• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11 in Unix?

Hornet3d

Wise
I am having another attempt get Poser working in Unix, I have been partly successful in getting poser Pro 2014 working but this is the first time I have tried 11. This is on a second machine and I already have it working in Windows but on getting it started in Unox it sees the it as a new install and asks to be activated. I was not too surprised when the activation failed. I went into Windows and deactivated the Windows version but I still get the 'contact SM support message. OK so I know I need to get SM support to free up one of my activations but while I wait has any one had any success in running Poser 11 in unix or am I wasting my time?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hornet, when you said it's on a second machine, is Windows on that second machine, or only Linux? I ask because you can use Windows apps on a Linux only computer using Wine.

You can read about it here --> Learn About the Wine Project

Hornet3d

Wise
Hornet, when you said it's on a second machine, is Windows on that second machine, or only Linux? I ask because you can use Windows apps on a Linux only computer using Wine.

You can read about it here --> Learn About the Wine Project

At the moment the second machine is dual boot so I have Poser 2014 and Poser 11 working in Windows. I also have Poser 2014 working on the Linux boot but of course there is no activation process. When I tried to set Poser 11 up I got to the Poser activate screen and that is where it has failed. I am using something call 'playonunix' to do the setup but I know that interacts with wine to do get it working. I have been using Linux for a while and I am happy with the browser and the email app and I have recently found a finance program that works much like MSMoney so the only thing left is to get Poser 11 working. If that works out I will move to Linux only, again if I am happy after a month or so I think I will order my new machine without an OS.

Thanks for the link, my linux experience is sparse so any reading helps.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've been perusing Linux info as well, as I'm convinced my next laptop will be a Linux OS, as I've given up on Windows.

Hornet3d

Wise
I've been perusing Linux info as well, as I'm convinced my next laptop will be a Linux OS, as I've given up on Windows.

Both my desktops are running Windows 7 and I have a very big distrust of Windows 10. I know many have user have become used to it and like the OS but the idea of enforced updates does not lay easily with me. I have updates switched off on both my machines thanks to the underhand way updates were used to upgrade many installations to Windows 10. I am happy with the day to day stuff with Linux and it was really only a good finance package and Poser 11 that was an issue so now it looks as though I have the finance planning sorted it is really only Poser 11 that is stopping a complete jump to Linux.

Miss B

CV-BEE
My favorite Windows was XP, but my last laptop died, and it was only a dual core, so I was in need of an upgrade. I didn't like Windows 7 Pro when I first got it, but I was finally able to tame the Start Menu to how I like it, so it didn't take long for me to like it.

I don't do automatic updates of ANY software. You have to notify me there's an update, and I'll take it from there. Aside from that, I just don't like the way Win 10 is set up, and I haven't been a big Microsoft fan, for a lot of reasons, for a long time.

Even though I don't do much web design any more, I like the idea of being able to see how a design is going without having to upload everything to my server to test. I always found that a PITA, so with a Linux OS, I wouldn't have to do that any more.

I'm just surprised SM hasn't gotten on the Linux bandwagon, as many 3D apps now come in all 3 flavors.

quietrob

Extraordinary
So you can run Poser on more than machine at the same time? I thought you couldn't. I know you can have three installs. Since they are different OS I wonder if Poser would be able to tell the difference even if you're on the same network.

Hornet3d

Wise
So you can run Poser on more than machine at the same time? I thought you couldn't. I know you can have three installs. Since they are different OS I wonder if Poser would be able to tell the difference even if you're on the same network.

No you can install Poser on three machines but if you are doing a render on one machine and try to use on a second machine you will get a pop-up saying it is already being used. Yon can close the pop up but it will come back minutes later. The important point here is that the actual wording says three machines/OS so although it is on the same computer my Windows install counts as one activation the Linux activation is seen as a second installation. Looking at my license one of my activations is greyed out and I cannot deactivate so I think that is where the issue lies.

Hornet3d

Wise
OK so that answer, confirmed in a large part by SM support is that Poser 11 will not work in Unix. The program itself may indeed work but Unix and Wine cannot complete the activation process, which explains why I can run PP2014 in Unix as there is no activation process. Really sad that such processes tend to inconvenience genuine users far more than the pirates it was aimed at, still that is life I guess. So some point down the road I may have to decide between Poser 11 and later versions and Windows 10 or Unix and Poser 2014. If it were not for superfly the decision would be a no brainer for me.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I think this activation process must have a little something that is sending information back and forth between Smith Micro and your machine. If two computers aren't on the same network, how else would Poser know that another machine is using the same Serial Number. I wonder if the other or both machines are removed from the net and network, would one get that same popup...

Sorry Poser won't work on the OS of your choice. From my research, Wine seems to be the interface for Windows products to run on UNIX

Hornet3d

Wise
I think this activation process must have a little something that is sending information back and forth between Smith Micro and your machine. If two computers aren't on the same network, how else would Poser know that another machine is using the same Serial Number. I wonder if the other or both machines are removed from the net and network, would one get that same popup...

Sorry Poser won't work on the OS of your choice. From my research, Wine seems to be the interface for Windows products to run on UNIX

It is Wine that I am using it is just that the app 'playonunix' acts as a sort of assistant to set it all up, at least as far as I can work out, certainly Wine is launched at the end of the setup process and got me as far as the activation screen. Poser Pro 2014 works OK and again that is Wine but, as I have said, that has not activation process. I think it is back to plan B and stick with Windows 7 as long as I can and in the meantime shuffle as much as I can to Linux leaving me just having to use Windows 10 for a few programs that won't work in Linux. At least that way it will limit my use of Windows 10. I even have the option of building a big part of any scene in Poser 2014 and then only using Poser 11 for the last few tweeks and rendering.

Riccardo

Adventurous
My Poser 9 does not work under Win 10 so I run it on a Windows XP virtual machine through Virtualbox...

It is Wine that I am using it is just that the app 'playonunix' acts as a sort of assistant to set it all up, at least as far as I can work out, certainly Wine is launched at the end of the setup process and got me as far as the activation screen. Poser Pro 2014 works OK and again that is Wine but, as I have said, that has not activation process. I think it is back to plan B and stick with Windows 7 as long as I can and in the meantime shuffle as much as I can to Linux leaving me just having to use Windows 10 for a few programs that won't work in Linux. At least that way it will limit my use of Windows 10. I even have the option of building a big part of any scene in Poser 2014 and then only using Poser 11 for the last few tweeks and rendering.

quietrob

Extraordinary
My Poser 9 does not work under Win 10 so I run it on a Windows XP virtual machine through Virtualbox...
Perhaps a good idea, @Riccardo. From what I've read, it works on Linux. It might work on Unix.

I would ask Riccardo why his Poser 9 doesn't work in Windows 10. Why choose Windows XP when Windows 7 seems to be the most stable (If not the most well used) OS from Microsoft until Windows 10. I skipped Windows 8, 9, Longhorn, Vista and ME.

I would ask young jeezy @Hornet3d why use an emulator at all when a Windows 10 upgrade is still free.* Do you hate Microsoft that much? Look, if you do, I can understand it but it is difficult to fight the wind.

*PM me to find out how to get the upgrade

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't think desktops and laptops use Unix as their OS. As far as I know, Unix is for mainframe servers only. I believe that's why Linux was created.

Oh, and as far as hating Microsoft, yes, I admit it, and I'll NEVER upgrade to Windows 10. I like my Windows 7 Pro, though I liked Windows XP a lot. That laptop, unfortunately, was only a dual core, so I needed to upgrade the hardware in any case.

Hornet3d

Wise
Perhaps a good idea, @Riccardo. From what I've read, it works on Linux. It might work on Unix.

I would ask Riccardo why his Poser 9 doesn't work in Windows 10. Why choose Windows XP when Windows 7 seems to be the most stable (If not the most well used) OS from Microsoft until Windows 10. I skipped Windows 8, 9, Longhorn, Vista and ME.

I would ask young jeezy @Hornet3d why use an emulator at all when a Windows 10 upgrade is still free.* Do you hate Microsoft that much? Look, if you do, I can understand it but it is difficult to fight the wind.

*PM me to find out how to get the upgrade

I don't hate Microsoft but I do not trust them either. The underhand way they deployed Windows 10 like disgusing it as an upgrade and changing the function of the X on the top right of a diag box is testament to how well they can be trusted. I don't like Windows 10 much but I hate enforced updates. Like Miss B I intend to stick with Windows 7 for as long as I can. I might be forced to run Windows 10 eventually, just for Poser but two of the four machines in my house went from Windows XP to Linux and a third is dual boot with Linux and Windows 7.

Thanks for the kind offer of pointing me towards a free copy of Windows 10 but I hope you will understand if I don't take you up on it just yet.

quietrob

Extraordinary
The newer the system, the newer your OS should be as the OS is optimized for the latest computers. Years ago I bought Windows XP service pack 1. My computer couldn't run it and I was forced to underclock my older CPU so that it would work. Six months later, I upgraded the second iteration of XP and upgraded my CPU and moved the jumper so my computer would run at full speed. Oh how it ran! My newer CPU loved the latest OS.

Years ago I had a quandry. Buy the Commodore 64 or the IBM Desk PC which ran with a whopping 16 Meg of memory. As former Electronic Technician, I can tell you that the Commodore was actually a better computer in every way. However, IBM convinced the masses that the C64 was nothing more than a toy for hobbyists while only those who wanted a real machine would run the IBM and it's brand new OS called Windows 1.1. After my c64 literally burned up in a heap of plastic I switched to the IBM compatible. I had bought the timex sinclair with its 1K ram AND the 4 K ram expansion pack, a TI-99 (Texas Instruments) and had enough. I was switching to the biggest kid on the clock and stopped fighting the wind. I haven't really looked back since.

Miss B, Hornet, I respect your opinions and choices but you can't beat the biggest dog on the block. Join me and we'll rule the galaxy as, well not father and son but you get the idea. :D

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Who cares if they're the biggest dog on the block. If it doesn't work the way you want it to . . . forget it!!!

Seriously though, everyone has their own preferences, and the fact there are other options other than Windows, makes the world go round. The only reason I never got into Mac is because, as far as I'm concerned, Apple has always overpriced their tech devices, which is why I'll never get an iPhone. I can't see paying twice as much money, even if paid off over 2 years. It's still way too overpriced. I don't use my cellphone every minute of the day and, from where I sit, it's just not worth it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I might be forced to run Windows 10 eventually, just for Poser but two of the four machines in my house went from Windows XP to Linux and a third is dual boot with Linux and Windows 7.
Geeze, I haven't had a dual boot since my DOS 5/Windows 3.11 For Workgroups. That was my first taste of Windows, and the fact I could write my own menu app so I could easily choose which I wanted to work in when I turned the computer on, was fun.

Of course, back then Windows still depended on pieces of DOS to work. My first Windows only computer was Windows 95.

Robynsveil

Admirable
Thought I might chime in: I'm running Poser Pro 2014 in Linux Mint 18.1... works a treat. The only thing I simply couldn't get working was Adobe Air (Flash), so no Library. I had to resort to Semidieu's Library Manager 2.6... never used it in Windows, but it runs like a champ in Linux.
I do have a Win7 partition for PP11... I seriously almost never-ever use it, as about the only reason I even bring up Poser at all instead of Blender is that posing figures is just easier, way-way-WAY easier in Poser. I'm still getting rigging in Blender nutted out, but that's an on-again/off-again thing, as my fascination with Python scripting keeps hijacking any efforts at doing anything else.

And now, I think that Poser's cloth sim is beginning to take a back seat to Blender's. Workflow now is to get the cloth basically in the right place and shape with a posed figure, but to finish the actual cloth draping in Blender.

Hornet3d

Wise
The newer the system, the newer your OS should be as the OS is optimized for the latest computers. Years ago I bought Windows XP service pack 1. My computer couldn't run it and I was forced to underclock my older CPU so that it would work. Six months later, I upgraded the second iteration of XP and upgraded my CPU and moved the jumper so my computer would run at full speed. Oh how it ran! My newer CPU loved the latest OS.

Years ago I had a quandry. Buy the Commodore 64 or the IBM Desk PC which ran with a whopping 16 Meg of memory. As former Electronic Technician, I can tell you that the Commodore was actually a better computer in every way. However, IBM convinced the masses that the C64 was nothing more than a toy for hobbyists while only those who wanted a real machine would run the IBM and it's brand new OS called Windows 1.1. After my c64 literally burned up in a heap of plastic I switched to the IBM compatible. I had bought the timex sinclair with its 1K ram AND the 4 K ram expansion pack, a TI-99 (Texas Instruments) and had enough. I was switching to the biggest kid on the clock and stopped fighting the wind. I haven't really looked back since.

Miss B, Hornet, I respect your opinions and choices but you can't beat the biggest dog on the block. Join me and we'll rule the galaxy as, well not father and son but you get the idea. :D

I take your point but my prime machine is now 6 years old and while quite powerful then was never leading edge. Machine 2 is the machine that I was using six years ago so must be over 10 years old. Laptop was a refurbished unit when I purchased it three years ago and the other two machines are ones I built for my wife and are both fairly low spec so Windows 7 is fine with both my machines running ultimate. Point is Linux Mint installs with ease and includes a browser and programs to match the MS office suite functional enough for most users, there is a CD/DVD burner included and many other programs. I know all this is available for Windows if you go hunting but with Linux Mint it is there right out of the box. Moreover there are any number of free programs available such as the finance package I am using that is very close to Microsoft Money which MS stopped developing many moons ago. All of this for free, not just as a push to get adoption but no strings free. Anyone moving from Windows should have no problems and guess what, you can decide if and what you want to update. It leaves me asking the question why would any basic user download, let alone pay for, a version of Windows.

Their antics with Windows 10 put lot of people off leading me to install Linux on ten machines that would normally have been using Windows. If I build a system for anyone I always install Linux with the promise I will install Windows 10 if they need it, so far no one has come back to me. Admitted they were all fairly run of the mill machines but, in my view, Microsoft did itselfs no favours with it's aggressive drive to switch everyone to W10.