• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Malamute fur

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
I'm working on a story where I need a totally white malamute using the Millennium Dog. Does anyone know of any textures that would work?

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. Now I just need to get the bump and displacement settings right. I've got things set a 3.o right now and she looks more like a clay figure than a real dog.

Attachments

• Samantha WIP.jpg
    Samantha WIP.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 193

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Problems with older tech and/or inexperience with hardware and software limitations (or as in my case personal learning issues).
I guess you may have to learn the hair functions in either D/S or Poser to get the dog to look more realistic because with the textures and bump maps available for it especially for medium to long hair breeds, clay figurines is all you will get......or maybe a LOT of post work fixing.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Poser has a similar hair option you can use but it is out of my level of understanding and skill. But there are some tutorials for it I am sure and someone here in the forums would be glad to help you with it.
Good luck with that.
What did you use for the bump map on your render?
If you want it to look a bit more realistic either use the bump map that came with the dog and turn it down a bit or the same texture you use for it in the bump option.
The bump you are using seems a bit off as is. I put some motion in the tail side to side or up an down to distract the eye from the stiffness stone look it seems to have in your render. Maybe swing to the opposite side of camera wherever possible.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Poser has a similar hair option you can use but it is out of my level of understanding and skill. But there are some tutorials for it I am sure and someone here in the forums would be glad to help you with it.
Good luck with that.
What did you use for the bump map on your render?
If you want it to look a bit more realistic either use the bump map that came with the dog and turn it down a bit or the same texture you use for it in the bump option.
The bump you are using seems a bit off as is. I put some motion in the tail side to side or up an down to distract the eye from the stiffness stone look it seems to have in your render. Maybe swing to the opposite side of camera wherever possible.

I know nothing about Poser's hair processes. I've always avoided them as being too involved.
Same with the Material room.
There was no actual bump map with the textures. So I'm using the white wolf texture for both the fur and the bump map.
This render has the map set for .07- this is just below the default setting of .08.

Attachments

• Samantha WIP 2.jpg
    Samantha WIP 2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 209

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't know if AM's Wolf for Poser would be any better but it does have hair created already for Posers hair room.

I've been hanging out for ages for Chris's wolf (my dog is a Husky/Belgian Shepherd cross so looks pretty wolfish)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It was my understanding that LAMH only works in Daz Studio. I'm using Poser 11. As for this kind of Post work. I wouldn't even know where to start- and the dog can't be replaced, she's in A LOT of stories.
Ah, got it. Yes, it's only for Daz

There are fur shaders for Poser, though. That might look a little better.
Also, try negative displacement, sometimes that can give a nice look.
AM Fur shaders - Poser - ShareCG
Bruno Von Bear - Poser - ShareCG
Hope those help!

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
I don't know if AM's Wolf for Poser would be any better but it does have hair created already for Posers hair room.

I've been hanging out for ages for Chris's wolf (my dog is a Husky/Belgian Shepherd cross so looks pretty wolfish)
Where would I find that? Is it still available?

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Okay. Here's what I've got:
AM's Wolf 2.0 with it's white fur texture. It's a lot better than what I had. Just wish it had come with some head morphs so I could make it look more like a malamute- their snouts are a little boxier than a wolf's.
So, like Lassie had male dogs playing a female collie, I guess I'll have a wolf playing a female malamute.

Attachments

• Samantha WIP 3.jpg
    Samantha WIP 3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 212

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Okay. Here's what I've got:
AM's Wolf 2.0 with it's white fur texture. It's a lot better than what I had. Just wish it had come with some head morphs so I could make it look more like a malamute- their snouts are a little boxier than a wolf's.
So, like Lassie had male dogs playing a female collie, I guess I'll have a wolf playing a female malamute.

That's a nice render. Can't really tell gender so should be ok. How difficult was it to set up and how long did it take to render this last one? I think it looks good.
Also would like to know how it works in a complex scene with props and figures etc. I do complex scenes and worry this kind of wolf would choke my system a bit. I found that Harry the Horse sold here for instance, though gorgeous has a hard time working for me in my scenes. It slows placement and render times considerably. I haven't picked their gorgeous Lion for same reason and imagine a hairy wolf will cause the same problem for me.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
That's a nice render. Can't really tell gender so should be ok. How difficult was it to set up and how long did it take to render this last one? I think it looks good.
Also would like to know how it works in a complex scene with props and figures etc. I do complex scenes and worry this kind of wolf would choke my system a bit. I found that Harry the Horse sold here for instance, though gorgeous has a hard time working for me in my scenes. It slows placement and render times considerably. I haven't picked their gorgeous Lion for same reason and imagine a hairy wolf will cause the same problem for me.
Just the wolf alone took a couple of minutes- that Poser room hair. Regular hair models render in no time. Everything in the render was "Out of the Box" with my basic light set- up- Front,Back,Left and Right and one over head. Only the over head light was set for Ray Trace shadows- all the others had shadows turned off. As for a full scene, I haven't tried it yet, but based on this one, I'm betting a long time to render. With my set-up- and I've got a 464GB drive- Poser hair always slows me down.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
They've been using Mals for wolves for a long time so you should get away with the reverse :D

Carmen, a tip for using Harry (and prob the lion but I haven't used him yet in poser) is to have the hair turned off until you are ready to render. That will help with setting up the scene (unfortunately not the render time).