• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 12

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The only thing I'm a little wary about are these two options listed:

- Integrated Download Manager for Included Content
- Improved Download Manager for Purchased Content

I have no use for a Download Manager, as I manually install ALL my purchased products, so if they make these mandatory for purchases in their store, I may not be buying at R'osity much longer.

That said, however, if it's JUST for downloading, which is how I've always used DIM for my DAZ3D products, then fine, I can deal with that, but if it's going to be set up so you MUST install with either of the Download Managers, I'm not going to be very happy. :(

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You know there already is an integrated download manager for Purchased Content in Poser 11, don't you? And you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Hornet3d

Wise
The only thing I'm a little wary about are these two options listed:

- Integrated Download Manager for Included Content
- Improved Download Manager for Purchased Content

I have no use for a Download Manager, as I manually install ALL my purchased products, so if they make these mandatory for purchases in their store, I may not be buying at R'osity much longer.

That said, however, if it's JUST for downloading, which is how I've always used DIM for my DAZ3D products, then fine, I can deal with that, but if it's going to be set up so you MUST install with either of the Download Managers, I'm not going to be very happy. :(

If I remember correctly earlier statements on this matter made it clear the download manager was optional and the manual install would still be valid. If the turns out not to be the case I will be in the same position as you.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You know there already is an integrated download manager for Purchased Content in Poser 11, don't you? And you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
I seem to remember someone mentioning it, but I have no idea where it is, or how to use it. I assume it's in the Purchases runtime, because if so, I ignore that runtime because I have nothing in it.

If I remember correctly earlier statements on this matter made it clear the download manager was optional and the manual install would still be valid. If the turns out not to be the case I will be in the same position as you.
Yes, I seem to remember some comments about it, but I wasn't clear then whether that's just the case "now", or whether that will be the case when P12 comes out. That's why I'm wary about it. If we can still download and install manually, or download with the manager, but STILL install manually, then I won't have any issues.

To tell the truth, I didn't think we would be seeing an RC so soon. I was thinking the end 2020/beginning of 2021 the earliest, so I am glad they're working so quickly on this, and we'll see it next month.
FingersCrossed.png

I'm fairly sure the download manager would be optional. There are just too many people who would complain otherwise and made that clear when the download manager was introduced into 11. I just can't see them making it mandatory. It would be a huge mistake.

What got my attention is the overhaul of the Materials Room. I'm hoping this means no more "white out" previews for materials based on the cycles nodes but I just learned my way around those nodes and if they change them all... Eek. I hope it's more improvements than "overhaul".

I also wish they had said more about the hair and cloth rooms. There was talk about integrating new technologies into both of those and I was curious if that had happened or fell through. Hmm, maybe they're holding back to surprise us?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to Poser 12 and can hardly wait to start using it. :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I'm also wondering what new "goodies" will be introduced, though I won't be giving up on P11 any time soon . . . just in case . . . especially with the numerous Python scripts I use that won't work with Python 3, which is what P12 will be using.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
To download your purchases from within Poser 11, at least the Pro version.

Library panel, at the top you have Library, Search, Favorites, Purchases. Select Purchases, log into Renderosity, and download what you want, then it will be in the purchases directory.

It is built in, but you do NOT have to use it. I will say it comes in handy when you're looking for something but can't remember where you put it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmm, I'll have to check that out, as I use the external library mode in my browser, and not sure if that option is there.

What got my attention is the overhaul of the Materials Room. I'm hoping this means no more "white out" previews for materials based on the cycles nodes but I just learned my way around those nodes and if they change them all... Eek. I hope it's more improvements than "overhaul".

That one got my attention too because I like the Materials Room exactly the way it is, at least for Firefly. (I can see how "white out" previews for Cycles materials would be a pain, and hopefully they've fixed that.) I've invested TONS of time and energy in learning my way around the Materials Room in particular, and I have Advanced Shaders Manager set up to "fix" a lot of outdated node mishmash, so I really, REALLY hope the core elements don't change. Improvements, however, I welcome, although the only idea that comes to mind is some way to set preferences for certain nodes, so that we don't have to change them every time (or save nodes-only to the materials library and try to remember to load them w/o replacing everything else).

We also have far more support (in terms of forum threads, tutorials, guides, etc.) for how to use the Material Room than any other room, which suggests that the other rooms are in more urgent need of attention!

But as others have said, until I can use my favorite Netherworks scripts in Poser 12, I'll be sticking with 11!

Miss B

CV-BEE
But as others have said, until I can use my favorite Netherworks scripts in Poser 12, I'll be sticking with 11!
I'll second that, though I'll try out P12, but I'm not getting rid of P11, and Joe's scripts are one of the reasons, though I have scripts by others which won't work either.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Unless Netherworks comes back to update or sells the rights to someone else it is unlikely his scripts will be updated for future use in any new Poser versions.

You can also have separate versions of Poser on your machine at one time, once upon a time I had like 5 different versions, that's full versions not point updates of versions.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm sure someone will update or recreate the scripts.

I don't think I used the Face Room once. Not sorry it's going.

I tried the Face Room many years ago and I was far from impressed so I am another Poser user that will not miss it. That said I wonder about the comment that there are better third party options available as I have tried a few and I was no more impressed with those either.

Hornet3d

Wise
Considering that so many people use third party addons to improve the Poser interface perhaps it would be a good idea for Bondware to look at the features they provide and try and build them into them into Poser. That way they would work in each version of Poser. I would certainly happily give up the face room for some of the features I use thanks to Netherworks scrips

Hornet3d

Wise
Well the pricing for Poser 12 is now out and, to me at least, it looks pretty sensible. Full version are to be $249 dollars and upgrades from Poser 11 are to be $129. As I read it, the upgrade from Poser 11 is to be the only upgrade offered so users owning versions older will have to upgrade to Poser 11 first. It should also be noted that Poser 11 will cease to be sold after Poser 12 is available. With there being a 10% discount on Poser 11 upgrades and 40% discount on the full versions it seems now is the time to buy Poser 11 if the ultimate goal is Poser 12.

I understand with unemployment rising due to other situations in the world this may be an expense to far for some, maybe many but I think Bondware deserve credit for this. Keep in mind also that there is no Pro version so any comparisons with the past sales should be with the Pro version because that is the functionality you are buying with Poser 12. It does seem that they have a tried to make it fairly inexpensive for Poser user everywhere to be using the latest and greatest version of Poser.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
I'm one of those outside the US. The upgrade is going to be quite a bit over $129 for me. Money exchange and international transfer fees on the transaction from my bank. My upgrade price will be a lot closer to the full price after all is said and done. That means no upgrade for me ATM. Maybe closer to the end of year if I can swing it. That brings up my one fear. With P11 at end of life will they shut down the license server for it? Will my Poser die in the new year if I don't upgrade? I've paid a lot of money over the last 20 years or so upgrading Poser. I realize that has nothing to do with Bondware or any obligation on their end toward me, but new and shiny won't work in my current environment. Like many; I will probably pick it up ; but it won't be soon. SM promised us permanent activation for P11 and bailed. I don't care if Bondware gives it to us or not; I just don't want my P11 license to fail before I can justify the expense of P12.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm in the same situation Parkdalegardener, even if I didn't factor in the exchange rate etc I still couldn't afford it but with the exchange rate etc it will be almost double :(

I could be wrong but I don't think they have plans of deactivating 11, just that they will not be selling it and it will be the only version they will be updating so anyone that has an older version will need to upgrade to 11 then 12 (I read somewhere its because of the upgrades not being compatible with older versions or something)