• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Off topic stuff moved from "Refining Our Direction at HiveWire 3D" thread

SSGBryan

Inspired
V4/M4 - Oct 2006 (my cc still shudders over that time).

AFA a Dawn 2, a suggestion. This time, be smart enough to have a morph + package ready to go on day one.

If Hivewire has done that with Dawn 1, the Poser community would have been saying “Vicky who?” instead of “Seriously, a Horse?” for the first year of her existence.

One other suggestion - more ethnicities. The reason that I am still heavily invested in M4/V4 (and not spending much money here) is because Dawn never left the pin-up/Logan’s World mentality.

I have more early 20’s Caucasians than I’ll ever need.

What I am buying is everything else. (Old people, kids, and every race except Caucasians.) Or actually not buying, since there are so few.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
11-24-2019 Note - I just moved this stuff from the Refining our Direction thread, which had several pages of off topic stuff :). Thanks!

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
BTW, you should check out my Poser Directory for links to online Poser stores. Granted, they're not all Hivewire or Renderosity. Some of them are for HDRI and reference images, and some are vendor owned.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I don't believe that LaFemme is an "official" Renderosity figure. Smith Micro does claim co-sponsorship with the figure, and even though RPublishing claims to have their brand on 23 items for LaFemme, I counted, 'cause that's just what I do' and I counted 6 items with their logo.
Never understood why 'Rosity, esp when they bought out Poser, didn't ask the Hive to make Dusk, Dawn and Luna the default figures, talk about a full fledged, fleshed out set of figures... La Femme still has no male counterpart and with her football shoulders and weirdness where the breast and underarm meets... quite a turn off. I know that Blackhearted did a bang up job with his morph pack for her but I don't see any products at 'Rosity that specifically supports this rendition of La Femme

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Never understood why 'Rosity, esp when they bought out Poser, didn't ask the Hive to make Dusk, Dawn and Luna the default figures, talk about a full fledged, fleshed out set of figures.

I suppose that's because Rosity had already decided to make LF their "officially" sponsored figure way before they acquired Poser. She was already the official Rendo figure, and now they relabeled her to the official Poser figure. Looking back on Rendo store sales, Dawn hasn't done well through the last few years, with a peak in vendor support back 3-4 years ago, and then... silence.

How do I know that? Because I have bought almost everything they made for Dawn, and looking at the release dates, none were newer than 2-3 years before I bought them, and that was over a year ago. That means vendors have stopped supporting Dawn at Rendo, probably because of the fuss over Ero's new figure. Ero has managed to gather some quality group of vendors to support LF, which has pushed people's attention towards her. Not only that - the figure was Poser-only, so it got no backslash from DAZ since it doesn't compete with them like Dawn did.

However, that may change now that Rendo has acquired Poser. I don't think Rendo would stop selling DS contents, but now they have a reason to, because it creates a conflict of interest. If Genesis contents sell more than Poser's, that's bad for the business. After all, they are a content store, and now they also own Poser. On top of this, DAZ never had a reason to antagonize Rendo, but now they do.

Just note that HW figures are now included with Poser and Reallusion CC3 in respective native formats. I have seen Reallusion ads using Dawn over the last few months, and she looks awesome. We can do things with Dawn in CC3 that we can't do in either Poser or DS, like mixing morphs from Genesis, V4, and Dawn all at once, while also using native clothing from any of these figures with very little effort. I know Genesis was already being supported by Reallusion programs way before, but it's Dawn, Dusk, Baby Luna and the HW Gorilla that got bundled with CC3 in the end.

This means that HW figures are bundled with more 3D programs than Genesis or LF combined. Now we just need to turn that into store sales. That's OUR job - the content creators.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I suppose that's because Rosity had already decided to make LF their "officially" sponsored figure way before they acquired Poser. She was already the official Rendo figure, and now they relabeled her to the official Poser figure. Looking back on Rendo store sales, Dawn hasn't done well through the last few years, with a peak in vendor support back 3-4 years ago, and then... silence.

How do I know that? Because I have bought almost everything they made for Dawn, and looking at the release dates, none were newer than 2-3 years before I bought them, and that was over a year ago. That means vendors have stopped supporting Dawn at Rendo, probably because of the fuss over Ero's new figure. Ero has managed to gather some quality group of vendors to support LF, which has pushed people's attention towards her. Not only that - the figure was Poser-only, so it got no backslash from DAZ since it doesn't compete with them like Dawn did.

However, that may change now that Rendo has acquired Poser. I don't think Rendo would stop selling DS contents, but now they have a reason to, because it creates a conflict of interest. If Genesis contents sell more than Poser's, that's bad for the business. After all, they are a content store, and now they also own Poser. On top of this, DAZ never had a reason to antagonize Rendo, but now they do.

Just note that HW figures are now included with Poser and Reallusion CC3 in respective native formats. I have seen Reallusion ads using Dawn over the last few months, and she looks awesome. We can do things with Dawn in CC3 that we can't do in either Poser or DS, like mixing morphs from Genesis, V4, and Dawn all at once, while also using native clothing from any of these figures with very little effort. I know Genesis was already being supported by Reallusion programs way before, but it's Dawn, Dusk, Baby Luna and the HW Gorilla that got bundled with CC3 in the end.

This means that HW figures are bundled with more 3D programs than Genesis or LF combined. Now we just need to turn that into store sales. That's OUR job - the content creators.
Was told by a power source at Rendo that there will be A LOT of new and great stuff coming out to support their positioning of P11. I hope the content creators who offer stuff for Poser are creating stuff as good looking as the stuff sold at DAZ for D/S. Tired of looking and having to work with product not so good with Poser end user in mind.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I have a number of Hivewire products, I just haven't made anything new for a while for a lot of reasons.
I have no time for art or 3d right now and am in dire financial straits - which means no software or hardware updates, no product purchases, etc... I do not support P11 and already more and more products are p11 specific, and I almost guarantee that Dawn 2 is going to require P11 or better so that pushes me out right there when it happens.
Those products I have made for Dusk and Dawn just have not sold well because the community for Dusk and Dawn is rather small, unfortunately (or I am not very good).
Given I have not had a place to set up my workstation since December and I am dealing with too much in Real Life following my father's death I have been unable to even finish the products I have had in development for the past year - by the time I do get a chance to finish them they will be obsolete.
Couple all of this with deteriorating personal health, loss of interest, and unhappiness about the state of the software and the community and...well...days as a vendor numbered.

At this time I have neither the time nor desire to find new homes for products once they retire. For many of mine, they have already been reworked and moved 3 or more times (RuntimeDNA, Content Paradise, Yurdigital, CGBytes...) so when they leave here they will not resurface.

At this time, to my knowledge, my products for Dusk, Dawn, the Gorilla, Creepy Kid 2, some backdrops, and a few others will still be here.
Feeling your pain. Family member deaths kill the psyche. I lost 3 immediate family members in 2010 and my muse and my psyche crashed and burned. Just when i started climbing back out a bit my computer went wonky and started to reboot during renders or set-ups. Graphic card dying and no fix or replacement for it since my laptop is now considered "Vintage" and un-repairable or parts for it unavailable, I feel sport of anbandoned and desolate. since April now I just don't want to buy yet another darn piece of expensive equipment. So, dead in the water!
Sure doesn't help depression and loneliness when those few things you love ding no longer give you relief.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hey Janet- even I am not an exclusive vendor :) I've had a store at Rendo since 2008. I just have loads of HW exclusive products :) I will likely move my old Mil Horse stuff over to Rendo - I was contemplating it anyway right before this new HW policy came about as that is a more appropriate venue for that older stuff.
I just wish Rendo search engines allow easier searching for older Millenium/Poser exclusive or Poser appropriate products in the thmbnails or the actual search criteria settings. When you key a criteria in it many times gives results for everything except what you really want.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just wish Rendo search engines allow easier searching for older Millenium/Poser exclusive or Poser appropriate products in the thmbnails or the actual search criteria settings. When you key a criteria in it many times gives results for everything except what you really want.
Yes, I've often had issues with their store's search. Then again, DAZ's search isn't all that great either, which is why I try to be sure I have the vendor's name of products I purchased from those stores, so I can shorten the search a great deal.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have indeed had times when I wanted to search for what products Rendo had just for Dawn, but there was no way to do that. If I filter by "Dawn" as a keyword, I end up with all sorts of unrelated products for other figures that use "Dawn" in the titles.

eclark1894

Visionary
That's why I gave Dusk and Dawn their own category in the Poser Directory. La Femme and Project E have their own categories as well. It makes it easier to shop for your favorite figure.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist

I agree with all you stated but if you go to there main sales pages rather than respective DAZ Content and Poser Content pages you'll see that the number of DAZ content sold at 'Rosity far outweighs what's currently being created for Poser. It's not a dis it's just a fact. Every so often I go to the full store offerings if I'm looking for 2D merchant resources and one day I just looked over Le Femme's products and noticed that there was ALLOT of DAZ content there, didn't used to be like that but it seems so now. I'm pretty sure 'Rosity will take the money regardless of what software is being created for! ;)

eclark1894

Visionary
I agree with all you stated but if you go to there main sales pages rather than respective DAZ Content and Poser Content pages you'll see that the number of DAZ content sold at 'Rosity far outweighs what's currently being created for Poser. It's not a dis it's just a fact. Every so often I go to the full store offerings if I'm looking for 2D merchant resources and one day I just looked over Le Femme's products and noticed that there was ALLOT of DAZ content there, didn't used to be like that but it seems so now. I'm pretty sure 'Rosity will take the money regardless of what software is being created for! ;)

Well, I agree, but what you were looking at, especially if you were looking at La Femme products and still saw Studio merchandise was probably an ad. So, you may still see a lot of Studio products being sold, but Renderosity may reduce or even eliminate the practice of selling non-Poser specific ads on Poser specific content pages.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I should have written that better. I was on the all in one main sales page that contains for sale items for Poser, DAZ Studio, other 3D Software, 2D stuff too. I would scroll on that page and find mostly DS stuff....

What's New | Marketplace | Renderosity

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I'm pretty sure 'Rosity will take the money regardless of what software is being created for!

I agree they make money either ways, but I was referring to Rendo protecting Poser, their new intellectual property. In a similar way, and with the same purpose, DAZ forbids selling HW figures in their store. Chances are they could make MORE money if they did, but they decided not to. HW could make more money selling competing figures and related contents, but more recently they decided not to.

Therefore there are precedents for that kind of IP protection actions in this market. Chances are that Rendo might be the only remaining mainstream Poser/DS store that still sell contents from competing sources. Hence it's not completely absurd to assume that Rendo could follow suit.

Semicharm

Eager
I don't see Renderosity abandoning DS content any time soon, it's just too much of their business. However, they now have an even greater vested interest in bolstering support for Poser among their vendors. Poser used to be their dominant content platform. It took years for DS content to catch up, let alone surpass Poser by its current margin. Any meaningful shift back towards Poser will take time to build both the software features as well as the foundation and breath of contented required to win users back. (And yes, since someone is bound to bring it up again, that may very well require rebuilding Poser with proper unimesh support. Honestly, they'll have to do it sooner or later anyway if they don't want to be relegated as a "legacy" product. It's going to take awhile, likely a few years to get it altogether, so it'd be best to bite the bullet and start the work ASAP.)

Now, whether Daz will antagonize them in some way... Let's just say, given their history, that's a good possibility.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Semicharm It is true that Rosity would have a lot to loose by departing from DS contents, but didn't DAZ do that in the past? I can only estimate that they have lost at least half their customers with that move, and that was a major thing that led to Poser's fall in popularity. The Poser team lacked the history and the skills to compete in the mainstream figure market, which on its turn led to Poser ending up with no significant modern figures - at least until HW stepped in.

What I mean is that loosing a significant number of customers didn't stop DAZ from doing it in the past, so coming from that, it wouldn't be impossible if Rendo did the same on their side. After all, there is a strong precedent.