keep asking these same questions over time. Some programs, like iClone, use a single figure for all purposes, so the clothing always fits no matter what shape or gender the figure mesh assumes. But in Poser\DS, we have to deal with multiple random figures, and projection quality is not up to the task yet.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I don't know what you mean by projection, but I find that Poser does morph transfer VERY WELL if you pay attention to mesh density. Transferring morphs should always be from a HIGHER density figure to the lower density one and will transfer very nicely. For example, if I have a fairly high polygon model I need to transfer morphs to I use the DEV KITS supplied, but if my model is low poly, I transfer the morphs from my MultiPurpose Gown or Afrodite-Ohki's Bodysuits which are both lower density than the DEV Kits. Some folks have even told me they can't use the DEV KITS because they are so high density they slow down their computers and I advise to use the lower poly models which work fine for them.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I bet a lot people will keep asking these same questions over time. Some programs, like iClone, use a single figure for all purposes, so the clothing always fits no matter what shape or gender the figure mesh assumes. But in Poser\DS, we have to deal with multiple random figures, and projection quality is not up to the task yet.
That was what I loved about the original genesis. Vendors didn't handle it very well so Daz caved as they had realised it also cut into their sales. But it was an amazing figure.
I don't know what you mean by projection, but I find that Poser does morph transfer VERY WELL if you pay attention to mesh density. Transferring morphs should always be from a HIGHER density figure to the lower density one and will transfer very nicely. For example, if I have a fairly high polygon model I need to transfer morphs to I use the DEV KITS supplied, but if my model is low poly, I transfer the morphs from my MultiPurpose Gown or Afrodite-Ohki's Bodysuits which are both lower density than the DEV Kits. Some folks have even told me they can't use the DEV KITS because they are so high density they slow down their computers and I advise to use the lower poly models which work fine for them.
This is what I've heard about templates also that higher quality of mesh will give better results. Dawn only has a few official templates from Hivewire and the Dvl Lvd templates were an experiment on his part and still need work after using them especially on long dresses. I think Paul and Chris underestimate how important having good templates is. The Genesis 8 was are amazing and results are generally much better when using them.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I was referring to reverse morph method suggested in this thread. The projection is done from figure to clothing, and then applied in reverse. In many cases, the clothing mesh will be denser than the figure, and there isn't much we can do about that.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That was what I loved about the original genesis. Vendors didn't handle it very well so Daz caved as they had realised it also cut into their sales. But it was an amazing figure.

This is what I've heard about templates also that higher quality of mesh will give better results. Dawn only has a few official templates from Hivewire and the Dvl Lvd templates were an experiment on his part and still need work after using them especially on long dresses. I think Paul and Chris underestimate how important having good templates is. The Genesis 8 was are amazing and results are generally much better when using them.
The thing is, I started utilizing templates because of those included with Dawn. It simply would not have occurred to me without the success I had with the Dawn template. Of course, we greatly expanded their use with La Femme and L'Homme, but the idea originated with Dawn for me.

I find that using a well rigged item, close in style and poly density to do the transfer works with just about anything. So, for instance, before the DEV Kits were polished in La Femme, I took great care to rig a dress I knew I could use as a template and started all my rigging by transferring the joint zones and morphs FROM that dress before I did any other rigging. The base rigging was nearly complete when doing it that way and clean up and refinement was all that was needed, saving a great deal of time.

With the Dev Kits, there were specific morphs that required serious clean up and work to make them look right before the Dev Kits were developed (I cussed every time I had to work on La Femme's Body Kit Rubenesque morph, for instance) but found them nearly perfect after transfer from the high poly Dev Kit! And I won't even list all the breast morphs I no longer had to painstakingly remove boob socks and chest crushing from, LOL. (Blackhearted's Push Up Bra morph was my nightmare!)

It's really not much different now from spherical rigging, where we just changed the object call in the CR2 and had most of the rigging done way back when.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Speaking of manual conversions.......I manually converted several V4 pieces to La Femme over the weekend. Sojourner was one of my favorite 3D pieces ever, so I did it first. I took about 5 hours to export the object files, bring them into the modeler, perfect the fit to La Femme, then export, group and rig for her. Sojourner on LF with original UV maps and textures.

Sojourner.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Lovely work Traci!
Thank you, Pen.

I am seriously considering setting up a conversion "service" for the V4/M4 libraries to Dawn/Dusk and La Femme/L'Homme. I would, of course, give the original vendor first right of refusal to accept and market the Poser version, but I find most of them are not interested. I've done a number of DS conversions to Poser including DM's White Spring Collections 3 and 4, some background props from FE at DAZ, Stonemason's Streets of London, as well as clothing. None of them are interested in supporting Poser versions.

Of course, the user would have to prove they own the original versions to purchase a conversion since it uses they original object and textures. That makes them useless to those who would conspire to steal the conversions since they would be useless without the originals.

But, if the impediment to acceptance of Dawn/Dusk and La Femme/L'Homme is the massive catalog of V4/M4 stuff it makes sense to eliminate the impediment, doesn't it?