• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Just to head off questions

D

Deleted member 325

While that is a horrible shame, it really does not surprise me that there are snakes in the garden. Yes, I have been critical of SM and certain features, and Yes I was an ambassador (technically still am as it is still listed on my account at SM) I spoke out against specific issues or actions I felt were hurting the end customer that I was not alone in wanting to see a better resolution to.

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh, no user ripped a freebie of mine. Not that I saw anyway. Demeaning my skills was a reference to if it's free, they love it. Paying for it? Yeah, no.

Clearly, that says my skills only have value if they are given away freely.

My biggest problem is when folks like Poser AMBASSADORS feel it's OK to demean vendors. ALL vendors. To work actively to put vendors out of business. To advocate, in every public post, that vendors are bad, bad, bad.

And, then to go into the Rendo forum with all the DAZ vendors and HELP them piss on Poser's grave.

I quote from a post today from a Poser AMBASSADOR:

It is impossible to co-exist when these kinds of people are betraying everything we try to do.

I miss understood but I agree considering I have seen people advise potential vendors to make some free items to show your skill set to lead into selling product. Based upon this is seems a good way to metaphorically cut your own throat.

One reason why I gave up on Rendo so long ago but I had other issues as well (they will probably ban my long dormant account for saying that).

With Ambassador like that who needs enemies. I did see someone post elsewhere a few weeks ago that they were given up on Poser and I was surprised to see they were also a Poser Ambassador. What a strange world we live in these days.

Hornet3d

Wise
While that is a horrible shame, it really does not surprise me that there are snakes in the garden. Yes, I have been critical of SM and certain features, and Yes I was an ambassador (technically still am as it is still listed on my account at SM) I spoke out against specific issues or actions I felt were hurting the end customer that I was not alone in wanting to see a better resolution to.

I don't think being an ambassador is all about not being able to criticise but that is a long way from saying Poser is dead and buried.

D

Deleted member 325

I did see someone post elsewhere a few weeks ago that they were given up on Poser and I was surprised to see they were also a Poser Ambassador. What a strange world we live in these days.
I think that was me... There are a lot of reasons, and it is a heavy decision - I can not support Poser 11 or future versions that use the license manager reactivation every 6 months. It has caused me no end of trouble on Poser 2014GD. I have reached out to SM in numerous ways - I do not want say a lot as it may change, but I can say they have not addressed the issues or worked to resolve my concerns. Though, in fairness, with all of the issues I am having I had asked to no longer be an Ambassador.
I really did love Poser... I'd love to see it make a comeback in all respects. As it is, with current issues with the software itself though, I can not move forward with it sadly. As more content requires Poser 11 or later, I will become obsolete.

Hornet3d

Wise
I think that was me... There are a lot of reasons, and it is a heavy decision - I can not support Poser 11 or future versions that use the license manager reactivation every 6 months. It has caused me no end of trouble on Poser 2014GD. I have reached out to SM in numerous ways - I do not want say a lot as it may change, but I can say they have not addressed the issues or worked to resolve my concerns. Though, in fairness, with all of the issues I am having I had asked to no longer be an Ambassador.
I really did love Poser... I'd love to see it make a comeback in all respects. As it is, with current issues with the software itself though, I can not move forward with it sadly. As more content requires Poser 11 or later, I will become obsolete.

Well I can't argue on either point as I too hate the deactivation feature which I inadvertently got caught up in when I upgraded to Game Dev. The result was I stuck with Poser 2014 for years when Poser 11 came out only updating when the sale price was almost a giveaway. Before that I used to be an early adopter for all Poser upgrades, Poser 2014 also remains as an install although I would miss superfly if I needed to revert.

It may have been your post I saw I can't really remember and I was just surprised an ambassador had reached that decision. That said it is hardly a decision for life and you did the right thing by asking not to remain as an ambassador.

Considering 3D art is meant to be all about expression I am amazed that so much expression is about the software and not the art and that most of that expression is far from creative, how ironic.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
What's sad too is that so many people are willing to believe Poser is dead, and has been for years. But then, that's been "gospel" from the first day I visited the DAZ forums in 2006, which isn't really all that long ago.

If Poser and DAZ Studio brought in revenue on the order of the NFL empire, I'd wonder if the mob were behind the people who are so dedicated to killing Poser. Seriously ... you have to wonder what's in it for people who spend years on end vilifying a piece of software that like ... in many cases ... has absolutely no impact on their livelihood or lives. Even those who we know are DAZ vendors and who have dedicated themselves to badmouthing Poser (and HiveWire) aren't really THAT affected by either. It's not like their customers are going to up and switch to Poser.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In the end, all this argument about Poser becoming obsolete is BS. What we have really been experiencing are the effects of DAZ departing from the Poser market. This has been silently building pressure on the Poser side for years, and now it's no longer silent. SMS is not, and will probably never be content creators. They even tried with Paul and Pauline, but that was just to show how out of their league they were to do it. Then we hear silly people asking SMS to magically create figures in the same level as DAZ, who have been doing this for decades. And worse, they put this as a condition to keep using Poser, which is even sillier.

There is also the illusion that SMS could magically steal DAZ intellectual property and make Genesis work natively in Poser. No matter how many times SMS has already explained that this is not possible, even if they wanted to, people keep ignoring it and keep asking (sigh).

Poser users have become quite divided over the program and figures. It's the result of the slow but steady pressure buildup from the DAZ/Poser split. I perfectly understand where this is coming from, but that doesn't excuse the silly expectations some started to have. DAZ will not sell Poser figures, and SMS will not become content creators. Those are facts, whether people like it or not. I know it sucks, but it's nobody's fault. People just have the urge to find someone to blame, and in some cases, content creators have fallen victim to this crossfire.

Frankly, we have Poser figures that would satisfy both sides - those who are flexible and easy to use, and those that are hard to use but pose much better. We cannot have a single figure that does both, at least not until a new kind of figure rigging comes out. With what we have now, people have to choose between these 2 groups, depending on what is more important to them. This is also nobody's fault. But the important thing is that we already have these native Poser figures people can use right now. For those who decide to keep crying over the spilled milk, wishing DAZ will come back to comfort them, or that SMS will break the law to make it happen, that's their problem.

Me195

Extraordinary
I'm sad to hear that the joy has been sucked out of the 3D community for you by negative behavior. I am glad to hear that you will still be making art with poser. I hope that in the future you'll feel like popping in and sharing your renders with us. I wish you nothing but peace, enjoyment, satisfaction, and prosperity in all your future endeavors.

TaishoBee

Adventurous
I'm sad to see this, but I refuse to believe Poser is going anywhere. I agree with @Ken1171 completely.

I bought and downloaded your items, I'll miss you.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm sad to see this, but I refuse to believe Poser is going anywhere. I agree with @Ken1171 completely.

I bought and downloaded your items, I'll miss you.

Well I started using Poser in 2005 and people were predicting Poser's death then and have never stopped doing so. Just like the hypochondriac that placed the message 'see I told you I was ill' they will be right one day but despite all the claims of inside knowledge no one really knows and if there are some that do they are not going to go on any forum and say so.

My guess is that many vendors have given up because of the changes over the years that means the effort needed to create for Poser has increased while the returns have diminished. Whatever the rights and wrongs, when you split a market into different camps the potential market for any object is reduced unless you make the extra effort to create for both camps and once again that extra effort is often not rewarded with any real financial benefit. The other change has been that the marketplaces have either changed or closed and, the demise of the likes of RDNA results in vendors deciding the time is right to move onto more rewarding ventures. Add to that the fact that some customers refuse to shop at certain marketplaces and the customer pool diminishes further.

To all of the above you have to add that other changes have also had an impact for example, the ability to convert clothes made for one figure to any other figure has reduced the demand to buy the latest version of a given suit has an impact on the market, especially when that ability is built into Poser.

Like you I do not believe that Poser is going anywhere, and even if it does I will continue to use it, but the truth is it is far more difficult to buy good quality Poser content these and when we lose vendors with the skill set of Glitterati that is only going to make the situation worse. I have some insight into the research and care Glitterati put into the products and it was huge, despite that the cost to content ratio was very much in the customers favour. Like you I will miss the products but I will miss Glitterati far more as she was always there to support and assist in me getting my head around Poser.

It is a sad moment but let's look at this with a glass half full approach, what would the situation be like if Hivewire3D was not here. Imagine a world without the high quality products on sale here from both the Hivewire team and the small and talented band of vendors that help keep Poser alive. I my own case I use Dawn in Poser and I will not shop in one particular marketplace any anyway their support for Poser is very limited. This limits my buying opportunities to Hivewire and to one other place that will never sell Dawn content so that I can only buy scenes and props. As the prices are top whack I can only afford to buy when those products are on sale. There are a few other small vendor runs sites I do buy from but understandably the products are limited in number.

There is a great bunch here but we cannot afford to lose them and once gone the likes of Glitterati are nigh on impossible to replace. As Poser users we have to support Poser vendors where we can, we must buy from them but I know customer's finances are tight so when we do buy we need to keep posting renders of the products where and where ever we can. That applies to everyone who wants Poser to remain healthy not just the small percentage of users that have the ability to produce some of the stunning renders that we see here at Hivewire. I would encourage everyone to post because it give the opportunity for others with a similar skill set see what they can do with a product and hopefully encourage them to buy.

I apologise for the long response to a short post but despite being an optimist I see the loss Glitterati as a major blow and I care passionately about a piece of software that has given me so much pleasure in the last thirteen years and I will like to think it is still providing pleasure to others long after I have gone.