• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Iray DS Base Shaders

Szark

Awesome
Since I will be spending more time over here I am open to helping anyone with questions about the Iray base Shaders. I have a fairly good knowledge about them now but don't ask me about human Skin. I have no interest in human portraits what so ever. The official documentation is a good start but not the complete picture. I don't know it all yet but I am working hard on it. If I don't know something I will say rather than trying to look good and give wrong info and I love to be corrected if I do get something wrong.

Here is what I have done in Iray so far Daz Studio Iray by ItiseyeMeeSzark on DeviantArt

Saba'a AlKair New s.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That is stunning Szark, but then I've always liked your artwork. :)

~swipes my chocolate back~

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
wow, for someone not interesting in human skin your Val is beautiful!

Szark

Awesome
Thank you sanbie.

Rea thank you. It's not that I don't like doing them it more of a case that I don't have the products to make a more realistic render which is a personal challenge that started with this Poser 8 image I did over 5 yeas ago

Granted I did a lot of work in Photoshop on the textures adding dirt and liver spots to the skin and adjusting displacement maps to name a few. The only postwork was adding the smoke. But I want to do better and just don't have the skills to make the products I need to do it all myself. And with the prices of Gen 3 themselves and quality products I just can't afford it for just one or two renders.

I also prefer to do render creatures, buildings, landscapes and wildlife. I don't even like taking photos with people in. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Beautiful Szark.
I wish I could get such lifelike people. I think that's why I stick with Harry :p

Szark

Awesome
I can't wait to get Harry to be honest. I have wanted to do a realistic Horse render for so long. My only gripe is that we don't have vascular maps for Harry. But I do like doing fantasy renders with horses.

I just wished the saddle and reins were better. Which is why I am going for Harry and the saddles...everything looks like to works so much better. This image use Mil Horse. I was disappointed in #2 and did want to waste my money.

Szark

Awesome
Doing humans in realism terms take a lot of knowledge about light, surfaces and most of all detail and asymmetrical features, like one eye slightly bigger than the other. different lines on both sides of the face and the list goes on and on. Eyes are the hardest part and hair needs to be spot on. Then comes clothing. If I did another I would use top quality clothing or dynamic. For my poser dude I just used clothing from the cheaper side of the market. ;)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, sometimes is not even the cloths themselves but the textures/shaders that let them down. I find some of the new Iray shaders are pretty good and can spruce up even a cheep set of clothes real nice.

Harry's real nice even without vascular maps.

Szark

Awesome
As a habit I don't buy shaders if I can help it. I did in the past though. But yes good modeling and poor maps or just old maps. I do tend to look at the modelling side these days. Look at the detail that Luthbel, Luthbellina and or Stonemason's (under the name Streetwear) to name a few top modelers. This is what I look for, detail. Sorry I haven't mentioned any vendors from here as I just don't know what it is the store these days.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I always liked your Working Man render. I've never gone for that sort of realism, but you make it look worth the effort. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I love Stonemasons stuff. Yes level of detail can make or break an image (especially if you're going for realism like your images above).

As a newbie I find the Iray shaders invaluable (until I can get my head around it and do my own :D)

Szark

Awesome
Once we get the basic down of what shader mode is what I think the rest should fall in to place. Iray shader are a lot easier in some ways than 3DL or Firelfy but tricky to get them spot on. That is where we should start at the basics as I see it.