• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

MULTIPLE Dawn files... which do I install???

Hornet3d

Wise
I have her on my wish list.. there's a bundle with a bunch of morphs that I don't have.. so it may be a while til I can buy it... although... I did get some Christmas money... humm (thinks)

One of my disappointments with Dawn when launched was the lack of morphs but the situation was very different at the launch of Dawn SE. I have posted loads of renders of my main character but this is one of the early ones. The character is created by simpy dial spinning using the morphs commercially available and blending of some merchant resource skin maps in Paint Shop Pro.

Alanis HS HS.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I prefer the look of SR2, as I'm not fond of the pinky look. The yellowish one is easier to make more natural just by reducing the saturation a bit.
The SE has a lot of extra improvements and the good thing is the old skin still works on the new Dawn.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ok, this might be a better comparison (I tried a different light to the other render above, still don't know if I like it but then again I don't really like 3DL :p). The first render is both with the old texture's settings (omHumanSurface), the second is both with SE's new settings (AoA_Subsurface). (I just held down the "Ctrl" button and kept the textures).
3DL omHumanSurface (old).jpg 3DL AoA_Subsurface (new).jpg
Big difference to both shaders on each model, if I was to use this as an art image (if it was artistic lol) then I'd most likely overlay the 2 in photoshop and reduce the top on 50% as I think one is a bit pale and the other a bit bright. (or of course tweak them more to my liking).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And this is the comparison between the 2 in Poser. I'll use the developer lights as they are neutral.
The first one is straight out of the box Firefly. The second one, because she renders black I've hit both with the EZSkin3 shader.
Poser FF.jpg Poser SF EZSkin3.jpg

I really liked both skins in Superfly with the EZSkin3 shader so I hit the both with it for Firefly as well. Much better I think (more tanned than jaundice and a close match to the SF one).
Poser FF EZSkin3.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Same EZSkin3 as above but shows how much difference nice lights can make (these are my fav "Warm'n'Soul" from Rendo)
FF Poser FF EZSkin3 WarmNSoul.jpg SF Poser SF EZSkin3 WarmNSoul.jpg

Edit to Add: this is the same Warm'n'Soul lights but I changed back to the SSS versions of the original skins for each character (and used the blue eye option for a change :D) even the old skin looks much nicer with the SSS version and these lights (unless its kept some of the EZSkin3 shading??). (FF render)
Poser FF SSS.jpg

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not rendered fully (going through a heatwave with no air con :() but it does show the all the different faces you get with the new SE
SE faces.jpg

And to answer your question, yes the new Dusk has new skins too. (I can post those tomorrow morning when it cools so I don't cook my computer)

Llola Lane

Adventurous
oh wow... Rae.. THANK YOU... I can see I'm gonna have to play with Dawn more... on another note.. there's a new Dusk??? When did I miss that? lol

Llola Lane

Adventurous
One of my disappointments with Dawn when launched was the lack of morphs but the situation was very different at the launch of Dawn SE. I have posted loads of renders of my main character but this is one of the early ones. The character is created by simpy dial spinning using the morphs commercially available and blending of some merchant resource skin maps in Paint Shop Pro.

View attachment 34046
Just amazing how real she looks.. I like it... I guess I'm gonna have to play. All the renders I've been doing have no displacement on the face so she looks very mannequin. What render engine did you use?

Hornet3d

Wise
Just amazing how real she looks.. I like it... I guess I'm gonna have to play. All the renders I've been doing have no displacement on the face so she looks very mannequin. What render engine did you use?

I use Poser and this was a few years ago so it would have been firefly. I managed to get Poser 11 a few weeks ago when it was on sale so this is the character now and rendered in superfly.

Caoimhe SF basen HW.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOL yes there's a new Dusk, he's been around almost as long as the new Dawn SE I think :D
(not the best render, still hot here so it just doesn't want to render, this was for approx. 30mins I think and was still at 0%)
Dusk Comparison.jpg

I also think its amazing how different both HW figures can look with just a skin change. These are just a few of the skins I have for Dawn, they all have the same Iray skin shader (JM HumanShader) as I love how that looks in Iray so I've slowly been saving mat files with that shader and this is the results so far (some were poser skins). First one is SE, second the old Dawn skin, the bottom row first is Baby Luna, and last Sora. The rest inbetween are various ones from her or Rendo (except for the 3rd top she's an African Poser character I'm working on).
Dawn skins.jpg

Llola Lane

Adventurous
sorry I missed these gang... I was away from the forum for a few days... Had some stuff to do... Thank you all for the samples... I did find the Dusk SE... Now I just gotta figure out finances ;)
Trying to keep warm in Ohio ... burrrrrrrrrr.. Hugzzzzzzzzz to you all!

Llola Lane

Adventurous
LOL yes there's a new Dusk, he's been around almost as long as the new Dawn SE I think :D
(not the best render, still hot here so it just doesn't want to render, this was for approx. 30mins I think and was still at 0%)
View attachment 34074

I also think its amazing how different both HW figures can look with just a skin change. These are just a few of the skins I have for Dawn, they all have the same Iray skin shader (JM HumanShader) as I love how that looks in Iray so I've slowly been saving mat files with that shader and this is the results so far (some were poser skins). First one is SE, second the old Dawn skin, the bottom row first is Baby Luna, and last Sora. The rest inbetween are various ones from her or Rendo (except for the 3rd top she's an African Poser character I'm working on).
View attachment 34076
Oh Yeeeeees... skin makes a difference.. I don't have many... I'm gonna start playing more with the coloring dials.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I do have Poser 9... I think that's superfly... looks like I'm gonna have to start playing with it more. Thanks oodles.

Poser 9/Pro 2012 and Poser 10/Pro 2014 only have Firefly. For Superfly, you need Poser 11 or higher (there's no higher at this time ;)).

Llola Lane

Adventurous
Thank you Alisa... I get so confused by names.. fireFLY.. superFLY... sheesh.. It's ok... I've not played with my Poser 9 much... I got an update a while back and it was faster when it rendered... I'll have to play more ;)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL! Smith Micro has P11 upgrades to either P11 or P11 Pro thru the end of January, if you're interested
Compare Poser 3D Software Features - Smith Micro

Need to scroll down a bit to where the orange boxes are about upgrading.

Since the Big Cat came out, HiveWire is now only creating for Poser 10 and higher (some things will still work in P9 but there are some that won't or will require some editing of things to make them work) One big reason is that Poser 9 does not have subdivision. We're now only officially supporting Poser 10 for CA products as well:

HiveWire To Support Poser 10/Pro 2014 And DAZ Studio 4.9 And Above

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Funny you should mention P9 Alisa, as I went to open it to check out one of the included scripts I used all the time, and I see my P9 Library is no longer being displayed, because it needs Flash, which my laptop no longer has, and which I refuse to reinstall. No one's using Flash anymore, as it's no longer stable.

It's a good thing I have my PP11 Library set up to view all my Runtimes, including P9. I guess that's why I never realized, until today, that it's no longer viewable from within P9. Definitely a good time to move everything over to my PP11 Runtime. ;)