• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 12 will switch to Python 3!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the screen shot and the info. Yea, RDNA has been gone a while now so perhaps they will offer some new toys to make work flow nicer with Poser 12.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Someone has told me the same at the DA forums just earlier today. If the existing scripts won't work in P12, and we know they won't, then they expect Poser itself to offer similar functionality.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well I imagine that this new version will probably be a really big thing. Sort of like when DAZ Studio hit 4.0, there were SO MANY changes and cool toys and UI options that it was quite the adventure! I hope they don't hold back either. Poser needs an overhaul!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have it auto-loaded using NetherWork's auto launch script, but the bummer is that this gets reset every time Rendo updates Poser.
Oh, why? I set up the Slim Parameters from my Scripts palette, and then forget about it. I do have to reset it with Poser updates, but I'm not sure how that could be set to not have to be done. I also haven't updated Poser in a while, so haven't had to reset the Slim Parameters lately.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Great to hear Poser moves forward. Watching the CG industry and how quick they move forward, while Poser still uses outdated technique, this gives hope.
Watched yesterday evening the news Unreal Engine 5 sneak peak, insane. A real Game changer. And when Poser want to gather new customer, this is the road they have to take. Update in new technics as much as possible. Yes, old stuff may broke, but sometimes it is essential to leave old stuff behind to move on with a new live. Cross fingers for Poser and Bondware .

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I invested in Reallusion which it like DAZ Studio and Poser on steroids. I've opened in like 3 times. Hivewire 3D jumped on board and got Dusk and Dawn set up for their engine. Never did anything with it. Learning a new program at 59 years of age when I have Poser and DAZ Studio just doesn't seem appealing to me. I'd rather wait patiently for updates and full point releases with gobs of new stuff than learn a whole new program. YIKES!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh, why? I set up the Slim Parameters from my Scripts palette, and then forget about it.

I don't know - when I've just set it up, it would reset back to Poser dials next time, so I added it to the auto-start queue.

Great to hear Poser moves forward.

I wouldn't call updating Python as moving forward, even because Rendo had no choice on this one. SMS was moving slowly because they had a small team. I've heard the Rendo team is small as well, so I am not expecting huge changes on their first release. However, we have been having updates more often than we were used to, and that's a good sign - even when the changes were minimal.

I invested in Reallusion which it like DAZ Studio and Poser on steroids.

I have invested on Reallusion as well, and I can't help it because they are doing all the stuff I wished Poser (or DS) could have, but never happened. The funny thing is that iClone 4 and 5 were mediocre, but all of the sudden, version 6 came with state-of-the-art tech that left me speechless. The current version 7 is even more incredible, to a point where I even question HOW did they get from this to THAT so quickly?

And it didn't end there. Just last night their newsletter showcased what's coming next, and it left me speechless again. I wanted (or needed) to feel like that about Poser, but it's Reallusion instead. I have become quite proficient with CC3 and iClone, both as a user and content creator. I don't use it as often as Poser, but it's advancing steadily, showing new eye candy every other month. Just a few years ago it was mediocre at best, and now it has already surpassed Poser/DS by far.

And what's most - they also have a very small team.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't call updating Python as moving forward, even because Rendo had no choice on this one. SMS was moving slowly because they had a small team. I've heard the Rendo team is small as well, so I am not expecting huge changes on their first release. However, we have been having updates more often than we were used to, and that's a good sign - even when the changes were minimal.

Even small steps are great. Poser was stagnating way to long. Many,many user, vendors, leave Poser for good the last few years. I used help out user in Poser via chat and mail. More and more of them just quit because they find Poser get way to outdated and they find other Software more innovative and less hassle .
It did not help Poser to stay on one place and try to be backward compatible as long as possible. Others overpass them with new features, technique.
Why in the animation sector they already experiment with dynamic lights, Poser still don't have a Photometric light system.
DOF is a pain in the back .

Yes it is a good sign to see them updating more often and even when Poser 12 will be not the big game changer, there is hope that in the near future Poser catch up.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I invested in Reallusion which it like DAZ Studio and Poser on steroids. I've opened in like 3 times. Hivewire 3D jumped on board and got Dusk and Dawn set up for their engine. Never did anything with it. Learning a new program at 59 years of age when I have Poser and DAZ Studio just doesn't seem appealing to me. I'd rather wait patiently for updates and full point releases with gobs of new stuff than learn a whole new program. YIKES!

You are never to old to learn something new :flower02:

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I know how you feel, as I have a ton of Joe's scripts, but I don't use them all every day. The one's I'll miss most are connected to the Poser UI such as his Camera Panel Plus 2014, his Interface Mods/Slim Parameters Panel, as I absolutely abhor the default Poser dials, and Scripts Servant, gives me a panel listing all the Poser Scripts I have installed, and which I dock to the left side of my Poser UI. Makes it easier to get to the script(s) I want to use, rather than having to go look them up in the Poser Scripts menu.

I also use his Scripts Auto Launch which loads up the Camera Panel Plus, Script Servant, and Scene Toy automatically when I start up Poser.

Not to mention his Hair Conversion System,.....that one saved me sooooooo much money....

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You are never to old to learn something new :flower02:

True but I personally don't feel like learning new software either. Not that I think I couldn't learn it, I just feel comfortable with Poser and if I want to get adventurous I open Daz.
If I really want to procede and invest I would have to start with a new PC/Laptop but at this time my priorities are just elsewhere. Mind you, as a vendor I'm not making a living with this. For me this is a way to finance this 3D hobby and that is enough. I can't speak for others.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Poser still don't have a Photometric light system.

I have tried IES lights in Poser, and the problem I had was that it doesn't use real-world scale, and photometric lights require that. I have similar lighting problems even with IBL and HDRI, but in this case it's because Poser doesn't have a physical sky.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
True but I personally don't feel like learning new software either. Not that I think I couldn't learn it, I just feel comfortable with Poser and if I want to get adventurous I open Daz.
If I really want to procede and invest I would have to start with a new PC/Laptop but at this time my priorities are just elsewhere. Mind you, as a vendor I'm not making a living with this. For me this is a way to finance this 3D hobby and that is enough. I can't speak for others.

So me. I am not a full time vendor too. I am glad when I can release 2-3 stuff per year for now. This is a hobby for me and when I can earn a bit cash to upgrade or buy new software, I am happy. If not, its okay also for me. I was pretty long absent because no inspiration and lots of personal stuff , burn out , moving ,new dog from shelter which was traumatized and need for months extra attention and care) .
Now I am on track again and hope I can finish some projects. Which include also learning software which was once a "must have " ,but never bother to open them more than once, twice. :oops:
I love to learn new software, some kind of addiction from me. But I can understand when not everybody is on this path. :)

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I have tried IES lights in Poser, and the problem I had was that it doesn't use real-world scale, and photometric lights require that. I have similar lighting problems even with IBL and HDRI, but in this case it's because Poser doesn't have a physical sky.

I love IES lights. Use them in DS almost every time and in Blender. Would love to have them in Poser also, but for now I just have to wait and hope.
I have the physical sky since so long on my wishlist for Poser. Hope so much they will catch up with this.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Which include also learning software which was once a "must have " ,but never bother to open them more than once, twice. :oops:
I love to learn new software, some kind of addiction from me. But I can understand when not everybody is on this path.

That is the reason why I won't even visit the websites, because then I get curious, excited and it becomes a must have.
I allready made the mistake of looking at the lastest Acer Predator laptop wich had me drooling.
At the moment most of our time goes into a renovation project, we are re-inventing our caravan where we just finished a topnotch bathroom. Now we are focussing on the bedroom and we are allready making plans for our - listen to this - "Kitchen/diningroom with open plan view to our living room"
How does that sound? Must better then corner kitchen with dining set and knocking half the wall out. LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Didn't know what IES lights. So I found this very informative YouTube video that folks may enjoy and learn a bit from:

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
That is the reason why I won't even visit the websites, because then I get curious, excited and it becomes a must have.
I allready made the mistake of looking at the lastest Acer Predator laptop wich had me drooling.
At the moment most of our time goes into a renovation project, we are re-inventing our caravan where we just finished a topnotch bathroom. Now we are focussing on the bedroom and we are allready making plans for our - listen to this - "Kitchen/diningroom with open plan view to our living room"
How does that sound? Must better then corner kitchen with dining set and knocking half the wall out. LOL

Sounds pretty amazing ,but also a lot of work. We are currently renovating the bathroom too, knocking out a wall to make it bigger. Incredible mess. Okay the worker try to make it as quick and clean as possible, but still....:eek:
Wish you luck ;)

I have invested on Reallusion as well, and I can't help it because they are doing all the stuff I wished Poser (or DS) could have, but never happened. The funny thing is that iClone 4 and 5 were mediocre, but all of the sudden, version 6 came with state-of-the-art tech that left me speechless. The current version 7 is even more incredible, to a point where I even question HOW did they get from this to THAT so quickly?

And it didn't end there. Just last night their newsletter showcased what's coming next, and it left me speechless again. I wanted (or needed) to feel like that about Poser, but it's Reallusion instead. I have become quite proficient with CC3 and iClone, both as a user and content creator. I don't use it as often as Poser, but it's advancing steadily, showing new eye candy every other month. Just a few years ago it was mediocre at best, and now it has already surpassed Poser/DS by far.

My wife got iClone last year specifically do to animation (on my recommendation), and I was kind of blown away by some of its ease of use features and its animation tools. But she's never found a way to get a good still render, and I keep running into things I can't help her with (esp. with materials and lighting) b/c they're not as easy (for me) to understand as they are in Poser. There's also the fact that iClone doesn't run on Macs, which gives Poser and DS an advantage (unless you want to render in Iray in DS, that is)!

I just hope there's a big enough (and growing) "core" of folks invested in Poser to keep using it no matter what other shiny objects come along, esp. since every shiny object takes a substantial investment of time, effort, and $$ for assets in order to get the most out of it!

Thanks, Ken and others, for explaining to a non-coder why scripts in Python 2 won't likely work in Python 3. When y'all refer to compiled scripts (pyc), I take it the problem is that no one can access (and thus modify) the original code except the person who wrote it and compiled it? So you can't just, for example, "uncompile" a script, make the necessary changes, and re-compile it?

I don't recall how long ago Poser started shipping with Netherworks' Pose Writer Panel already installed, but it seems to me that it's been updated in one of the updates since Renderosity took over Poser, based on file last modified dates. I'm guessing (or hoping) the Rendo team will also find a way to update Wardrobe Wizard and its many useful utilities.

What I really wish is that Renderosity would acquire the rights to include Netherworks' most useful scripts as part of Poser (or at least as part of a "Pro Pack" or something like that), so that they would also be in charge of keeping those scripts current and usable with the most recent version of Python used in Poser.

The Netherworks script I use by far the most often (like multiple times per day) is MAT Writer Panel, and yet I don't even use it to "write" material files, which is what its name implies is its primary purpose. Instead, I use it to copy single materials or a group of varied materials between objects, to swap out one or more image maps on an object, to make adjustments to Poser Surface attributes across all material zones on an object, to quickly make a material zone transparent, all white (shader nodes removed), or a random diffuse color, and more. I had previously used D3D's Advanced Shader Manager for some of these tasks, but it stopped working a while ago and it turns out I like MAT Writer Panel a lot more anyway.

I also use Pose Writer Panel a lot, but again, not for "writing" pose files. I mainly use it to quickly zero a figure's hands and/or all the actors along a single limb, as well as to copy poses between figures and to mirror poses (when Pose Symmetry doesn't work). For actually "writing" (saving) poses and expressions, I prefer to use Dial Manager, which gives you much greater control over what gets saved... and what doesn't! Dial Manager also has other nifty features, like the ability to change min/max values, limits, and visibility on multiple dials at once, which I find esp. useful when setting up a rigged prop or when "fixing" an older figure.

The third Netherworks' script I find invaluable is Creator's Toybox, especially the File Optimizer, tool which I use to extract embedded geometry to OBJ for both my own creations and those I've downloaded. It can also help resolve a variety of common issues in Poser files, including limits, 180º blowout, IK in clothes, and more. I also use the Mister Lister tool to create runtime file lists for freebies.

Since Pose Writer Panel is already part of Poser, I have my fingers crossed that the other two will be included in the future as well, as I'm certain many users would get a lot out of them.

I only recently got Netherworks' Spawn and have found it useful for setting up master control dials, although I already knew the basics of how to "teach" a master parameter to control other dials. I'm not all that clear on how JCMs work, though, so I got Spawn hoping it will help in that process once I get to the point of making clothes or a figure that will need them.

The only Netherworks script I haven't gotten much use out of is Scene Toy. I was looking forward to having a tidier and more powerful version of the Hierarchy Editor, but it's actually more restrictive than the HE when it comes to the tasks I do frequently. Then again, maybe I need to spend more time with it.

I love the fact that Poser (like several other 3D apps) can be extended by third-party scripts, as there will always be people who come up with specific functions that the application's design team never would've thought of. But I hate the idea that these scripts might just stop working one day if something about the scripting language changes. So hopefully script writers and Poser's new design team will come up with a solution to do as much "future proofing" as possible!