• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Metallic textures for 3DL?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
You wouldn't be giving anything away by answering my question. I just wondered if you were using shader mixer or builder or basing your technique on an already available shader and if so is it one that is free with DS or a purchasable one. I'm not trying to steal your ideas I already know how to do what you are doing in both 3dl and Iray, I was simply just curious.

Lianam

Eager
But then again, I know that there are a lot of other people out there in the same boat as I am. I would imagine that many of them are disappointed to see fewer and fewer products being produced for 3DL while they see so many cool new products being produced for iRay only, which they can't use because of the hardware demands. So, in the long run, I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as there is still a demand for the products I create. ;)

There is a thread about the supposed abandonment of 3DL for Iray at Daz by PAs, not necessarily DAZ that I have been reading. All Daz original 'products' still need to include 3DL presets/textures or whatever. I still trying to grasp all of that. Many are saying it is easier to convert 3DL 'stuff' to iray than it is to go backwards. Others mentioned for animations that 3DL was faster. I have no idea animations are not even on my learn to do list at this point. :)

I still use 3DL, because I did have an older pc that finally died (2008 with 512 gb graphics card, 2GB of memory on a duo core pentium. My graphics card blew up, my 650 watt power supply bit the dust, and I could no longer upgrade any of it.), so I had to build to even have a pc. Iray is still stinking slow for me. I have only 16gb of ram on a Pentium i5 and 4GB on an $80 Nvidia card I bought back about February and all I do is stills. I do more landscape type scenes.

I wished I knew more liked I mentioned about the renderers, shaders, etc it makes it hard for people to wrap their minds around it all, especially the more newbie hobby type people.

You have found yourself having the need and are doing it. I would also think there would be others. Who knows on how many though? If you are doing it for yourself and would share/sell your finished items for others. The first question would be how much do you really want to make on it? Enough to recoup sometime spent doing it, maybe offset other expenses you might have in buying equipment, etc. I have other thoughts, but will leave it for now. :)

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
You wouldn't be giving anything away by answering my question. I just wondered if you were using shader mixer or builder or basing your technique on an already available shader and if so is it one that is free with DS or a purchasable one. I'm not trying to steal your ideas I already know how to do what you are doing in both 3dl and Iray, I was simply just curious.
I could've sworn I replied to this post days ago, but it isn't there so...

I wasn't accusing you, I was speaking generally.

I'm using one of the included shader presets.

If you are doing it for yourself and would share/sell your finished items for others. The first question would be how much do you really want to make on it? Enough to recoup sometime spent doing it, maybe offset other expenses you might have in buying equipment, etc. I have other thoughts, but will leave it for now. :)
I'm hoping to compensate for my time and, hopefully, have enough so that I can upgrade my hardware. But, I have no idea what to expect. I don't know the market.

Before I work on this fabric idea though, I need to finish my glass block bathroom and the associated products. Even that won't really give me an idea of what to expect money-wise because the popularity of an interior scene and a clothing product are probably different.