• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Once Upon a Time - Render Challenge

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
After starting to read the wonderful story over in the sandbox, it got me thinking that we could have a render challenge based on the story. This would be a lot of fun and also will allow the story to have illustrations throughout.

Prize List

Any one product from Lully's Hivewire Store
Any one of Lisa's Botanicals products
Any one product from Pommerlis' Hivewire Store

...... and if anyone else wishes to contribute then all the better.

Rules

Has to have at least 3 elements of the story in it, (eg . nebula sky, sparkly sand, copper teapot, rat with hat and tails, kit, houseboat, pyramid structure)
Any styles and any medium.

Challenge will start now for a month, then it will be thrown to public vote.

Hope you all join in :)

Link to story below
Once upon a time | HiveWire 3D Community

:D-----:)-----:D-----:)-----:D-----:)-----:D-----:)-----:D-----:)-----:D-----:)-----:D-----:)-----:D

Last edited:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
I love this idea! I read through the story myself and kept thinking how much fun it would be to render pieces of it.

I'll offer any one of Lisa's Botanicals products, too.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Ok I know I am not entering but I needed to get this out me head, although it's probably not the image in your head :)

it might shrink it so click to enlarge?
yep it shrunkted it

forumrender1.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm glad you're not entering Dawn, I wouldn't stand a chance against that :D

The Rats hat reminds me of Slashes :)
Got something cooking, I don't know if it'll be too dark until it finishes so fingers crossed :drawing:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It didn't say what the limit was for entries? Since its going for a month and more story (hopefully) will be written, can we put more entries in later?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Thanks all, :)

Rae, your render looks great, why didn't I think of using a human figure? would have been far easier, even if I stuck a mouse head on him after in post-work.

I like the lighting with the globe giving off the main lighting, the kit looks intrigued, maybe she things it's a posh cat toy :)

The hat was a freebie by skinmez at rendo, but when I checked all their freebies have been taken down.

Counting on you Lorraine, considering you started the story :) Hope you are entering too Miss B.

Can't see why not, more entries the better, let's fill the thread with piccies. I hope the story will continue, it had me hooked yesterday although broke off from reading to do me image, then went back to it, think I got the pyramid wrong though but that is what initially popped into my head so I'm sticking with that.

Pen, my sand is the grass plane i had in my freebies site, not sure you got it? just an undulating terrain will do, the mats are poser procedurals so wont work in daz, maybe try my iray shader with the following settings to start with, (off the top of my head so not sure it will work)

Starter base matt
Tan Diffuse colour
Shine colour - gold

Add a bump or displacement map that is of a noise type, you might have to make it as there isn't one in the factory set, maybe in the next one ;) make the bump/disp so that it resembles sand texture, (use image scale/bump strength in factory for ease) then maybe add the bump map to the metal shine so that it is shines only on parts of the sand

But there are other scenes in the story, the boathouse, the cottage that big rocky/leathery thing lives in or the starry tunnel when they are falling.

I hope McG enters, love to see what is in his head :)

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Prize list has increased with an item from Pommerlis' store, Thanks Pom for your generosity :)

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
More of an 'inspired by' than a true illustration. Don't count this as an entry, I was just having fun.

ratinthehat.jpg

I used the toon materials from Shaderworks AND Poser's comic book filter with edge lines. They play quite well together. The final rat and cat are a composite of four renders made at different threshold levels on the comic book filter. Postwork in PSP around the eyes (the original eyelashes didn't look so good), to tidy up the edge lines and to add the starry background and swirls. Oh, and to make the rat's nose pink.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the info Dawn...

Thanks Pom...you are just so generous! Thanks to Dawn and Lisa also...can't remember if I've said it yet...

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I didn't have a rat so he's now a Ratman :) but I did have a white Cat (couldn't make it into a kitten tho), Sparkly Sand, Gold Pyramid and Nebular sky!

I actually saw this the other day elsewhere in the forums and had to get the kitten morphs. And as more kittens are always better, I thought I 'd share.

Hi Lynne.
As Promised i did fnd a kitten morph by Daio for the MilCat.
You cn get it here.
Holiday Kittens by Daio Poser Seasonal/Holiday

Hope this works

I'm hoping the link survived the quotes.