• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

My Nickie cat....

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Awww, so sorry about your kitty hon. I hope you can find the right balance to help him feel better! Aging is no fun for any of us. HUGS

You can say THAT again!! :confused:

and thanks....I'm dosing his ears with THAT medicine, and he's a bit more relaxed...got an appointment for a bunch of tests (that will take time to get results) on May 16th... his hair IS growing in on his shoulders, so that's good!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I live with Autonomic Nervous System Disorder. I wonder if cats and dogs can develop something like that too. Heart palpitations for no apparent reason, dizzy at times, spacey too and one of the most annoying aspects of this disorder are the itchy ears. OMG. All the way down to my eardrum. Found this wonderful cream on line, originally bought from Amazon but found a better price at EBay as I have a client with similar issues with her ears and it WORKS! Only issue is that it takes about a month to arrive...

Herbal Cream Eczema Psoriasis Dermatitis Vitiligo Skin Rash Seborrhea Ointment | eBay

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Update:
Nickie prolly DOES have diabetes... he IS drinking/eating a ton and not gaining weight, like they warned me of on his higher does of Prednisone. He goes in for his tests for skin itch and blood tests a week from tomorrow... he's holding his own, wound healing...but he is still so "off"....I'm scared about the weaning off of one kind of cortisone and being put on another one.. as he has to have a strong dose of it, to be SAFE... so hope I can take one down, while adding one in... not take him OFF... or he'll be in trouble...I'll write out all my "?" for when my ex takes him... I'm so unhappy that the Prednisone can CAUSE diabetes!?! AND he can only take a LIQUID medication... or he and I cannot handle it..... I never could get a pill into him in any form/way...

So meanwhile, I'm just trying to not think of it all, loving him, and taking one day at a time... but I tell you, he and I are "two peas in a pod" with all our health crap! :/

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I haven't posted in a long while...waiting for poor little Nickie to heal, while a super dose of Prednisone was holding his itchy-ness at bay... then my ex took him back in yesterday and I got some verdicts... he indeed had a strange case of a MITE?! It's not contagious to humans, not in the environment, just there?! So he got a dose of anti-flea-mite stuff on his neck... now at a bit lower dose of Pred, (because he indeed has Diabetes and HAS to be weaned off of this 'can cause diabetes type of cortisone medicine) he is ONLY scratching hard enough to pull out gobs of fur from the medication site... - which, since he NEEDS THAT, I just have to hope he'll stop soon...apparently like his Mommy he's had another bad reaction to a medication...and it irritates/hurts his skin so much he's scratching that area... BUT he's not overly licking or scratching any other area... so now begins the weaning off of Pred, and starting a different type of cortisone compounded into a liquid (HE WILL NOT EVER TAKE A PILL IN ANY FORM/WAY) .... I have to take the Pred down 1/2 ML (or CC) a week till he's off - about 3 weeks of that, while taking the new kind also (to keep is Pancreatitis and IBS in check BUT the SCARY THING is that if it's NOT the Pred causing the diabetes, he WILL have to have TWO INJECTIONS of insulin a day?!?! Im' not good at/with this at all...and if he is hurt he will not let me, and I can't physically force him and do that sort of thing... so it's VERY SERIOUS for us and I'm upset beyond words for my baby... I HAVE to take it one day/one week at a time, till we get him off the Pred, and have a new blood test (and watch his drinking/eating actions, hoping he stops drinking SO much water) and MAYBE he wont have diabetes?!?! My vet said IF it's caused by the Prednisone, it could be cured but I have to be ready for him to have developed it any way. :cry:

With my age and health, I'm so NOT able to deal with another cat, (especially with any health problems in the animal) ever again in my life.... so this is just not a good time... I'm picking at art stuff while dealing with all the meds (Nickie is on an antibiotic right now too- it's liquid and he takes it ok)...

My ex said with ALL the meds out there for diabetics for humans, he does not see why there would not BE a pill or liquid form for us... I really wonder that too... the Pet Pharmacy I'm getting the new cortisone from (mailed to me by a place in Scottsdale AZ no less!) specializes in "compounds" so I'm going to ask my vet's office manager gal (that I like/trust a LOT) if there is... the vet he's seeing right now is an older lady, been there 20 years or more... WHY would she say that dogs and cats can ONLY have insulin by injection???? :cry:

Carey

Extraordinary
I hate having to reply to sick animal posts. Sick people you can say something to cheer them up, with a sick animal I have to play it straight. You can't even get away with sending them a funny get well card.. I mean I do speak a little bit of cat, but it is far from Purrrfect. I do hope everything works out for the best for you both...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Did your vet talk about Insulin pens? They are supposedly easier to use than syringes.

Apparently, Diabetes mellitus and some allergies can only be treated by the use of drugs that are only available in an injectable format.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
thanks all... but with the latest from the vet today, I've had to make THE decision. I'm broken up but I found out we'd have to take him OFF all cortisone before starting a new one, which means his IBS and pancreatitis could really go crazy... and with MY health issues/age/emotional situation, I can't go on trying to help them 'cast about in the dark' to balance all his health needs, let alone me trying to manage all HIS meds when I'm having to manage mine... my beloved daughter in law told me that this is a LOVING kind thing to do for him... cats get a 'look' physically that says they are at the end and Nickie's had that look for the past year, increasingly bad... he is suffering from multiple things wrong that are difficult to care for together... at age 13... well... he's had a good and very loving life with me... my ex is driving up after work as soon as he can, and the vet stays open late normally... I'm very very broken up but I have lots of support I'm 'calling in' to help me, help Nickie. I won't have any more pets...which is another ending to my life/age... it's all hard to deal with... I REALLY have to find a new therapist, since my previous one had to stop with the law of no 'out of state' phone therapists.... but at least I have my son, his wife and my friends to be there...

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm so sorry Lyne. It's hard as animals, most, don't have our life expectancy and more and more they seem to have diseases that humans have. Perhaps it's always been like that but it just seems to me that because of how man screws with the environment so much, the quality of these cat and dog foods and all that that our furry friends get what we get. 13 years old seems a might young for a cat but perhaps it's the breed too. As Carey mentioned, it's hard to answer these sorts of posts because you can't send a card or something to cheer up an older ailing animal like you can a human. So I send YOU the hugs and hope you find the strength to do what's right for your beloved kitty. XOXO

Carey

Extraordinary
We are at that point too no more pets, no more puppies, no more kittens or birds. When it comes to go we shall content our selves with their video's and pics as well as the art they inspired...peace and calm be on you..

Hornet3d

Wise
There is very little that you can say when something like this happens, those that have never had pets probably don't understand and those that have understand the hurt so well they can almost feel it. It is always sad but as you say he had a very good and loving life with you and what more can you offer other than to continue to offer that love and make sure they don't suffer any more than they have to.

Many years ago we had dogs and the inevitable happened and it has taken almost twenty years to reach a place in life and have the emotional strength to take on another dog which we did a few years ago. He is a great dog but I always have in the back of my mind that his love and affection is a short blessing. He is a rescue dog that had a hard start in life so we are trying to ensure that the life he has left is at least a lot better than he had.

I am not sure if it helps but I have had diabetes for over ten years now which means a dozen or so tablets a day and two to three injections, then again that used to be five or seven daily, so it has been worse. Despite the fact I try to make sure I have control over it rather than the other way around it has a real impact, not only physically but mentally as well. As a semi intelligent human I understand what is wrong and do my best to live with it. I cannot begin to imagine how this would affect a pet who has no idea what is happening, why they feel so ill and why there human carer's seem to be doing strange things to them. As difficult and upsetting as it is I am sure you have made the right decision and I hope any bad memories soon fade and you only remember the good times very soon.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm so sorry Lyne. It's hard as animals, most, don't have our life expectancy and more and more they seem to have diseases that humans have. Perhaps it's always been like that but it just seems to me that because of how man screws with the environment so much, the quality of these cat and dog foods and all that that our furry friends get what we get. 13 years old seems a might young for a cat but perhaps it's the breed too. As Carey mentioned, it's hard to answer these sorts of posts because you can't send a card or something to cheer up an older ailing animal like you can a human. So I send YOU the hugs and hope you find the strength to do what's right for your beloved kitty. XOXO

We are at that point too no more pets, no more puppies, no more kittens or birds. When it comes to go we shall content our selves with their video's and pics as well as the art they inspired...peace and calm be on you..

I can't say I am an expert on cats but I know the dogs life spans are usually shorter but it does vary a great deal with the breed with life expectancy between 5 and 16 years. That said our neighbour has a terrier that is 18 and he still goes for walks twice a day.

Not only can't we send our pets a card we cannot explain what we are trying to do is for the best. Our dog dislocated a toe last year and he was on short walks and the dressing had to be changed every few days. He hated the dressing and the short walks had him bouncing off the wall in a matter of days. As human we can see such obstacles as a temporary matter but you cannot explain to a pet who lives in the moment. It is the one part of pet ownership that I find one of the most upsetting. They give us unconditional love and in return we have to make the decisions for them, considering the love and laughter they bring to our lives it is a small price to pay but that is no real comfort at these sort of times.

My thoughts are with you Lyne. It is sad to hear this will be your last pet but from a fellow pet owner/lover can I pass on my thanks to you for sharing your life with the pets you have had. Their lives will have been all the more enjoyable for sharing your love.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As Satira stated, not an easy decision. Just know we're all here for you. :grouphug:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I know how hard this is, as anyone with furbabies who have had to make that decision knows. With some of our pets, it's harder than others because of the special bond you had. I still can't think of the pup in my avatar without crying, 16 years after we had to make that decision for him.

Know that you are selflessly choosing Nickie's best interest over your own. I know that's not a lot of comfort, but it's good to remember that.

Sending tons of hugs your way, Lyne!!

:grouphug:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I feel for you Lyne :love:

I too had to make this decision for my beloved Zeus and it was one of the hardest things I had to do but I know it was the best one for him.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Thank you all so much... it's done... and I'm kinda numb... and I'll go pick at an art piece I have been working on... I didn't give his carrier away... I can't see me ever having another pet BUT if my Travis cat (who definitely was my little soul mate guy) were to reincarnate, well... one never knows with life... but unless he falls into my life again, no more pets... my age, my health... sigh.