• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Material Room Question...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is there ANY way at ALL, to make Poser STOP loading the material room with a stupidly large amount of empty sideways SCROLL space on EVERY blinkin' material zone? Any way at all?

This is driving me BONKERS. I have to side-scroll for ages for EVERY material zone I switch between, and it's driving me NUTS! I don't remember any version of Poser doing this until Pro2010. It's just driving me up the wall and ticking me off while I'm trying to work. There's no reason for it; all of my texture maps/nodes are right there next to the main PoserSurface palette. I don't have any extra nodes all the way to the boondocks on the side, or up or below the main PoserSurface, yet EVERY TIME that I switch from one mat zone to another, it throws me waaaaaaaaaaaay out to the side, with this huge scrollbar at the bottom, and sometimes I end up with a large scroll vertically as well, above/below the PoserSurface palette.

How the heck do I STOP it from doing this!! :roflmao:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
If you mean what I think you mean . . . the attached palettes are off the screen to the right so you have to scroll and drag them all the way to the left so they're near the main PoserSurface palette . . . no, you have to grin (yeah right) and bear it.

I don't think Poser necessarily does that by default. I think some folks do that while creating their material setups, add and deleting some, and never move the final setup back to the left and it gets saved that way.

I know that I've played with retexuring, or just tweaking existing textures, and if I save it 2 or 3 times, they stay near the main PoserSurface palette.

I've also seen folks who have a dozen or more minimized palettes one on top of the other, and I have to move them so I see what's what, which I find annoying too, but at least it looks neat initially.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
You do know you can set a display for each room separate from others?

For instance, when you are in the material room, you have absolutely no use for the Parameters panel. Close it while in the material room and tell Poser to remember your settings in General Preferences.

Also, scroll the Display screen down........you don't need a large display screen while in the material room. Squeeze it down a bit and give the material room more space on your screen and you will stop the scroll bar.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You can undock it to have it floating that way you can make it larger..

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sorry, no help. Perhaps try using the Air library undocked will help?

At the moment, I'm back inside of P10. It won't let you undock the library at all. They killed that in this version.

You do know you can set a display for each room separate from others?

For instance, when you are in the material room, you have absolutely no use for the Parameters panel. Close it while in the material room and tell Poser to remember your settings in General Preferences.

Also, scroll the Display screen down........you don't need a large display screen while in the material room. Squeeze it down a bit and give the material room more space on your screen and you will stop the scroll bar.

I know how to customize the layout of the material room's UI, yes. This is what my UI looks like in the materials room :

upload_2016-2-24_0-50-12.png

The only things I have open in there, are things I use. That's not the issue I'm talking about.

THIS is the issue I'm talking about :

upload_2016-2-24_0-52-1.png

ALL of my texture maps/nodes are seated ALL the way to the left. They are situated right next to the PoserSurface main palette. The above is what happens EVERY time I change from one material zone to another, and it's really infuriating me for some reason. >.< LOL

THAT is what I'm trying to find out if there's any way to make it stop doing.

If you mean what I think you mean . . . the attached palettes are off the screen to the right so you have to scroll and drag them all the way to the left so they're near the main PoserSurface palette . . . no, you have to grin (yeah right) and bear it.

No, my attached palettes are neatly spaced, but to the far left, next to the PoserSurface main palette. But every single time I change from one material zone to another, the previous image up above is what I'm greeted with. It's particularly infuriating because it takes me three or four mouse drags to get the dang thing back over to where I can work with the nodes and palettes.

This is how my attached palettes are set up :

upload_2016-2-24_0-56-24.png

The palettes don't move. But the dang thing insists on loading scrolled way out to the right as if there were some over there. That's all.

I was just hoping there was some way to stop it from doing this. No amount of saves or reloads, etc, changes this behavior and it's really irritating the crap out of me, especially when coupled with the fact that Poser does not support the ability to select multiple material zones at one time to work with. LOL

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Mmmm it usually only goes over there if a node has been placed there...are you sure there is nothing there to make it do that...
And the little square at the top is what you click on then go down to floating...
undock.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Mmmm it usually only goes over there if a node has been placed there...are you sure there is nothing there to make it do that...
And the little square at the top is what you click on then go down to floating...
View attachment 4392

Oh, that part of the interface? Yuck. No, I need that left docked. I can't stand having it float. I tried that out also. lol

As far as the palettes... yes, I am very, very sure. I have scrolled back and forth a million times. Nothing else is there. The only palettes I have are the ones next to the PoserSurface main palette. :)

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Very weird...mine only does that if there is something hidden there...did you scroll along then down and look..

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's okay, Sanbie. :) I was mainly curious is all. And let's be honest, I feel like a fish out of water in this software anymore, so maybe it's just irritating me because I feel smothered in the UI... the entire UI, not just the material room. It could just be me being a cranky she-wolf. ;)

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I understand the frustration at that...because that's how I feel in DS....Tell me did you get the beard to work or are you still working on it?

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I understand the frustration at that...because that's how I feel in DS....Tell me did you get the beard to work or are you still working on it?

Still working on it. Fighting with the displacement mapping yet... also been up and down AFK quite a bit as well, so it's going a bit slowly tonight.

bagginsbill

Inspired
I wonder if your nodes are at a massively negative coordinate. The material editor will permit nodes to be way left of the 0-position, but it doesn't like to start there and it ends up showing you a normal page with 0,0 in the upper left corner, but your stuff is way left of that.
This would mean that it happens only to people trying to look at such materials. I am generally not experiencing what you're seeing. I am, however, seeing recently added nodes jump to a new place on their own, and working inside a compound node is extremely wonky.

bagginsbill

Inspired
If you were to look inside the .mt5 file maybe you can have a look at the coordinates. For example, for one of my materials, the poser surface position is 16, 16 and opens just fine. Here's an example:

node "poser" "PoserSurface"
{
name "PoserSurface"
pos 16 16

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hello! :)

Thanks, but uhm. I don't actually have a .mt5 or .mc6 saved for this yet. The materials in question up above are an in-progress skin setup for Nataani... I had saved the .pz3 scene file, closed and re-opened Poser, and then loaded the .pz3 in the hopes that maybe a fresh reload of the program would clear that out.

So, there's no actual .mt5 or .mc6 file saved yet. Should I make one at least temporarily and check it?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
At the moment, I'm back inside of P10. It won't let you undock the library at all. They killed that in this version.

No, they didn't. Air works just fine undocked in P10.

The material room is doing this simply because it doesn't have enough room to display everything on the screen size you are using.

On my laptop I only use the undocked Air library because of this issue - the screen just isn't big enough to put everything on ONE screen. Using the undocked Air library gives me more screen space in the rooms where I need it (like the material room).

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
No, they didn't. Air works just fine undocked in P10.

Yes; Sanbie corrected me on that one. Thanks. :)

The material room is doing this simply because it doesn't have enough room to display everything on the screen size you are using.

Except that the only palettes I have loaded for Dusk are all tucked up nicely near the PoserSurface main palette, and it does not do this on every item. It does it on some things, but not all.... and I did un-dock it and let it float when Sanbie posted her screenshot up above, and the same issue still happened even with that whole library floating and out of the way.

This is what I am looking at when I switch to a new material zone with the library floating, NOT docked :

upload_2016-2-24_7-14-18.png

It still loads the new material zone leaving me to scroll like crazy back to the left in order to work with the settings, even with the library undocked and floating.

These are the only palettes I have applied on the material zone. I have scrolled slowly from right to left, etc, to make sure I don't have any unconnected palettes.

upload_2016-2-24_7-16-43.png

If you were to look inside the .mt5 file maybe you can have a look at the coordinates. For example, for one of my materials, the poser surface position is 16, 16 and opens just fine. Here's an example:

{
name "PoserSurface"
pos 16 16

Looks like you're right... I'm not sure how I have negative values; there is nothing to the left side of the PoserSurface palette, but yeah, it does look like it's setting itself on negative values. I made a temporary .mt5 of one of the material zones so I could pull up the coding, and this is what I have in that mt5 :

{
name "PoserSurface"
pos -795 -34

Soooo..... it does look like somehow it's gotten set off to a negative position. If I change the negative values to "0", then of course the .mt5 loads and stuffs all the palettes underneath the PoserSurface node... LOL :

upload_2016-2-24_7-32-3.png

Do I need to make separate .mt5's for every single material zone on Dusk and edit their position numbers just to get the silly things to load properly when I switch between them? I have no idea how this happened, honestly. It just kind of.. did.