• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Individual fetlock colors for HiveWire Horse

Erwin0265

Motivated
Hi,
I have no idea where to post this, so thought it might be a good idea to post on a thread where there were plenty of Harry users..........
I have only just gotten Harry and CWRW's Ultra Textures and am trying to work out how to load black fetlock hair onto 2 hooves and white onto the other 2 hooves.
Just to make it more perplexing, alternate hooves (ie. one front and one back).
As far as I have been able to manage, it can't be done with the material presets available; but quite a few of the material groups (aka. breeds - but only wrt coat colour - not morph) such as the Bay Roan, Blue Roan, Mustang and GrullaPinto (no material preset for this one, btw - but it is in the textures file) have alternate white socks but no way (that I can find) to add fetlock hair of the right colour to each hoof.
My only thought (a workaround, if you will) is to load 2 fetlock figures to Harry and set one to black, the other to white and then hide the alternate colours..............
Am I missing something really obvious?
BTW, very much a beginner [so please be gentle].................

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Hi Erwin and welcome to the Hive! I'm sure someone who has the CWRW textures will be able to help you...I do not so cannot but being as this is the friendliest forum imaginable, there will be someone who will very gently and kindly guide you in the right direction :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't use Poser so I don't know if its different in that program but this is how I'd do it in Daz Studio.

Its easy if you just want the front legs or back legs the same. You would just need to select a colour for all four then manually change the front or back to suit. (I don't use fetlocks that often so never noticed that there is only black or white settings, not parti-coloured ones to suit the texture).

But if you need just one fetlock changed or opposite like the Roan, then you would need to create your own texture.
In the sample below I used the Roan (white) texture and the Black and combined them. Since the front leg is white on the left (looking at Harry's front) then the white texture needs to be on the left and the black on the right. If the back legs were the same you could use the same texture you just made for the front but since its on the diagonal, you will need to create another texture which is the opposite.
how to get 2 dif colour fets.jpg

Erwin0265

Motivated
Ahh, yes, that's another way (Poser would be much the same, but I use DS like you. Spent quite some time learning Poser but I think DS is better and more user friendly).
I thought, looking at the textures that were available in the pack, that there must have been a way to do it with the existent textures - but your suggestion makes it pretty simple without too much effort, thanks!
Now all I need is to find out how to apply the Iray settings to the white fetlock textures (the black fetlock textures have lighter colours for the Base colour, Glossy colour and Glossy specular but you can't really do that with the white fetlocks.............).
Thanks again; any suggestions for the Iray settings would also be very much appreciated (as you use DS, I am assuming that you've also been dabbling with Iray and CWRW's Iray settings for the default bay texture doesn't include white fetlocks [of course])..........

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I actually find that using the 3DL setting for the white and hitting the Uber shader, and adding the diffuse map (the coloured one) to the Glossy colour as well usually works pretty good. If I remember, I'll take a look tomorrow (off to bed now :D)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ahh, yes, that's another way (Poser would be much the same, but I use DS like you. Spent quite some time learning Poser but I think DS is better and more user friendly).
I thought, looking at the textures that were available in the pack, that there must have been a way to do it with the existent textures - but your suggestion makes it pretty simple without too much effort, thanks!
Now all I need is to find out how to apply the Iray settings to the white fetlock textures (the black fetlock textures have lighter colours for the Base colour, Glossy colour and Glossy specular but you can't really do that with the white fetlocks.............).
Thanks again; any suggestions for the Iray settings would also be very much appreciated (as you use DS, I am assuming that you've also been dabbling with Iray and CWRW's Iray settings for the default bay texture doesn't include white fetlocks [of course])..........

The only really major difference when using white in Iray and glossy as a light source is that you may have to put a different specular or ambient color selection because glossy uses a white specular setting and tends sometimes to render too light and looks washed out and you loose all the detail. So you might try using a soft grey from the color pallet in the specular or ambient settings, but you may have to play around with it some to get the effect you are looking for. You might also try setting the light source to matte as that takes away the specualr setting all together.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, Erwin, and welcome to HiveWire!!

Actually not sure about the best place for this either lol, but I've moved it over to the DS forum since you're using DS, so others can learn and/or add their input :)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hi,
I have no idea where to post this, so thought it might be a good idea to post on a thread where there were plenty of Harry users..........
I have only just gotten Harry and CWRW's Ultra Textures and am trying to work out how to load black fetlock hair onto 2 hooves and white onto the other 2 hooves.
Just to make it more perplexing, alternate hooves (ie. one front and one back).
As far as I have been able to manage, it can't be done with the material presets available; but quite a few of the material groups (aka. breeds - but only wrt coat colour - not morph) such as the Bay Roan, Blue Roan, Mustang and GrullaPinto (no material preset for this one, btw - but it is in the textures file) have alternate white socks but no way (that I can find) to add fetlock hair of the right colour to each hoof.
My only thought (a workaround, if you will) is to load 2 fetlock figures to Harry and set one to black, the other to white and then hide the alternate colours..............
Am I missing something really obvious?
BTW, very much a beginner [so please be gentle].................

That was the way that I would do it! So if there is another way I look foreward to hearing it. Welcome!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm obviously going nuts as I originally posted this to the eyes thread but here it tis...now in the right place.
Here's how to do the surfaces if you want to do it that way...edited to add is there a way that I can share this? Without infringing on copyright? Does anyone know?
  1. Select the Fetlocks in the Scene tab
  2. Load up the Geometry editor (you will need the Tool Settings Tab open. If it's not already open go to Window/Tab/Tool Settings to open it.)
  3. Luckily the fetlocks doesn't have a lot there so you should see surfaces and two surface groups.
  4. Right click in the Viewport and choose
  5. Selection type Polygon
  6. Selection Mode Marquee
  7. Click on surfaces and right click and choose Right click from selected.
  8. A box will pop up call it something like 5_FetlockHairBackLeft
  9. Then click on the original surface and rename it to the opposite side eg. Right
  10. Rinse and repeat with the front fetlocks.
  11. Now you can Assign maps and diffuse colours to individual fetlocks and each one could be a different colour.
fetlocks.jpg

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
hmm Pen, that link goes to a page saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Erwin0265

Motivated
Thanks, Pendraia, both for finding the new post location and your advise.
Your method is one I had no idea about at all, so thanks for that; learning yet another way to do this in DS.
"You might also try setting the light source to matte as that takes away the specualr setting all together."; NA, isn't that a 3Dlight setting?
Thanks, though for the Iray suggestion - I had already tried that and gotten OK results; perhaps I'm just finding the white fetlock texture too perfect (sorry CWRW) - it's just so clean and 100% white (guess that's the show day setting... :) ); I may also add some more variation in the white texture map in PS to see how that looks..........
Guess I now have to create a render with alternate fetlock colours to show (Gulp - I have yet to show any of my DS work publicly.... Having come from the traditional route means my digital still has quite a way to come before it can match my traditional..........)
Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm off to play...........

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Rae, I copied and pasted the whole text from the other thread...should have moved it(hits self on forehead) but I didn't think of it at the time.

Looking forward to seeing your renders Erwin...and we really are very nice here so no need to be concerned.

I use the surface selection and creating new surfaces when creating content but I remember seeing posts over at Daz about creating new surfaces from others when they weren't happy with the surface groups. Still waiting on a result from a post over at Daz about if it's possible to share this somehow which would make it easier.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm obviously going nuts as I originally posted this to the eyes thread but here it tis...now in the right place.
Here's how to do the surfaces if you want to do it that way...edited to add is there a way that I can share this? Without infringing on copyright? Does anyone know?
  1. Select the Fetlocks in the Scene tab
  2. Load up the Geometry editor (you will need the Tool Settings Tab open. If it's not already open go to Window/Tab/Tool Settings to open it.)
  3. Luckily the fetlocks doesn't have a lot there so you should see surfaces and two surface groups.
  4. Right click in the Viewport and choose
  5. Selection type Polygon
  6. Selection Mode Marquee
  7. Click on surfaces and right click and choose Right click from selected.
  8. A box will pop up call it something like 5_FetlockHairBackLeft
  9. Then click on the original surface and rename it to the opposite side eg. Right
  10. Rinse and repeat with the front fetlocks.
  11. Now you can Assign maps and diffuse colours to individual fetlocks and each one could be a different colour.

That is clever beyond belief! I'm such a newbie! Thank you and I'm marking this to remember. Erwin, don't be afraid to post, they really are nice and supportive here! I started with 2D work, too, then went to digital 2d and finally learning DS, so you are in good company!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That is clever beyond belief! I'm such a newbie! Thank you and I'm marking this to remember. Erwin, don't be afraid to post, they really are nice and supportive here! I started with 2D work, too, then went to digital 2d and finally learning DS, so you are in good company!
Hi Dakorillon, I learnt this in a post just like this one...probably over at Daz. We're all clever ;) ...once we've been shown how to do something. I'm simply passing the knowledge forward...I have lots still to learn also. Would it be worth my putting this up as a pdf file on ShareCG? It would be simple enough to do it and add some screen shots. I still haven't seen a response to my post at Daz but only one or two people can possibly answer what I asked so I'm not surprised. I'm still hoping that I can use DSON within Daz to help share it legally. We will have to wait and see for that.

If you get stuck sing out here or via pm and I'm happy to help.:)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I think it would be great to have it as a pdf on ShareCG! It's often hard to remember where you saw a tip or tutorial, or hint, and being able to download it is perfect!