• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yup, no bandicoot (had to look that one up)... it's always hard for me to resist doing art on my wip sets... so here we go :)

westscreechsaguaro.jpg

and here's a illustration of scale...

Render2.jpg

I purposely chose smaller saguaros for the main set prop just they dwarfed everything else... two of the three standalone props are shown here with the two-armed saguaro being the largest in the set. The one-arm is also part of the main prop and the single column one (not shown) is a little larger than the one-arm and has the nesting cavity.

Jan

Adventurous
Looking good now, love the three little wrens on top and the hummingbird. The tops of the Ocotillo, should it be blunt as if it has been cut, or is it like that naturally?

Jan

Adventurous
I have been taking photos and videoing my Eastern Blue-tongue lizard who emerged from hibernation three days ago. He lives under our driveway.

Yesterday, he/she was joined by another blue-tongue but this one was a different colour in the markings, brown & cream stripes. Here is a photo I have cropped and resized for here.

EasternBlue-tongueLizards1a.jpg

I just took this a while ago and I was surprised to see them as today is cloudy with no sun, but the 'brown' was fairly active while the 'grey' is sleeping and crawled around and right over the 'grey'
I wonder if they are male and female, but I think you can tell from the head and tail shape. I have asked The Australian Reptile Park for info and am awaiting on their answer.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Jan,

On skinks-- I think they turn brown the farther North they are found. I don't think there are any big m/f color differences.

On my model- yes I caught the tip of the ocotillo issue after looking at my render-- I've since then finished the non-flowered tips with leaves. One interesting note is that the leaves on an ocotillo come out in the spring, then whither in summer heat and turn into intense thorns.

Here's a Poser Firefly render showing the fairly complete habitat set... in the front is the third plant, 4-winged Saltbush.

SaguaroMain.jpg

Jan

Adventurous
Hi Ken, re the lizards - I have now sent photos to the Australian Reptile Park (NSW) at their request. They said their experts would be able to help in the sexing and identification.

The set is looking better and better. Why do they call it 4-winged saltbush, is it the leaf placement. Really like the Saguaros cactus models they look so good.

Jan

Adventurous
Had a reply back to my query re the Eastern Blue-tongue lizard photos I sent to the Australian Reptile Park, it was brief and still did not answer my question if body or head size was any indication as to the sex.

We’ve had a member from our Reptiles Team assess the image and he believes that the one closest to the fence is a male and the lighter coloured one is a female.

However, he can’t guarantee this without physically examining.

Best wishes,

Penny.

Reception Team

Australian Reptile Park

Ph: (02) 4340 1022

Email: admin@reptilepark.com.au

This means that the' grey' lizard is probably a male and the 'brown' is a female, both Eastern Blue-tongues.

Jan

Adventurous
Sorry to hog the thread Ken. Whilst I was out on the balcony where I have this overhead view of the lizard hole, my male Magpie deposited this in exchange for some mince meat that I had.

SkinkMapgieKill1a.jpg

He took the meat over to their nest to give to their chicks and came back and snatched this small dead skink back whilst I was taking the photo, I knew he was going to so I was hurried and unfortunately blurred the photo. Lucky I got the photo first. The tail piece was still moving, but the poor Skink was dead.

Magpie-Male1a.jpg

This is him, Mr Mags. He is a good father, keeping their territory clear of other birds likely to harm their chicks or compete for food, even seen him chasing Eagles. Magpies can be very dangerous in breeding season as they swoop down and attach people who venture into their territory. However my Magpies have never been known to do this, I think because feed them. I have lived here for 16 years now and he has been here all that time.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
...The set is looking better and better. Why do they call it 4-winged saltbush, is it the leaf placement. Really like the Saguaros cactus models they look so good.

Thanks, it's called 4-winged because sets four leaves are grouped along stem. It get the name saltbush because it draws salt from the soil. NativeAmericans such as the Chumash and Tongas use dried slatbush leaves to add seasoning (salt) to their food. Saltbush is also favorite nesting place for many ground birds due to dense structure which offers some protection.

Szark

Awesome
Here are some renders for you all 2 Iray and one 3DL. Man it's been a good 18 months since I did a 3DL render.

1: Default Iray Sun/Sky
2: Iray HDRI
3: 3DL Uber Environment 2, HDRI (not Tiff) and one Distant light

These are beta renders but from what I have seen of the final set nothing shows up major. :) I haven't had time to re render them with the final set.

iray5S.jpg

habwidefinalS.jpg

3dlfinalS.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
All look great. Yea, I will have to study 3Delight again here and there! lol I think my brain only has so much room! :p

Szark

Awesome
Oh I Duplicated the front terrain and the then instanced that duplicate twice as I removed some plants of the duplicate and then added back in some singles. You can just see the hole on the left.

The Iray pushed my RAM usage up to 10 GBs when rendered at that size. I did have Shader displacement Sub-D at 4, on the terrain. :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Those are really nice, Szark. I'm happy you did a 3dl for us naysaying non-Iray types, it looks really good.