• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11.2 Update discussion/info

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
A place to discuss in general the Poser 11.2 update that will move things from being Smith Micro to Renderosity owned.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Just got an email from Bondware claiming Poser 11.2 will be released on the 19th, and that it will load LaFemme by default when launched. They claim the bundled version is "safe-for-work", and the "anatomically correct" version can be purchased from the Renderosity store. The way they put it, it's like the bundled version is free because it has no genitals, and is therefore "incomplete" and hence not worth paying for. Hmm...

Rendo advertises LF takes advantage of advanced P11 features, including face control chips, animated joint centers, scaling zones, and complete weight mapping and bulge maps. This is odd, because none of those things are particular to P11 - they all already existed in P10. Perhaps they should had mention the actual new features in P11, like smooth joint translations that were first used in LF.

They also mention 8 Gigs of "new" contents from the Rendo store, meaning it's not the same old from the previous versions. However, all of the Poser figures from previous versions are still included, which is perhaps a good thing because I often use the low poly figures from Poser 3 in crowd scenes and background characters. Rendo claims this will give new and old users enough new contents to play with. The only image in the article shows the HW Horse. They claim LF and Maisy will be included, and then mention the HW figures down at the bottom.

They also claim this only affects Poser 11. Owners of Poser 10 or older do not need to update. This is kind of odd, because I remember Poser 10 also had a call-home-at-launch kind of license. So what will happen with P10 calling home after the 19th? They mention 11.2 will include many bug fixes, to include a change in the "minimum basic runtime's file paths ", whatever that means. I guess we will find out this Thursday.

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
They also claim this only affects Poser 11. Owners of Poser 10 or older do not need to update. This is kind of odd, because I remember Poser 10 also had a call-home-at-launch kind of license. So what will happen with P10 calling home after the 19th? They mention 11.2 will include many bug fixes, to include a change in the "minimum basic runtime's file paths ", whatever that means. I guess we will find out this Thursday.

Poser 10 does not have a call home at launch. Neither does PP 2014. Game Dev 2014 and Poser 11/Pro is the versions that have it.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Poser 10 does not have a call home at launch. Neither does PP 2014. Game Dev 2014 and Poser 11/Pro is the versions that have it.
Oh, thank heavens for that. I don't *have* the $99 they want for the upgrade from 9 or 10. (Too many other expenses and very limited income.) Not to mention, I'm not sure my computer would run Poser 11 and I haven't the $$$ for the computer upgrade, either. Especially if I have to upgrade Poser.
And DS won't read it's own files 6 months later and I need long term ability for file reading because of doing a *story* instead of a *picture*. (Yes, I have mentioned this before, and yes, other people had seen the same issue with DS.) I started as a DS user 2007, and I won't be going back. It sucked down too much time rebuilding the same unique characters over and over and over. Poser 9 & 10 at least can read their own files 6 months later. I do have DS in system for when I need the things it does, but it's not the one I use for the bulk of the stuff I do.

Also, not impressed that there is no "update the call-in feature only" update for cheap ($10? $20?) or free., for those of us who wish/need to continue using the older versions (Poser 9 and Poser 10 in my case) instead of Poser 11.

And for the person talking about Blender above....I did install the new one. It wouldn't run on my system. It wouldn't even boot up. I had to uninstall, and go to the list of older versions and reinstall what I'd been using before. So, I can't go that way, either. I do use the older Blender, but for now, I can't upgrade to all the whiz-bang new features.

I really need to finish the story I've been working on for years....but beyond that, I'm wondering about getting out of 3D. Too expensive with everything getting upgraded beyond what I can afford., and not enough $$$ in to cover the outlay.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Just got an email from Bondware claiming Poser 11.2 will be released on the 19th, and that it will load LaFemme by default when launched.
This is why I'll be saving my Preferred State file (among others), as I always hated when Andy the Mannequin was the first thing you saw in older versions of Poser.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Oh, thank heavens for that. I don't *have* the $99 they want for the upgrade from 9 or 10. (Too many other expenses and very limited income.) Not to mention, I'm not sure my computer would run Poser 11 and I haven't the $$$ for the computer upgrade, either. Especially if I have to upgrade Poser.
And DS won't read it's own files 6 months later and I need long term ability for file reading because of doing a *story* instead of a *picture*. (Yes, I have mentioned this before, and yes, other people had seen the same issue with DS.) I started as a DS user 2007, and I won't be going back. It sucked down too much time rebuilding the same unique characters over and over and over. Poser 9 & 10 at least can read their own files 6 months later. I do have DS in system for when I need the things it does, but it's not the one I use for the bulk of the stuff I do.

Also, not impressed that there is no "update the call-in feature only" update for cheap ($10? $20?) or free., for those of us who wish/need to continue using the older versions (Poser 9 and Poser 10 in my case) instead of Poser 11.

And for the person talking about Blender above....I did install the new one. It wouldn't run on my system. It wouldn't even boot up. I had to uninstall, and go to the list of older versions and reinstall what I'd been using before. So, I can't go that way, either. I do use the older Blender, but for now, I can't upgrade to all the whiz-bang new features.

I really need to finish the story I've been working on for years....but beyond that, I'm wondering about getting out of 3D. Too expensive with everything getting upgraded beyond what I can afford., and not enough $$$ in to cover the outlay.

Let me repeat this.

ONLY POSER 11 AND POSER PRO 2014 GAME DEV users will be required to update their software.

Poser 9 and plain old (NOT Game Dev) Poser 10 will still run fine just like they are on your computer. So will Poser 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.

Only the versions with the "phone home" requirement will stop working. And, those WILL stop working when they phone home the next time, telling you "This license has expired."

Hornet3d

Wise
Let me repeat this.

ONLY POSER 11 AND POSER PRO 2014 GAME DEV users will be required to update their software.

Poser 9 and plain old (NOT Game Dev) Poser 10 will still run fine just like they are on your computer. So will Poser 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.

Only the versions with the "phone home" requirement will stop working. And, those WILL stop working when they phone home the next time, telling you "This license has expired."

I just hope there is some overlap period as I imagine the servers will be pretty busy on 19th.

Hornet3d

Wise

I totally understand where you are coming from with all that you have stated except the cheap 'update the call in feature only' reference. You simply do not want it in anything other than Game Dev and Poser 11/11Pro because it is a real pain in the butt. If you are using any version other than Game Dev and Poser 11/Pro you need do nothing and your version on Poser will continue to work. It is only those of us that stumped up the cash to upgrade that will need the update otherwise our versions will stop working. This is not Rendo's fault it is purely down to SM sneaking the feature in and then not keeping their promises they made before they sold Poser. Rendo is having to clean up the mess caused by this god awful feature.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I just hope there is some overlap period as I imagine the servers will be pretty busy on 19th.

I don't believe there is any leeway in this date - SM will be taking the "home" computers that P11 phone into offline on that date.

That's why you have to update - to change the home computer P11 connects to.

I don't know this for FACT, but I believe that's the whole point.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks for the information, looks like I might be moving over to Vue for a few days if I have problems. Thanks again SM for looking after all those who gave you good money to update to both Game Dev and Poser11/Pro

I have the beta version installed, so unless it stops working, too, I will wait several days so that folks like you can get the update downloaded.

I'm sure the servers will be hammered.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

Oh Ok, thanks for the heads up. I have Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev, also known as Poser 10 Pro. In spite of SMS giving it a different name, it is still Poser 10. There is no separate version of it, in the same way that all versions of Poser 11 are the same program with different parts activated or disabled depending on what serial number you have. But it seems like the "Game Dev" serial number calls home. I have only noticed this when Poser 10 simply shut down with no warning if my internet connect fails. That has only happened once, and after that SMS claims to have changed the code to only call home at launch. By the looks of it, Poser 10 will NOT call home unless you have a GD serial number. I happen to also have the regular Poser 10 Pro serial number (I upgraded to GD later), so I could just downgrade to stop the call home thingy by entering the older serial number. The GD features are useless anyway.

Poser 9 & 10 at least can read their own files 6 months later.

They can read your files from 10+ years ago! ^____^

Oh yes, that is pretty much possible. I remember I couldn't get a connection to SMS when P11 came out. They got swamped. I just waited until the next day, when the dust had already settled down. This is especially possible when they are offering as much as 8Gb of contents to download from their servers. O__o;;

However, Rendo has warned in capital letters that you HAVE to upgrade to 11.2 next Thursday, or your Poser 10 GD and Poser 11 Pro will fail to launch. This is probably because SMS will be taking their Poser license servers offline by then.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE

However, Rendo has warned in capital letters that you HAVE to upgrade to 11.2 next Thursday, or your Poser 10 GD and Poser 11 Pro will fail to launch. This is probably because SMS will be taking their Poser license servers offline by then.

Oh well thats my Poser 11 gone then; I work late on Thursdays and won't have the time to update it, if they don't give people more than 24 hours to upgrade then they are running the risk of upsetting many and losing custom.

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh Ok, thanks for the heads up. I have Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev, also known as Poser 10 Pro. In spite of SMS giving it a different name, it is still Poser 10. There is no separate version of it, in the same way that all versions of Poser 11 are the same program with different parts activated or disabled depending on what serial number you have. But it seems like the "Game Dev" serial number calls home. I have only noticed this when Poser 10 simply shut down with no warning if my internet connect fails. That has only happened once, and after that SMS claims to have changed the code to only call home at launch. By the looks of it, Poser 10 will NOT call home unless you have a GD serial number. I happen to also have the regular Poser 10 Pro serial number (I upgraded to GD later), so I could just downgrade to stop the call home thingy by entering the older serial number. The GD features are useless anyway.

Just so users of Poser versions other than Game Dave and Poser 11/11Pro can sleep soundly in their beds I can confirm that the disable feature was introduced with Game Dev even though is was based on Poser Pro 2014. It was the Game Dev serial number that activated the extra features and, although we did not know it at the time, this awful 'phone home' feature. Then it had to get a response to a phone home call at least once every six months before it deactivated. That is certainly what happened with Game Dev because it took that long for users to discover the undocumented feature SM had slipped in. I was hoping that this would allow for some hand over period before we all moved over to the Bondware version. Still If I loose Poser Pro for a week or so it is no big deal as I can still use my version of Poser 2014 and still use Vue and Blender. I can even use Octane to help to offset loosing Superfly with the temporary loss of Poser 11.

Due to the above I not overly concerned but what really annoys the heck out of me is this is what many of us told SM would happen in this circumstance. First there was usual denial, the claims they were not about to sell Poser and the promises they had contingencies should they ever sell Poser all of which we knew then was a load of hot air, it really is no comfort so many years on to say we were right all along.

Hornet3d

Wise
Another thought strikes me, what about all those that do not follow forums and suddenly discover their version of Poser does not work when the try to use it in a few weeks time.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh well thats my Poser 11 gone then; I work late on Thursdays and won't have the time to update it, if they don't give people more than 24 hours to upgrade then they are running the risk of upsetting many and losing custom.

No one said that you HAVE to update on that day or you can't update EVER. Just that AFTER that day, whenever the next "phone home" comes for you ( and I have no clue how far apart they are or when it will be), you will have to be sure to update so you can use the program.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Now I am not sure if I gave people the wrong impression - we are asked to upgrade to 11.2 by Thursday, but it can be later on if you want to. It's just that SMS servers will stop processing existing PP2014GD and P11 licenses after the 19th, and Rendo is warning people ahead of time that this will happen. If you decide to upgrade next month or next year instead, that's fine as well, but PP2014GD and P11 will stop working by Thursday because SMS servers will stop processing existing Poser licenses. This only affects Poser 2014 GD and Poser 11.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Now I am not sure if I gave people the wrong impression - we are asked to upgrade to 11.2 by Thursday, but it can be later on if you want to. It's just that SMS servers will stop processing existing PP2014GD and P11 licenses after the 19th, and Rendo is warning people ahead of time that this will happen. If you decide to upgrade next month or next year instead, that's fine as well, but PP2014GD and P11 will stop working by Thursday because SMS servers will stop processing existing Poser licenses. This only affects Poser 2014 GD and Poser 11.

This doesn't make sense that this would happen - unless EVERY person's version of PG10D and P11 is going to "call home" on the 19th, the program should continue to work until it DOES call home.

Hornet3d

Wise

I understood that you could update to the new version of Poser for some time after launch, for it to be otherwise would be madness. I also understood that we would need to update to overcome the deactivation at some point. What I was confused about is that it implied if you did not update on the 19th Poser 11 would stop working on that date. If SM shut down their servers on that date I understand there will be no response to the 'phone home' unless the Poser has been updated. My confusion is my belief that the deactivation only happened if there was not response in a six month period. It certainly took that long for Game Dev users to discover the evil feature. Of course that could have changed SM was always far from transparent on this feature starting from day one when they introduced it.

On a positive note, I guess is that Rendo might remove this feature in the long term and even if they do not they should at least be hanging on to Poser for a while.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This doesn't make sense that this would happen - unless EVERY person's version of PG10D and P11 is going to "call home" on the 19th, the program should continue to work until it DOES call home.
It might be that Rendo clarifies the situation between now and the update launch. Clearly they know just how the feature actually works while we are only working on the information we have gleaned having seen the results of this feature over the years. I guess there is bound to be some confusion this is a big ask of Rendo so I hope everyone gives them a little space.

There is no need to guess how it works. I have just done a quick test by blocking all network access (in and out) with my firewall, and then tried to launch PP11 and PP10GD (aka "2014 Game Dev"). The results were: Poser 11 doesn't even launch, and Poser 10 Game Dev instantly deactivated my license until I get online again. In other words, they both call home EVERY TIME you launch them, and not every 6 months as some have believed. This means all Poser versions after 10 will stop working after the 19th because the SMS servers will no longer validate the licenses.

GameDev.jpg

I've still got Poser Pro 2012. I'm assuming that's old enough to not need to worry about it not opening if I ever need to open it for something. Even if it probably is no longer really supported.

That is correct. The home calling only affects versions after Poser 10, which means Poser 10 Pro Game Dev (aka "Poser 2014 Game Dev"), Poser 11, and Poser 11 Pro.