• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Iray DS Base Shaders

Szark

Awesome
my pleasure. It sounds easy enough and I suppose it is when you render in viewport when making adjustments. It is very touchy with what colour we choose.

See the difference between SSS and No SSS. The darkness comes from 1; the diffuse maps in the translucency colour and the SSS colour but in real terms the SSS looks more realistic. :)

test  no sss.jpg

test sss.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay so I tried it with this texture I've been working on. Not too good with setting up my own lights in Iray yet and wasn't sure I could see with a normal hdri light so I tried something more extreme using one of the back lights from the dramatic lighting set I have. Got rid of the front lights and the lights do have a pink colour to them but I think I've got it, I just need to work on the lighting it properly. First one is just the hdri, second with the altered light set but you can see on the hair it's way too intense...so yay! Now I just need to work on the settings some more. Pete, have you tried in ps to use less opacity so the translucency image has less colour than original?
sssirayears normal lighting.jpg
sssirayears.jpg

Szark

Awesome
I just use the defaults with the Sun Dial to test things. If I have reflective surfaces then I use Pixar's free HDRI as it has a lot of things to reflect and nice shadows.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
oh didn't know that, its one of the first ones I got last year (I haven't used it tho). Where did you see that Pen? I would assume its because they wouldn't want people to think your work was affiliated with Pixar.

Edit to add: I found this: HDRI - Luxo Jr and its free to use for whatever?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wonder if that's because the poster isn't the authur Dylan?
The link I posted to was from Dylan and it said "This HDRI was captured at the main campus of Pixar Animation Studios. Feel free to use it whenever you require a panorama with giant lamp." I think I might email him and double check to be safe :p

Szark

Awesome
Doh I was going to get a link for you but I had to redo Ken's frogs with new SSS settings and got side tracked, plus notification are borked again.

Try this
Set
Translucency Weight to 0.50
Scatter Only
Translucency colour White (no map)

SSS
the same thickness settings apply as before but choose and nice red with an orange tint. Not too bright and colour but not dark.

I found doing it this way it can be translated to any other frog without having to balance the Translucency Colour and SSS. One SSS colour to suit all.

PS To test keep the diffuse maps in place but change the colour bar to Black this way you can see the SSS effects better. Strange though if I remove the diffuse map and make it black I get no SSS at all. Anyways it seems to work my way. :)

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey Pen, I heard back from Dylan

"Hi Rae,
Thanks for writing!
Yes, you may use the HDRI to create art that you sell for commercial purposes. That's what it is for. (Just don't redistribute it.)
If you can provide a credit somewhere, that's great, but not required.
Just glad you are using the HDRI, and I'd love to see what you create.
cheers,
-Dylan"