• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Metallic textures for 3DL?

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I have not actively used Daz Studio for several years so I'm not current on what vendors have created.

I have discovered a way to create textures that combine metallic and non-metallic materials. I'm taking about true reflective metallic silver and gold with different non-metallic backgrounds. I've seen plenty of iRay sharers out there that seem to do this, but I'm not sure if anyone else has found a way to do this with 3DL.

I'm thinking about creating textures for existing clothing products using my technique but wondered if I was reinventing the wheel here.

I'm posting this using my tablet so I don't have access to images to show what I mean, but will post some later when I'm back on my computer.

But, just give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a photo of a sample fabric that is like what I mean.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Here's a render with gold on a matte green background.

This render has gold on the tissue boxes, gold on white plastic on the mouthwash, and both gold and silver on the soap pump and other accessories. The accessories are on a reflective porcelain material, which has a different reflective percentage than the metallic parts.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I guess no one knows the answer to my question about whether or not anyone has created a material with reflecting gold or silver.

How about if anyone has created a material with a mirror pattern on it?

I used the same principle I used for the silver and gold above, but I emulated the settings you'd use for a mirror in Daz Studio.

This first image is of renders of the test dress in three different color environments, so that you can see the differences in the reflections the dress is picking up.

This image is the same three renders, but with the background cut out so that the differences in the reflections are more apparent.

So, has anyone seen such a material before?

Lianam

Eager
I guess I could say from what i have seen at Daz, not looking overly close if it was Iray or 3DL. I would say from what you have shared here it all looks pretty cool and others might appreciate it. What you have and Glitterati3D shared look different. I do not really get shaders yet, so...:)

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Thanks for that link Glitterati3D. I checked it out and as Lianam guessed, I'd have to say that what I'm doing is quite different from Fisty's shaders.

Those shaders all seem to be single color materials - where the background color is the same as the sparkly parts. Also, there doesn't seem to be true reflections used - just glossy settings.

With the way I'm doing things the background can be any color and any material type (I think, need to experiment) - from a matte like in my test, to a shiny satin. Like the porcelain accessories above - although I don't know if a porcelain fabric would be realistic. ;)

I got to thinking about other possibilities and decided to try adding a bump map so the various star mirrors in the pattern would tilt at different angles, like sequins do. Then I wondered what it would look like if I added color to the mirrors. Then I wondered if I could make the stars glass "beads".

I did a short, 40-frame animation for the 3 different variations (all have the bump), looped each several times, and looped each in slow motion too.

Here's how it turned out. At first I thought that the lower layers of the red glass version didn't have the red glass, but then I realized since they were transparent, it was just the dark background showing through. Hmm... maybe I need to try it with a lighter background.

I think I just may be on to something new... :cool:

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I _think_ I've seen some before, but it's hard for me to say since I don't use 3Delight. There was gorgeous set of velvets with the option of metallic brocade from ages ago, IIRC. In general, the notion isn't very complex (metal is mostly just colored reflection, and we've had specular maps for many years now), and I've done it a fair amount myself in my Poser products, so I'd be very surprised if DS users haven't had the benefit of such shaders before. But I could totally be wrong.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I've been having fun with this. :D

I created a new bump that makes the star "beads" much more 3D. I then added a silver material to V4's torso so that the beads would really brighten.

It turned out looking rather like a sequined dress once I increased the tiling.

Then I got to playing with colors.

I need to do a lot more playing around to see how far I can push my new technique, but I have to get back to my glass block bathroom product. I want to make one more texture set before I submit it to HiveWire. That'll probably take at least another week or so.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Thanks Lorraine and Pendraia! :)

I _think_ I've seen some before, but it's hard for me to say since I don't use 3Delight. There was gorgeous set of velvets with the option of metallic brocade from ages ago, IIRC. .

Is this the brocades and velvets you are talking about?
Ye Olde Clothe Bundle | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

In general, the notion isn't very complex (metal is mostly just colored reflection, and we've had specular maps for many years now), and I've done it a fair amount myself in my Poser products, so I'd be very surprised if DS users haven't had the benefit of such shaders before. But I could totally be wrong.

I realize that metal shaders have been around forever, but what I'm talking about is different because I'm talking about a material that has multiple types of material in one. For instance, in the above dress I've combined a matte black fabric with the mirror-like reflecting stars, and further above, the porcelain with silver and gold, the matte green cans with gold, the white plastic with gold labels. etc. The metallic gold and silver are true reflective metals, not just imitation gold in the diffuse texture, as I've seen lots of places.

I'm experimenting now to see if I can combine velvet with metallic patterns on it. I also can envision possibly creating fabric with encrusted jewels. That's what the "beaded" or "sequin" dress in several colors above is, although I've increased the tiling to such a degree that you can no longer see the black fabric any more, but it's the same as the dress with the stars, except the stars are transparent "jewels" rather than mirrors.

I believe that my method might be able to produce textures with as many mixed materials as you like - although that would be very complicated. As it is, I have to pay careful attention as I'm creating just the two- and three-material combinations above.

I'm also using this method for the texture set for my glass block bathroom that I'm currently working on to create a mirror with a brushed nickel frame with mirror detailing on it. I may also try to change the regular marble I'm using to have flecks of either silver, gold, or mica - which will be truly reflective, not just specks of white on the diffuse map to imitate sparkling.

I'll post renders as I figure things out, or admit defeat if I realize I'm over-reaching myself and can't achieve the combinations I'm hoping for. ;)

Last edited:

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I don't remember seeing anything exactly like that before Beth...
Before I started this thread, I tried searching for anything similar on three websites but didn't find anything. But I though I should ask because there are just SOOOooooo many products out there!

I decided to put off trying to combine velvet with metallic because I discovered I didn't have a CLUE how to make velvet - even by itself! :rolleyes: I also needed to get back to finishing my products.

So I used my method to create a mirror that has a brushed nickel frame with mirror filigree. Then I decided it might look better with gold filigree instead, so I figured out how to do that.

This meant that I had to combine three very different materials on one map since the mirror was a single rectangular facet, but I managed to do it. These are the two new textures I'm working on for my glass block bathroom. The mirror will be in the gray texture set, but I though it looked good with the other texture too.

Now I'm trying to decide if I like the frame part better flat or a bit 3D and with the mirror having a beveled edge. There's a bit of a mistake I need to fix in the trans map leaving a few lines around the edges.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Is this the brocades and velvets you are talking about?
Ye Olde Clothe Bundle | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D
Nope. What I'm talking about had gold and silver brocade (could be any color, I think) mixed with what I'd consider a much better velvet. And it was much, much older.

Probably these (see the velvet with gold and silver in the previews):
Sparkles for Studio
But these seem even better at brocades and metal:
AElflaed's Fancy - Shaders for DS and Poser

Here's a set by HandspanStudios with sequins
HSS Fabric Shaders 1-Glamour

Here's one by DestinysGarden for Iray (I don't think the others are). I'm not absolutely positive that it mixes materials, but it seems to.
DG Iray Bling It! Shaders

And here's Mec4D bringing the typical game style materials to Iray, with lots of metal/paint mixes.
Mec4d PBS Shaders vol.1 for Iray

Generally speaking, this is what the "Metallic" slot in UberSurface is supposed to do. It's there precisely because it's common to mix metal with other types of materials. IMHO, what's trickier is turning that other material into something with complex shading like velvet (because of the volumetric and non-uniform aspects) or satin (blurred anisotropic and _colored_ reflections that follow the weave).

That said, it really doesn't matter what's tricky. It matters whether your shaders look cool and make it easy for people to make their stuff look cool. And your work seems to fit the bill. And I only say seems because I'm just _so_ not a DS user, and avoided making DS content for years because I couldn't figure out what looked cool to DS users. _I_ think these shaders would be popular and know they'd do fine in general. But each software community has a bit of its own aesthetic, so I don't feel like I can speak with certainty about the approval of the DS community.

I realize that metal shaders have been around forever, but what I'm talking about is different because I'm talking about a material that has multiple types of material in one. For instance, in the above dress I've combined a matte black fabric with the mirror-like reflecting stars, and further above, the porcelain with silver and gold, the matte green cans with gold, the white plastic with gold labels. etc. The metallic gold and silver are true reflective metals, not just imitation gold in the diffuse texture, as I've seen lots of places.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Layered materials have been around a long time, and mixes with "metals" have, too. Metal is just colored reflection. Bagginsbill made his free sequin shader for what, Poser 6? I'm pretty sure no later than P7. I've done this with my own materials for many, many years now. There's tons of layered Poser materials out there, and I sell a set of layered materials you can customize yourself.

My Essential Materials 2 set has been done in terms of production for years now. I just haven't put it out because there are 48 materials that all need documentation, including 6 demo renders a piece. I basically stopped production on the documentation so I could work on other things. I might come back to it soon. It's been _invaluable_ to me in terms of making things for myself. Here are the current materials that are either metal mixes _or_ can be used to make metal mixes:
  • Reflective Satin - Lets you set the color of the reflection, to allow for metallic elements
  • Satin & Sequins - The sequins use my own tiling mask, but can be replaced with anything you want, mixing metal of any color with satin of any color in the pattern of your choosing
  • Old Metal - mix of metal, patina, and scratches
  • Corroded metal - mix of metal, discoloration, and rust
  • Chain Mail- mix of metal and old leather, both being customized and masked.
  • Car Paint - has tiny metallic flakes
  • Metal, Paint, & Grunge - what it says on the tin
And I have bunch of other mixed materials like "Dirt" (plain SSS mixed with dirt, for skin or stone with dirt on it), "Mud" (reflective SSS mixed with mud, for wet skin or stone mixed with mud or some other shiny substance), and "Techno Cloth" (patterned cloth mixed with plastic with glowing designs, so 4 different materials).

In short, I'm very familiar with layered materials. ;)

I'm experimenting now to see if I can combine velvet with metallic patterns on it. I also can envision possibly creating fabric with encrusted jewels. That's what the "beaded" or "sequin" dress in several colors above is, although I've increased the tiling to such a degree that you can no longer see the black fabric any more, but it's the same as the dress with the stars, except the stars are transparent "jewels" rather than mirrors.

I believe that my method might be able to produce textures with as many mixed materials as you like - although that would be very complicated. As it is, I have to pay careful attention as I'm creating just the two- and three-material combinations above.

I'm also using this method for the texture set for my glass block bathroom that I'm currently working on to create a mirror with a brushed nickel frame with mirror detailing on it. I may also try to change the regular marble I'm using to have flecks of either silver, gold, or mica - which will be truly reflective, not just specks of white on the diffuse map to imitate sparkling.

I'll post renders as I figure things out, or admit defeat if I realize I'm over-reaching myself and can't achieve the combinations I'm hoping for. ;)

Sounds like you have a lot of really useful ideas. I bet you'll have tons of fun playing with them. I think it might help you to understand a few different things, if you aren't aware of them already.

So DS has two popular ways to mix materials already. One is LIE, and I know jack about it, beyond the fact that people say it does what I like to do, which is mix whole materials. That is to say, you mix metal and cloth or whatever as a whole metal shader and a whole cloth shader using a single mask. The other is the same one that pretty much the entire industry is moving to, and why people are so excited over Quixel and Substance Painter. You depend on those tools to do the mixing for you. You depend on them to make the maps you need, and the maps control properties that give you different shader types. So instead of making a velvet material and a metal material and mixing them, you have one material where the reflective properties of one area fits metal and the other fits velvet, the diffuse properties of one area fits metal and the other fits velvet, etc. You take those maps and stick them into slots of an Uber Base shader (or a PhysicalSurface shader), and there you go.

I have been mixing materials with nodes for years, so I like to do it the way you seem to be talking about: by mixing types of shaders based on a single mask per material type. And both Poser and DS have tools to support this. But the other way, painting textures with special software and depending on multiple maps/masks, is by far the more popular. It's also becoming the standard throughout the 3D world. SubstancePainter and SubstanceDesigner are becoming _the_ way you texture. That's one of the big reasons the "PhysicalSurface" node exists in Poser and the Iray UberBase is the way it is. So it's easier to take those Quixel or Allegorithmic Software generated maps and stick them into slots in the base shader.

This approach lets people pretty much not think about shading and how it works, just generate maps, and stick them in appropriate slots. Which, as you might expect, means that it's _very_ popular.

Me, I don't like to be dependent on one software provider. Quixel, Marmoset, and others work closely with Allegorithmic, who are the only people making the basic materials people mix with those textures, who are the only people who have the lab where they're standardizing the PBRs and their responses, and who are quickly gaining a monopoly on texture painting in CG. And decreasing the general understanding of what materials are. More and more, people are considered "material masters" who only know how to use the maps generated by the software, without understanding what those maps are doing or why they work. Given that trend, I'm holding onto my knowledge and my software independence, while continuing to read and explore what people are doing with PBRs.

But that's at the cost of not entirely going along with the standard. It's harder to forge one's own path. Especially when you decide to keep pursuing knowledge everyone else is leaving to a single company.

I think what you're doing is cool and wonderful. It sounds like it will advance knowledge within the DS community. I just think you should proceed understanding that there's already a very well traveled path regarding mixed materials in DS. Whether you try to widen that path or forge your own is entirely up to you.

Last edited:

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
* Imagine image of a person passing their hand over their heads while making a swooshing noise *

You talked about a lot of things that I haven't a clue about! :confused:

I certainly can't compare what I'm doing to software that I don't have. I'm not saying that what I'm doing hasn't been done before in Poser or other 3D software, I'm just talking about Daz Studio. And I'm not saying that it hasn't been done with iRay, but I'm not using iRay - I'm using 3Delight. And it's difficult to figure out if what others have done with 3Delight is similar to what I'm doing without buying the products, but from what I see on the product pages, I still think what I'm doing is different than any of the items you listed.

I'm sticking with DS because it's free. I actually started in 3D with Poser 4 but stopped using it years ago because of the constant cost of keeping up with the many upgrades. That's also why I'm still using Photoshop CS3, MS Word 2007, etc. I just cannot afford to keep up with all the latest and greatest software out there. Nor can I afford to keep buying the newest computers. The last computer I bought was a Dell Precision M4400 laptop in 2009. I also have a Dell Inspiron 580 that my brother gave me when he upgraded. Even though that computer is twice as fast as my laptop, it's still a lot slower than current computers. Having a slower computer is another reason why I'm sticking to 3Delight because neither computer is fast enough to use iRay. As it is, I'm often frustrated with the render times using 3Delight because using transparency, reflection, refraction, etc. really slow things down. I recently tied up the Inspiron for over 7 1/2 days rendering a 1200-frame animation that I'll be using for my glass block bathroom product. So I had to continue developing the extra texture sets for it on the even slower Precision laptop. SOoooo frustrating!

But then again, I know that there are a lot of other people out there in the same boat as I am. I would imagine that many of them are disappointed to see fewer and fewer products being produced for 3DL while they see so many cool new products being produced for iRay only, which they can't use because of the hardware demands. So, in the long run, I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as there is still a demand for the products I create. ;)

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Actually I have a pretty old and slow computer and in some ways I find Iray faster than 3dlight let alone the better renders that come from it. I realise that for animation this may not be the case but for stills it can be.
There is still a few using 3dlight so there is some demand for it. Personally it's unlikely that I would buy something optimised for 3dl.
As others have pointed out there are shaders presets out there that do metallic on top of fabric without seeing your set up its difficult to tell if what you are doing is different. Are you actually producing a shader or a preset for one of the already available shaders, and if so which shader are you basing the preset on?

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
In short, I'm very familiar with layered materials.
I forgot to say that I don't know what layered materials are, so I can't say whether or not I'm using them. ;)

I'm not using any special software, just Photoshop. I did get Filter Forge a few days ago (couldn't pass up the 80% off!), but it has nothing to do with what I'm doing. But I now realize that some vendor resources I bought HAD to have been made with it. Now I can make my own. :)

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Are you actually producing a shader or a preset for one of the already available shaders, and if so which shader are you basing the preset on?
I hope you understand that I'm hesitant to post details on exactly how I'm doing, what I'm doing. I'd like to be able to get out at least ONE product before others begin copying my technique. ;)

I learned this lesson from the very first 3D product I sold. It was so long ago that I think Daz was still called Zygote. I created a set of morphs for the Michael's WedgeCut hair product. It sold very well because back in those days there were few available hair products and they were static hair styles, without morphs. Then Daz came out with the product Wedge Cut 2.0. It was a set of morphs for the original WedgeCut. Oh, wow, déjà vu.

It wasn't long after that that Daz removed my product from their website. Daz's copycat 2.0 product is still out there for sale. If my idea hadn't been hijacked, who knows how much money I could have made over the years.

It's not that I think this method this is all that - I'm still not certain that it's even new - I just know that once a new idea is either posted on a forum or comes out as a product, others are sure to start copying it. I've seen it happen to others too.

So, for now, I think I'll perpetuate the mystery. ;)

Last edited: