• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 12

Hornet3d

Wise
I also believe that there are no plans to deactivate Poser 11, after all that is a large part of their potential market for Poser 12 even if people do not upgrade on day one, the potential is still there. The reason for not supporting upgrades for the earlier versions was "There's a complexity in upgrades from the other versions," Lemon explained. "Simply it takes more resources and programming to update from an earlier version." The full article is available at Renderosity.

I would much rather they spent resources and programming on improving and adding to Poser than dealing with old versions, particularly as many of the users of the older version will not upgrade to Poser 12, there has to be a reason as to why they have stayed with an older version.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Unfortunately, I think I am done with Poser. I have had my eye on the $99 update since Bondware took over, but just have not been able to justify the expense. Money is tight at the best of times, and the only reason I ever bought P9 was for content creation. Right now I don't want to pursue buying a software that I hardly use. I am glad Renderosity is revitalizing it, but I think I will have to go back to just being a DS hobbyist.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I could be wrong but I don't think they have plans of deactivating 11, just that they will not be selling it and it will be the only version they will be updating so anyone that has an older version will need to upgrade to 11 then 12 (I read somewhere its because of the upgrades not being compatible with older versions or something)
I think you're correct in your assumption Rae. Poser 11 is Bondware's baby, so why would they deactivate it? A lot of folks have more than one version of their 3D software, especially just after a new version is released. It takes time moving stuff over to the new software, and you want to make sure the new software is working correctly before uninstalling the old version.

Hornet3d

Wise
I really can relate to those that struggle to be able to afford to keep any hobby going, I have been in the same situation for many years and it is only really with retirement, and the removal of the threat of losing you entire income at a stroke, that the situation has changed for me. I guess with 3D art we are lucky in that a great piece of software is available for free and, with the exception of running and maintaining a half decent computer, there are no real on going costs such as those that are associated with many hobbies.

It may be out of the price range for many but I think Bondware should be given credit for at least trying to release it at a price that a lot should be able to afford. I understand the problem with currency conversion being in the UK I am more than used to paying almost the same in pounds as users in the US pay in dollars. I know the £-$ conversion is not the worse by far but I can understand the impact it has on buying decisions.

It may not be a popular view but considering the work that venders put in to produce content I think we are extremely lucky to have good quality but cheap to buy content available here at HiveWire3D and that is at full price, with 53% off as is the case with some content at the moment it is almost unbelievable. This has to be one of the cheapest hobbies to have and also one of the most absorbing.

I do feel a little bit sorry for Bondware, they have to make a profit on Poser for it to survive and any cost will be too much for some. I just wonder what the reaction would have been if the price was $299 for the upgrade and $499 for the full version.

Hornet3d

Wise
Unfortunately, I think I am done with Poser. I have had my eye on the $99 update since Bondware took over, but just have not been able to justify the expense. Money is tight at the best of times, and the only reason I ever bought P9 was for content creation. Right now I don't want to pursue buying a software that I hardly use. I am glad Renderosity is revitalizing it, but I think I will have to go back to just being a DS hobbyist.

I understand a respect that. I used to have a subscription on Vue which I love to use for landscape renders but with landscape content growing in quality in Poser I found I was using less and less. In the end I could not justify spending $19.95 every month when some months I never used it despite the fact I still loved the program. In the end we all have to cut our cloth according to our coat.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I will have to save up for this. I will seriously have to consider moving over to Daz software. But if I do save up and upgrade to 12, I think that would be the last one I do.
I do hope that what I create in Poser 11 is compatible with Poser 12 though.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can't really see why it wouldn't. They say that they are updating things not completely revamping.

Hornet3d

Wise
I will have to save up for this. I will seriously have to consider moving over to Daz software. But if I do save up and upgrade to 12, I think that would be the last one I do.
I do hope that what I create in Poser 11 is compatible with Poser 12 though.

I don't see compatibility being an issue either although the same may not be true going backwards, by which I mean created in Poser 12 and launched in Poser 11 but then that is often the case. The changes in the render engine might mean a Poser 11 scene needs to be adjusted in Poser 12 in the same way some Poser materials had to be adjusted to render correctly in Superfly.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I don't know if I will be able to get the money for it but I'd want the full, stand-alone, not the upgrade.
I prefer to keep a copy of PP11 too in case some items don't work in 12.

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't know if I will be able to get the money for it but I'd want the full, stand-alone, not the upgrade.
I prefer to keep a copy of PP11 too in case some items don't work in 12.

Good Point, that is another issue with the phone home feature before it you could run the old version and the new. Might be a case of letting others do the upgrades first and then seeing if there are any major problems.

eclark1894

Visionary

I'm all for giving Renderosity a benefit of the doubt. The preeious owner of Poser was a software company. Even though it had a store front, they never seemed to keen on selling content for it.They spent their time, energy and finances in creating new software. Ironically, some of the features they created for that software would have been better fitting in Poser.

But I see Renderosity taking over Poser now and while I do appreciate and applaud their new attitude towards content, they do need to make it easier for vendors to create content FOR Poser.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
As a long time Poser user , I am really really happy to see that Renderosity move forward with Poser.
I think the new render engine will be just a full implementation of Blender cycles and the missing nodes in the Material room. Which is a good thing, because I missed them really in Poser. Also the rigging need some refinement.
Dropping the face room is good. Never used it and never liked it. Hope there will be some improvements in the Cloth room too and the lights and camera will got some update too.
I will upgrade and if my plug ins stop to work, that is okay for me. There will be ( hopefully) new shiny plug ins out like with any other new version of Poser.
Not working Plug ins after a major upgrade is always a pain with every software. Not only Poser.
So I am looking forward to this new upgrade :D

Hornet3d

Wise
As a long time Poser user , I am really really happy to see that Renderosity move forward with Poser.
I think the new render engine will be just a full implementation of Blender cycles and the missing nodes in the Material room. Which is a good thing, because I missed them really in Poser. Also the rigging need some refinement.
Dropping the face room is good. Never used it and never liked it. Hope there will be some improvements in the Cloth room too and the lights and camera will got some update too.
I will upgrade and if my plug ins stop to work, that is okay for me. There will be ( hopefully) new shiny plug ins out like with any other new version of Poser.
Not working Plug ins after a major upgrade is always a pain with every software. Not only Poser.
So I am looking forward to this new upgrade :D

I have tended to stop using my add-ons with Poser 11, they are a great help day to day but a major loss after any upgrade particularly if you have got used to using them.

Hornet3d

Wise
I entered an animation contest and won 2nd prize. The first prize was a copy of Poser 12 but the person already had it so they offered it to me. I said yes. So cool!

Congratulations, you deserve it and what a nice end to a troubling year.