• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I'm finally getting new eyeglasses!

I went to Pearle Vision today. My head is messed up. The appointment was yesterday. They got me in anyway. We figured out prescriptions for "regular" eyeglasses, and computer glasses. That was the good news. The bad news?! My insurance only offers $100 coverage. I'd still need $200 just to get computer glasses.

Now I need to find some alternatives.

Dylan

Eager
$200 doesn't seem a lot for improved eyes Ron, at least from an Irish perspective where all that stuff is even more expensive. I hope it works out for you.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Laser surgery in Australia is considered cosmetic and isn't covered but cataracts are so it probably was Ron...

Dylan

Eager
Yes I suppose different rules for different countries Pen.
Anyway that's me done for tonight. I need to shower now and get ready for partying. My friends are in the house ready for me, poaching my food and drink, molesting my remotes and teasing my dog.
See you all tomorrow. Glad to have you all back again after such a long absence.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Alisa, wow, that is a relief. I must have previously inquired about Lasex surgery?! Maybe that was an elective laser surgery?!

Yep. That would make sense - Lasick surgery is indeed elective.

I went to Pearle Vision today. My head is messed up. The appointment was yesterday. They got me in anyway. We figured out prescriptions for "regular" eyeglasses, and computer glasses. That was the good news. The bad news?! My insurance only offers $100 coverage. I'd still need $200 just to get computer glasses.

Now I need to find some alternatives.
Glad they got you in. Maybe some non-prescription glasses will work out for computer use.

I got some prescription "computer" glasses for less than $40. They'll be here in 2 weeks. Have a great weekend everyone.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
As I am a pensioner I get free eye glasses every 2 years...but they don't cover bifocals so I would have top pay the difference of $100...to me that's not dear for being able to see properly RK
But glad to hear you got some computer glasses

Thanks. I found Zenni Optical where I bought a pair of progressive bifocal eyeglasses for $50. Now let's see how easy it is to get what you want online. It'll probably take 2 weeks to get them.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ron,

That's a really, really good price. I only have one pair of eyeglasses... I am WAY overdue for bifocals (though Dr is talking more like trifocals it sounded like at the last appointment)... being that I am not a pensioner (I'm 36), and our insurance only covers single vision lenses, the extra cost is prohibitive for us, so I make do by keeping magnifying lenses handy... as in kept in my pocket. If I hold one of those up to whatever I am reading, I can generally make out the letters. My lenses, even for the cheaper (and horribly too blasted easily scratched) plastic lenses run about $275. If I were to do the additional prescriptions that my eye doc wants me to do, it would run me about $400. If I stick to the single vision lenses and keep the magnifying glass method, then the eyeglasses don't cost us anything except for the frame (and in a pinch the frame would cost us nothing also as I could choose from a select group of frames that would be covered by the insurance, instead of getting my own frames as I prefer to do).

Our insurance will only cover single vision lenses, though, so if the script is for bifocal or trifocals, they won't pay for even one cent of the prescription and will only cover the in-office exam. For me, it's not a matter of not wanting to spend the extra to get the multi-vision lenses I need... it's a matter of us not having $400 to dump into a single pair of eyeglasses that will be scratched up in a week. That $400 is just shy of being half of our mortgage payment. It's too much to drop at one single time.

I've got er, very challenging eyes. Was so nearsighted and with extreme astigmatim that I couldn't see beyond my nose clearly (literally) without my contact lenses (gas perms - couldn't wear soft ones). Didn't own glasses as the only time I tried them as an adult it felt like I was looking through a fishbowl (through about 1" thick lenses) and the whole world just was spinning. I had my contacts set with one distance and one for close up. The plus side was that I could see without my lenses REALLY close up if I stuck my nose into something so I could see splinters pretty well ;).

You sound like me, almost. I was the baby that they took a guess and stuck glasses on her face because I was bumping into walls, tables, furniture, everything when I finally started walking. So they just started putting glasses on my face and increasing strength until I stopped walking into everything and everyone around me. LOL I was in coke-bottle glasses by the time I was 10 years old. I've needed multi-vision lenses since my early 20's, but we didn't have any insurance at all until the last three years or so, and well... the insurance we have won't pay one penny towards lenses that are multi-vision.

I love my magnifying glass! It goes everywhere with me. :lol:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I keep a magnifying glass with me, too. There's a big one on the desk next to me - with a light (as you get older, that becomes equally important). What's funny now is that I have to read stuff for my husband, who never had glasses but now needs reading glasses..which AREN'T always with us when we're out :)

Sorry it took me awhile to reply. I've ordered both a pair of "Computer" eyeglasses, and a pair of Progressive BiFocals (is that what they call them?!) I ordered the bifocals from Zinni Optical for $50! I made a mistake on the prescription for the computer glasses. I sent their Customer service a message to see if it can be fixed before they ship them.

Want a laugh?! I used their "try on" feature to see what the computer eyeglasses would look like! Obviously I am having a bad hair day!

Ron Milo.jpg

Terre

Renowned
That's great news!
I've had tri-focal progressives for a few years now and was fortunate enough to not have a mortgagee payment (it got paid off years ago) so we could afford them. -7.5 in one eye and -8 in the other with some astigmatism (age related, I'm 53) gets expensive even with plastic lenses when you don't go through a discount house or whatever. A magnifying glass is the one thing I don't need. I just look aver my glasses and bring whatever I need to see up to about two inches past the end of my nose.

I really sympathize with people who need extra help besides their eyeglasses (magnifying glasses etc.) and people with "Coke Bottle" Lenses. I have needed to pull out my magnifying glass a few times, and still couldn't read the print on my old eyeglasses etc.

Now I know there is more to buying eyeglasses than just a prescription. You need Pupil Distance measurements frame size etc. I'm taking a risk now ordering two different pairs of eyeglasses from two different companies. But I've actually spent less than $100 so far. If things go well, I'll have what I need. I do want to go to a local optometrist and use the prescription to buy new eyeglasses in the store. That way I'll know all the other variables are set. Maybe I'll have a collection of eyeglasses to show folks when I do my videos?!

Thanks. I realized I'd made a mistake on the prescription for my new Computer Eyeglasses. I contacted EyeBuyGlasses customer service. They were able to fix the lens prescription, but I won't be getting the Blue Coat thing (UV?!) I'll get a refund on that cost. I don't mind. I'll likely order another pair of eyeglasses from them, and get it right next time!