• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Octavet for Dawn

Hello folks. I'm working on a character for Dawn that I call Octavet. She's a Cyborg with four metallic tentacles protruding from her back. Her face and body will be sculpted in zBrush as will the facial and body geografts and tentacles. I do not yet have any images of her with these parts attached, but I will have some preliminary ones within the next few days.

Yeah, I like challenging stuff. The arm leg and back geografts aren't going to be that hard, but I'm going to have an interesting time getting the one for her right eye to play nice. But, I'm sure I can handle it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhhh . . . A Dawn Borg!!! How fun!! :D

I look forward to seeing some prelims. ;)

Edited to Add: Hmmmmm, I just had a thought . . . is this going to be DS only, or are you going to be doing it for Poser too? ~hint, hint, hint~

Ohhhhh . . . A Dawn Borg!!! How fun!! :D

I look forward to seeing some prelims. ;)

Edited to Add: Hmmmmm, I just had a thought . . . is this going to be DS only, or are you going to be doing it for Poser too? ~hint, hint, hint~

If some kind person would like to help with making her Poser compatible, I would appreciate it, as Poser and I just don't click. And I do own Poser 11 as well as DS.

Edited to fix mangled quote.

sounds great cnt waut to see her

I'm working hard on her; I just did the first pass fitting of the faceplate geograft for DAZ Studio and it went a lot better than I expected with the difference in poly-count between Dawn and Genesis 3/Genesis 8. Here is an image of the raw mesh grafted into place on Dawn:
Eyeplate for Octavet raw untextured item.jpg

Yes, I know about the border and plan to blend the skin and metallic plate so the edges aren't as obvious, as I don't have any kind of texture applied to the graft now. And, I will also make sure I get rid of the poke-through eyelashes asap.

Okay, a bit of an update on Octavet. Took a closer look at the faceplate and found it's not fully linked like I hoped (around the eyes is a bit tricky to get right), but the base part of the back plate came out right; image of that below.
Octavet Backplate raw.jpg
I did actually use some of Dawn's body shape morphs in the Abdomen to check to see if it took properly and as you can see there aren't any noticeable gaps here.

Edit: Kant tipe tonight... :giggle:

Progress report of sorts; playing with a different eyeplate geograft tonight resulted in nasty gaps when I would bump the resolution up due to how I shaped it. On the plus side of things, I did figure out how to hide the right side eyelashes when the geograft is applied. Next step: an eyeplate that actually doesn't have any gaps when I change from base to high resolution AND has the eyelashes hidden when applied. I CAN do this. :lol::bee:

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I'm working hard on her; I just did the first pass fitting of the faceplate geograft for DAZ Studio and it went a lot better than I expected with the difference in poly-count between Dawn and Genesis 3/Genesis 8. Here is an image of the raw mesh grafted into place on Dawn:View attachment 27493

Yes, I know about the border and plan to blend the skin and metallic plate so the edges aren't as obvious, as I don't have any kind of texture applied to the graft now. And, I will also make sure I get rid of the poke-through eyelashes asap.

Love the idea of this project!

This is probably a dumb question, but why does the difference in poly count between Genesis 8, 3,and Dawn matter? Are you making it for all 3 at the same time?

Love the idea of this project!

This is probably a dumb question, but why does the difference in poly count between Genesis 8, 3,and Dawn matter? Are you making it for all 3 at the same time?

Yes I'm doing versions for all three, but the comment was more a general comparison of the figures than anything else; I'm simply more used to a lower poly count when working on morphs and geografts.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Yes I'm doing versions for all three, but the comment was more a general comparison of the figures than anything else; I'm simply more used to a lower poly count when working on morphs and geografts.

Which figure do you think would be the best figure for a beginner to start working with? Or are they just different? I see so many completely opposite opinions on whether more or less polys is optimal/ easier to work with. ( not including games)

Which figure do you think would be the best figure for a beginner to start working with? Or are they just different? I see so many completely opposite opinions on whether more or less polys is optimal/ easier to work with. ( not including games)

Hmm... That's really a tough one to answer, to be honest. The Genesis figures (at least Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 Female) are about half the polygon count of Dawn, but surprisingly for what I've done with them for Octavet, the poly count difference isn't as much of a problem as I thought it might be. I've found that the brush settings in zBrush need to be done a little differently, but that's really the only thing that's changed for me.