• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Polly for Luna: Caution--if you are afraid of clowns,do not open thread!

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
Thank you so much ladies. Now I need to do my tweaks and get the materials in Poser and DS finished then hopefully I will have her ready for testing in a week or two.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So cute AD...what sort of blend mode are you using for the face paint layers? They look terrific!

AetherDream

Contributing Artist
Hi Pendraia, thank you for your kind words. Okay so what I do to get the painted look is I am using photoshop. I make a layer and set the blend to normal. I then go to my paint brush Icon and select the Mixer Brush tool, from there I normally select the Round Curve brush and then set the bristles to about 14 percent, but vary this and the angle as needed. I then vary the flow rate or the opacity of the brush. I merge down the paint layers and then do some blending between the colors. Also, after paint layers are merged, I might use some slight variations on a color for a few strokes to make it look like wet paint blending.

So cute AD...what sort of blend mode are you using for the face paint layers? They look terrific!

Thanks Alisa!
Adorable!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the explanation AD...which version of PS are you using? I only have CS3, I looked for a mixer brush and couldn't find it...: (

AetherDream

Contributing Artist
Hmm-- I am using CS5--
Brush tool.PNG
When I click on the small triangle at the edge of the brush tool, it is an option there that pops up on the list. I am not sure if this was implemented after CS3 as I did not have that version. But if you do have it, I usually select the brush that is numbered 25 in CS5 but not sure if it has a different number in CS3, but it looks like this.
Brush option.PNG
. If you do not have this exact thing, then maybe there is something similar.

Brush option.PNG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't know about CS3, but my CS2 (and earlier versions) only allows me to choose between brush, pencil or color replacement tool. In fact, I usually just right-click any of the tools for the other available options, but I certainly don't have a list of brush sizes popup. That would be a nice feature though.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Really cute painting, AD! Looking forward to these in the store!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hmm-- I am using CS5--View attachment 4855 When I click on the small triangle at the edge of the brush tool, it is an option there that pops up on the list. I am not sure if this was implemented after CS3 as I did not have that version. But if you do have it, I usually select the brush that is numbered 25 in CS5 but not sure if it has a different number in CS3, but it looks like this. View attachment 4857. If you do not have this exact thing, then maybe there is something similar.

View attachment 4856
I'm pretty sure CS3 doesn't have those but I'll have a look and see if I can find something similar...thanks for the info AD!

AetherDream

Contributing Artist
Thank you everyone for being so supportive during the development of this project. It has now been tested and I have submitted it to QAV. My fingers are crossed in hopes of it being accepted.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
She's adorable Aether. I'm sure she'll pass QAV with flying colors. :)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
I'm on mobile at the moment but when I'm back at my computer I will pass your submission on to QAV. Beautifully done!