• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11 in Unix?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I'd like to be able to run my blades (servers) on Linux; that would mean that P11 Queue Manager, Vue RenderCow, and Lux would need to run on Linux.
I bought a stack of (still sealed) Win7Pro 64bit OEM licenses at $72 each for the blades.

P.S. Why is this odd graphic at the end of my posts?
odd graphic at end of HW posts.PNG

English Bob

Adventurous
Poser Pro 2014 works OK and again that is Wine but, as I have said, that has not activation process.

Thought I might chime in: I'm running Poser Pro 2014 in Linux Mint 18.1... works a treat. The only thing I simply couldn't get working was Adobe Air (Flash), so no Library. I had to resort to Semidieu's Library Manager 2.6... never used it in Windows, but it runs like a champ in Linux.

Thanks for that, folks. I've been keeping an occasional eye on Poser-in-Linux, in anticipation of the day when it 'works a treat'. It used to be the case that later versions, from when the interface was changed (P8 onwards) ended up with bits broken off the UI, but I guess Wine has improved over the years.

If only the same could be said of Windows. Like many others, I would no longer trust Microsoft to throw a party in a brewery. After their ham-fisted attempts to update everyone to Windows 10, they most recently introduced a much worse vulnerability while trying to patch Meltdown; as in, Meltdown had no exploit code in the wild, Total Meltdown does. :mad: I have a dedicated XP machine that won't be allowed anywhere near the Internet, and it seems I should do the same with Windows 7; even though it's still officially supported, I have no confidence in Microsoft's competence to do so. I tried Windows 10 on my laptop, and soon reverted to Windows 7. Too many things didn't work. I have to use Win 10 at work, but it's a constant source of annoyance.

Miss B, Hornet, I respect your opinions and choices but you can't beat the biggest dog on the block.

Nobody was suggesting that we take on the biggest dog on the block; but neither am I willing to roll over and let the dog rip me to shreds. I intend to sneak quietly out of the back door and go and play somewhere else. Linux will be a big part of that, I hope.

And now, I think that Poser's cloth sim is beginning to take a back seat to Blender's. Workflow now is to get the cloth basically in the right place and shape with a posed figure, but to finish the actual cloth draping in Blender.

Also worth knowing, thanks. I really must devote some serious time to Blender. #brokenresolutions

P.S. Why is this odd graphic at the end of my posts?View attachment 37346

I don't see that, only a perfectly normal graphic which shows a nice landscape with 'Seachnasaigh' printed across the sky. I blame the leprechauns. :) Alternatively you could erase your Hivewire cookies, refresh your browser, all that good old Internet mumbo-jumbo...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
P.S. Why is this odd graphic at the end of my posts?
I'm not sure Seach, as I'm seeing your usual sigtag image as it should be seen.

That said, however, I've noticed something similar when someone quotes someone else's posts that have an image in the post. Not sure why that is, but must be the forum's software not wanting to "duplicate" the image, so offers a link to the original image attachment.

I've not seen that with images in folks signatures, as that's not duplicated along with someone's post if it's been quoted.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Nobody was suggesting that we take on the biggest dog on the block; but neither am I willing to roll over and let the dog rip me to shreds. I intend to sneak quietly out of the back door and go and play somewhere else. Linux will be a big part of that, I hope.

Best reply of the day. I suppose I've been fortunate. Windows 10 has worked fine for me. Like everyone else, I don't like forced updates all the time and my trust was burned a while ago. I just tire of fighting against them. There is a major update with more features coming. I hope it doesn't mess up what already works fine.

@seachnasaigh Your signature looks fine to me. So does Miss B's. Thanks again for the Fuji prop!

quietrob

Extraordinary
I take your point but my prime machine is now 6 years old and while quite powerful then was never leading edge. Machine 2 is the machine that I was using six years ago so must be over 10 years old. Laptop was a refurbished unit when I purchased it three years ago and the other two machines are ones I built for my wife and are both fairly low spec so Windows 7 is fine with both my machines running ultimate. Point is Linux Mint installs with ease and includes a browser and programs to match the MS office suite functional enough for most users, there is a CD/DVD burner included and many other programs. I know all this is available for Windows if you go hunting but with Linux Mint it is there right out of the box. Moreover there are any number of free programs available such as the finance package I am using that is very close to Microsoft Money which MS stopped developing many moons ago. All of this for free, not just as a push to get adoption but no strings free. Anyone moving from Windows should have no problems and guess what, you can decide if and what you want to update. It leaves me asking the question why would any basic user download, let alone pay for, a version of Windows.

Their antics with Windows 10 put lot of people off leading me to install Linux on ten machines that would normally have been using Windows. If I build a system for anyone I always install Linux with the promise I will install Windows 10 if they need it, so far no one has come back to me. Admitted they were all fairly run of the mill machines but, in my view, Microsoft did itselfs no favours with it's aggressive drive to switch everyone to W10.
I hear you. I can certainly agree. I have one correction. It wasn't Windows XP that was causing me so much heartache. It was windows 98 first version. I ran out and bought it and got promptly burned. Everything has been an upgrade cycle which I thought I broke until I woke up and found my machine had upgraded to Windows 10 for free. So far no issues.

What I would really like is an OS without twenty or thirty processes running in the backgrpund so I can squeeze every last CPU cycle to the actual render. For instance, every windows system come Bonjour and Cortana. You can't delete them or even turn them off. Drives me nuts. Back in the XP days I was able to make a startup boot with such minimal process I was practically booting in Safe Mode but with high graphics. Can't do that anymore. Yet I tire of fighting the wind. Perhaps when things become stable again, you linux guru's can give me some pointers on a minimal system. Right now my uses are an occasional Facebook, Poser, Photoshop, Mail and writing. A few pictures and videos thrown in but that's pretty much it. I do banking by phone because it's more secure. My credit card was compromised more than once from buying online. Now I just use pay pal.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I hear you. I can certainly agree. I have one correction. It wasn't Windows XP that was causing me so much heartache. It was windows 98 first version.
I started with Win95, but didn't get into Win98 until I bought a new desktop, so I was introduced to Win98 with the Second Edition. I didn't have much trouble with it, but the computer wasn't really powerful enough, which I didn't experience until I got my third desktop with Windows XP Pro, and then I was a happy camper. The only complaint I had with it was that computer was only 32-bit, so eventually upgrading to Win7 Pro on a 64-bit computer really made me happy.

It took me about 2 weeks to get the Start Menu looking (and acting) as my WinXP Start Menu, but other than that, I haven't had any problems, especially since this is a fully hyperthreaded quad core, and the XP machine was only a dual core.

The only thing missing on this puppy is a GPU, which my old XP machine had.

Hornet3d

Wise
I started with Win95, but didn't get into Win98 until I bought a new desktop, so I was introduced to Win98 with the Second Edition. I didn't have much trouble with it, but the computer wasn't really powerful enough, which I didn't experience until I got my third desktop with Windows XP Pro, and then I was a happy camper. The only complaint I had with it was that computer was only 32-bit, so eventually upgrading to Win7 Pro on a 64-bit computer really made me happy.

It took me about 2 weeks to get the Start Menu looking (and acting) as my WinXP Start Menu, but other than that, I haven't had any problems, especially since this is a fully hyperthreaded quad core, and the XP machine was only a dual core.

The only thing missing on this puppy is a GPU, which my old XP machine had.

I am sorry to say I had Windows for Workgroups, or something like that, I know it came on a number of floppy drives so you had to sit there feeding the A drive on an install. You had to load drivers to get the system to recognise the CD drive and, of course that was also on a floppy. Systems had to have a sound card so drivers for that needed to be loaded also.

These days the floppy drives are long gone and I recently purchased a stereo sound card for a old system for £5.49 (around $10) that is only slightly bigger than the mic and headphone sockets it houses.

Riccardo

Adventurous
I would ask Riccardo why his Poser 9 doesn't work in Windows 10. Why choose Windows XP when Windows 7 seems to be the most stable (If not the most well used) OS from Microsoft until Windows 10. I skipped Windows 8, 9, Longhorn, Vista and ME.

@quietrob It seems that Poser 9 does not work under Win 10 because of a problem with Internet Explorer, which, oddly enough, Poser 9 uses to manage its content library. There is a patch by Smith Micro for this, but my Poser version is build 9.0.0.16510 and of course, the patch only applies to later builds (thanks a lot, SM).
Oracle Virtualbox gives you a virtual hardware, but you still have to install an OS on it. So I chose to install XP simply because I have its cd available, which I do not have for win 7 or other OSes :)

When I bought my current PC, it came with Win 10. I hate its forced updates and privacy settings, too, but I must (nearly hate to) admit that the OS works generally pretty well.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually Riccardo, my Poser 9 was having Library issues on my Win7 Pro laptop as well. It's not IE so much as the Flash player for IE, and every other browser. Flash is on the way out, or should be, because it's just not supportable anymore. Luckily, I had purchased Shaderworks Library Manager 2 while it was still at RDNA, so it finally came in handy a few months ago.

As far as Win10 working pretty well, I couldn't care less. The forced updates issue is what's turning me off more than the way everything "looks" with Win10. I've wanted to try Linux for a while now, so sooner rather than later, I'll be getting a new laptop with Linux. Which distro of Linux is still up in the air, but I've had enough of Windows to last a lifetime.