• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Much To Learn You Still Have…my Old Padawan. … This Is Just The Beginning!

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Yes, an odd title for a thread, but as my previous one did not survive I thought I would try and start again. Plus as it is a saying from Yoda, it holds quite a bit of truth.

No ONE person knows everything. EVERYONE can learn and pass on that learning to others. That way, the knowledge grows and people can come to thread like this one and see that they don't have to know masses of things, just have an urge to learn to do things.

In the beginning........ there are two types of people in 3D. Users and creators. Everyone starts off as a user, but sometimes you get this little urge to want to figure out how to do things for yourself.

Do you need to be an expert? No, I have yet to find an expert, but I do know a lot of people who know how to do things.

Do I need to have expensive software? No, you should see the mazing things people have done with free 3D modellers such as Blender.

Do I have to make things for both Poser and Studio? N0, this is entirely up to you. You go down the path YOU want to do. You may work in just one or the other, or maybe both. The choice is yours.

And now for another Star Wars quote:-

Do. Or do not. There is no try. – Yoda – The Empire Strikes Back

Too many people don't start to make things for various reasons. These I call distraction excuses. The kids stop me, the dog ate my software, I don't have a computer good enough, the software I want is too expensive.

Okay, go on, which one of the above have you used? You may have used another version, but in the end, if you don't start, how will you learn?

Will you make mistakes? You bet you will, and you will learn from them, even if it's not to do that again! Lol.

But I don't know how to do things? Ask, and people will give you advice. People like me will point you to various tutorials, threads etc. In fact they may even do you a tutorial or start a thread like this one.

I can give you information on most things, and no, I'm not that mythical expert. I'm just an ordinary person who can put over things in a nice easy way. Yes, I have seen those supposed beginners tutorials that make out they are for total beginners, but you need to have been to higher education to understand. That's NOT my way.

My way is to help others in a way that they can learn at their own pace, explain things in terms that can be understood by most people and to be able to put that information into action.

There is only one thing I cannot give to others and that is.......

Imagination!!!

I can show you how to make, say a simple jacket top, but it is up to you to make it to what you want it to be. It could be a fantasy leather top, a Sci Fi version, modern day version etc.

I work in Poser, but.... I don't intend this thread just to be for Poser users. I want others to add their bits in here, whatever software you use, pass on your knowledge for others to learn by.

Knowledge is for everyone, not just a select few.

For now, I will leave you with this thought from The Matrix from Morpheus:-

I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

So, take that step and perhaps see what is on the other side of the door? Lol.

All the best.

Richard

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Good Post Richard, and I love the quotes. ;)

Are you going to be returning to the Stitch Witch tutorial? I'm sure folks are still interested.

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Yes, that will be in the new year. Mum having a knee replaced kind of knocked that one out for a bit.

All the best.

Richard

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
A little starter, well we have to start somewhere.

If a program has a trial version, download it and try it out. This is the only way you will find out if it will be of use to you. Now, I know you can't do this with Poser, but you can with Studio and many more programs.

Try them out and see what is best for YOU!

A lot of 3D content makers get asked, which is the best software to model in? Well....... they answer should be.... test all the trial ones and then choose for yourself.

Now, I'm not being rude about that. It is just that what works for one person does not work for another.

I have quite a few modellers, both free and paid for on my system, but the main ones I use are Silo 2 Professional, and ZBrush.

Both the ones I use are paid for versions and it was only after quite some time that I knew which ones were for me.

I'm not going into why I couldn't get into other packages, but Silo 2 Professional is like putting on a nice pair of worn slippers. Now, ZBrush was a different thing. This took me quite sometime to get used to, I couldn't do anything with it, drove me nuts for ages, and then..... One day, it just clicked and I've been using it since.

If I need anything knocking up quick, straight into Silo, then into ZBrush to add other bits and details that I can't get with Silo.

Yes, that's okay for you, but I don't have loads of money for these things I can hear you say. Well, I didn't start out with these things. I used to use various free packages until I got used to things. Most of the time 3D modellers are the same, it's just they have the same options on different menus and buttons. It's a matter of getting used to where things are in the program.

So, check out the web, find trial versions, test them out and when you find the one you are comfortable with, then get it and use it to your advantage.

At the moment, I haven't even started on the various utils etc that I use. I'm just enabling you to do things. If you just sit there waiting for the perfect modeller to appear, you know the one with the make art\content button that you just press and everything does it for you. Well... you will be waiting for a long time.

Time is a very precious thing, so don't waste it waiting around for something that does not exist.

All the best.

Richard

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
The next thing to learn is to use a certain word, a VERY powerful word that people don't use to the fullest effect. And that word is.......

No.

So, you want to learn to model, you will need time to practice and no doubt you will get pestered from time to time.

Can you fetch me this, the kids need feeding, the shopping needs doing, blah, blah, blah.

This is the time when you use the word........

Can you fetch...... No, sorry I have to practice now.

What? You can do that later.

No, I'm doing it now, I'm sure you can manage to make a sandwich or something for the next hour or so.

Sounds easy to do, but you will probably get guilt tripped into doing things when you want to get down to learning how to make a top, skirt or whatever.

Practice using the No word and you will soon become an expert at it.

In fact tell family, friends etc. You have set times when you are going to learn your new craft and you don't want to be interrupted during those times except for extreme emergencies.

Then........ learn to go deaf!!!!! Lol.

I know your doing that, but I can't open this jar.........

I said I can't open this jar.......

I'll go and get a take away instead....

See it worked!!!! Lol.

Unless you get down to doing some practising, you will never do anything.

It's like those people that say they are going to write a book, then they have to find the perfect computer, then the perfect word processor etc. It's just an excuse to actually not do any writing.

So, remember the No word, and put it to good use!!!

All the best.

Richard

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
So.... you have decided to have a go at making things, you have found the 3d modeller you are happy with and now.....

What do I do!!!!!!! Lol.

Normally at this point I would say, calm down and do something very simple. Like a little t shirt. It's something usable for yourself and other, if you want to put it out there as a freebie.

This is the way to go, start simple, and gradually add more and more to a project to make things more complicated.

Never start off wanting to make the next super space outfit with x amount of pieces, guns etc. I will tell you now, you will probably fail and not want to continue.

Do the t shirt, and use small steps to get more experience and gain confidence.

So, should you start from scratch or use what is known as a quick suit\dress mesh?

If your a complete beginner I would start with a FULL quick suit\dress mesh. By that I mean one that has both sides. Some content makers do a half suit and you have to use a mirror option to get the other side. Easy enough to do, but if you can find a full version, it will be a lot easier for you.

You can find some quick suits\ dress for older models here:-

Quick Suits

QuickDresses

You can even find one I did for Dusk here at HW3D:-

The 3D Artistry of Paganeagle2001

Or even Baby Luna?

Baby Luna Base Suit MR - Poser - ShareCG

Baby Luna Base Dress MR - Poser - ShareCG

How about one of each for Star?

Star Base Suit MR - Poser - ShareCG

Star Base Dress MR - Poser - ShareCG

So, there you are, just a few things I have made previously just for myself to use, but I released as freebies for others to use.

Please check the read me files before use, but my usual rule is...... You cannot use the meshes as they are, you have to modify them before you can call the item you produce as yours. Apart from that, you CAN use them for BOTH free and paid for products.

This is why I always say, check read me files BEFORE you use or buy things. Some will not not let you you their meshes for freebies, so if in doubt, read the read me file before buying, if you cannot, then send a PM off to the vendor to ask if you can use it for freebies etc. This way, you save lots of problems in the future.

All the best.

Richard

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Your welcome, I would have done a set for Dawn, but Lyrra already had one in the store and I don't do competing products.

All the best.

Richard

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Richard,

Thank you for those links! I've been trying to find one for Luna! I'm still playing about with your suit for Dusk, too. I ended up starting over on the shirt I had for him because it was just looking too much like paper to me. :)

Thanks again!

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
A quick one this time. When you do get to doing things and you want to show them off, then you will need some decent lights. Lighting can make or break a product and that includes freebies.

Those that take as much time over their freebies as they do on their paid for products are more likely to get my attention.

So, I can hear you say, what lights do YOU use Richard. Please remember I only work with Poser these days, those looking for Studio lights may need to wait for others to give links etc.

Well..... after years of searching and using various lights the ones I use 95% of the time for my promos are:-

RenderStudio P8-2014 Modular 8 - HDR-Lighting FX
RenderStudio P8-2014 Modular 9 - HDR-Lighting FX 2

I have started playing with this set as well:-

MildBoreal Lights Software fabiana

But..... you also need to think about when you need to check for errors etc. when you are doing testing for either yourself or for others.

In that case I would use this:-

V4 MAKE IT EASY 2D Mint3D

Yes, I know it's a MR Skin for V4, but it also has camera options for checking seams, and a nice set of checking lights. These give a all around light, so you can rotate your figure and still have the same light at the back as you do at the front.

As you can see, I tend to get good results with my HDR-FX lights, and all I do is just use the higher settings that they give in the PDF that comes with them. I do little to no postwork after I do things as well.

Find a set of lights that work for you and they will take away most of hte hard work of getting good renders.

All the best.

Richard

Baby Luna Head Morphs 01.jpg

Dawn SE Promo 01.jpg

Tomb Raider Pixie 01.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I just picked up the HDR sets. I've always liked the lighting results you get in your renders. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh yeah! You are so right...I really want that moth and the leaf jewelry also. They are sitting in my trolley waiting for money.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm hoping that later today...but it depends how much I have left once I pay off the credit card.

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Okay time to show a little pic.

Remember that I said about starting small, using the right lights in promos etc.

Well, this is a very simple bustier for Dawn. I knocked this out in about 2 minutes from a base suit I have made. Sorry, but I won;t be releasing that suit as Lyrra made a dev suit and I won't do competing dev suits etc. If there wasn't one I would have released it.

Yes, it is basic. It is meant to be that way. You have to start to walk before you can run.

I fell very lucky with the UVing, as this is one thing I HATE!!!! Lol.

Now, I can add more material zones, add morphs etc. as this is just a starter.

In fact, I normally give these versions a DNE at the end of the file name as a warning:- Do Not Erase.

Example:- Dawn Bustier 000 DNE

That is three zeros, not the letter o.

So, if I change something, such as adding material zones, I would change it to Dawn Bustier 001. Notice that the DNE is not included as this now starting to be a actual product, not just the base.

You may also notice that the lights I use look like promo lights? Yes they are, in fact I take as much pride in WIP's as I do with full product promos. Even my freebies look good. Why do it, when I could get away with less impressive results? Easy, I want to be the best I can and if something looks wrong then it needs to be changed.

So, just a little one to start off the new year, but it is a start!!! Lol.

All the best.

Richard

Bustier Promo 001.jpg

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
Back with a little bit more from the above.

It used to bother me about getting things to line up along the seams of clothing, and it took me a long time to get over it.

If you look at most clothing with a pattern, some line up, some don't, so it's also that way with 3d versions. As long as there is no bad stretching, then as far as I'm concerned it's okay!!! Lol.

The cheat I used to do was do a material zone that went down the seams and I would change it to a simple colour, a bit like a stripe down the side of running shorts etc.

All the best.

Richard

paganeagle2001

Adventurous
"You must unlearn what you have learned" - Yoda

This is a very powerful thing to put into action. Sometimes what you thought was the right way of doing something can be done by an easier process.

When I used to teach I used to tell students, I will show you the way I do things, please do it this way, but...... if you know of a better or quicker way of doing it, let me know and I will use it.

I hate wasting time, I don't need to spend hours doing something if someone can show me how to do it in a lot less time. Then I can spend that time doing other things. Lol.

When I started out, it used to take me ages to do texture sets for clothing, this was in the really old days of Poser 5 when we hardly had any of the nice toys that we have now.

Now.... I can use MATWriter Panel and Thumbnail Designer and I can knock them out very quickly. That's why I can have hundreds of options for various things I have done. If I make a clothing item with X amount of material zones then I will do a full colour version and then mix and match options for each material zone:-

Example:- Dress with sleeves and belt

Material zones, sleeves, sleeve cuffs, collar, chest, belt, clasp, rings, skirt, skirt trim

That's 10 material zones. So, I would do a single colour for all the dress sections and the belt section. Then I would do just the same colours for the sleeves, the cuffs etc.

So, if I did 5 main colours to start with that would be 5 full dress versions with a single belt set of materials.

These would go in a folder I would call:-

000 Full Colours

Then I would do the same colours but only save the parts I needed, such as sleeves.

These would go in:-

001 Sleeves Only

Then repeat for cuffs etc.

This way I can mix an match a range of materials.

I could have a dress with.....

Red sleeves, yellow cuffs, red collar, yellow chest, black belt, silver clasp, gold rings, red skirt, yellow skirt trim.

Once you start doing things this way, you start ending up with loads of thumbnails and materials to save. Lol.

That's why, when I find something that can help users then I let them know about it.

I have had MATWriter Panel and Thumbnail Designer since they came out and I would NEVER be without them as they are essential for me in making things for others.

Those that want to use my toys can find them at:-

MATWriter Panel 2014 - Full

Thumbnail Designer

Yes, unless they are in a sale they cost a bit, but....... the time saved soon pays for itself.

I don't know if there is anything like these for Studio as I keep say, I only work in Poser, but if anyone knows, then please post and make Studio users happy.

As an example to show what you can do:-

Dawn Basics 01 - Poser - ShareCG

That's just the Dawn Resource suit and yes, it does say over 300 options.

All the best.

Richard

Miss B

CV-BEE
The cheat I used to do was do a material zone that went down the seams and I would change it to a simple colour, a bit like a stripe down the side of running shorts etc.
Yes, I can see a solid black area where the side seams are working well for a texture such as the one you used in this example.

I know I've been frustrated trying to match seams with textures like plaids, and now I usually just stay away from them. ;)