• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Mesh extract in Zbrush

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, Dawn has a Dev Rig, and I'm sure folks probably use that for making clothing, rather than Dawn herself.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Dev Rig for Dusk, that I know of.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
IIRC I think a good many outfits for Dawn and Dusk are direct derivatives of the base mesh. I think as long as you don't have the meshes exact poly flow it's OK. I mean it is for the base your making the clothing for. I've always created from scratch in ZBrush but I do know a few published artists that make meshes from the bases they are meant to be worn by.

The ironic side is that the closest your mesh topology is to the original, the better the conforming and posing with be. ;p
I have been discussing with this via email with Chris and he probably would accept it in cases where it is sold through the hive store. I would like to quote one of his sentences which would make this clearer but I don't feel that it's fair to post something he said privately without his permission first.
I can only recommend if using this for Dawn check first and discuss it with the Hive to be on the safe side.

I personally will probably use it mainly for adding details to my own meshes.

@Miss B, the dev rig is for poser as the rigging is Poser weight mapped but I believe it can be used a starting point for commercial items also.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh that would be fabulous if we could begin a mesh extraction. Although, once you have your own base, it's a piece of cake from there. Generally.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
If you use ZBrush's Zremesher tool it would be impossible to pinpoint an extraction anyways. Just saying. Like Satira stated though, once you have your own home grown mesh (which I created mine from ZSpheres) your good to go but like Ken stated, the closer the poly flow, esp around areas like underarms and crotch, you have a better chance of good bends and less pokethrough issues and one issue that I see in a few published artists, including mine in the beginning (thanks to Paul for helping get it ironed out) is the bulging out, under the crotch, of the mesh when the legs are split. Quite unsightly, like they took a poop in their breaches! lol

Karth

Eager
Contributing Artist
Here is my first way through Zbrush.
When i remember right...some things i start over and over again*g*
The workflow and saving out things Need a bit time i think.

1. Create a base from Mesh Export.
2. Polymesh with topology
3. Subdivision and add bigger Folds
4. Uv Mapping in Zbrush
5. More Subdivison to do the small Breast Folds.
6. Baking Normal Map

Ready for doing textures .

Mesh with Normal Map in.
ZbrushWip.png

Im happy so far. Over the last years i tried always to understand that workflow and it always sucks.
I start this time with a Zbrush tutorial from Sixus1 and it was a great help.
I also found a german tutorial about the use of brushes that was very helpful too.

Happy ZBrushing :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've noticed that ZRemesher can at times give great results but other times it's not always good.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
ZRemesher takes some trial and error to get right. The problem is when it twists the edge loops on holes and outer edges. It tends to do that even when using topology guide lines. The line strength slider only works at 100%, so there isn't much space for maneuver. It also tends to create poles at critical places that cause both posing and morphing issues. When it comes to adding more geometry to places that need it, the adaptive slider is rather difficult to control. It never seems to add geometry at the places I want to preserve details. I wish there was a way to "paint" regions instead of letting adaptive mode to spread poly count across the entire mesh. Besides that, it does a wonderful job. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Pretty much what I was thinking ken...I find using ZModeler to add additional polys gives me more control.

Karth

Eager
Contributing Artist
Hi Ken,
the mesh has 12ooo polys as Low Mesh. A bit too much*g*
But works fine.
I tried the Zremesher too..it looks not so bad.
Maybe it could be a good way to do a mix ...first remesher and then fix parts .
I´m not sure, i guess i read something about masking and higher poly Count.
But could be that it was for another tool inside zbrush.
I have so much to learn that it will need a long time, until i have the perfect workflow for me.
As example i made all borders in another application.
And the Mesh after Mesh Extract was a bit far from the Body.
Have to figure that out.
When adding folds i have to Morph all a bit closer.
But after all im satisfied with my first mesh.
I love that Software :)
And wait for the update with german language in...maybe that will be a bit easier to understand everything when learning.

Question :
Is there a way to set the whole mesh closer to reference in one step without changing the polys ?

Karth

Eager
Contributing Artist
I have the topology mesh.
Over reference figure.
Morph Cloth here and there and then i want to set it clother to reference
So that the nearest Points are very Close to reference.
When i use as example a flatten brush it will not be the same.
A Morphbrush is also not so fine ...sometimes it break the folds.
Ah..don´t know how explain that in english.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh, let me see if it I got it right - you want to make the clothing get closer to the base figure? The best, or at least the easiest way to do this is by using the Morphing Tool in Poser, which is the only I know of that has a morphing brush that understands the underlying base figure (reference mesh) and how conforming clothing works. 3DSMAX has a conforming brush, but it doesn't understand Poser/DS body groups. ZBrush doesn't have a conforming brush.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I love the topological brush, but is there a way to correct or edit a mistake after drawing them?