• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I need some advice...

Hornet3d

Wise
That's how I usually get temp passwords. I don't recall anyone sending one to my cellphone.

Cell phone has become more popular for passwords since the wider acceptance of two stage verification, but a lot of sites allow you to choose between phone or email just in case you have lost access to your phone for any reason.

My phone is a $100 cheapie from Amazon and a Sim that I pay the absolute minimum for as it is discounted as part of the phone/TV and Broadband package from the same provider. Just cannot justify an iPhone or top of the range Samsung for the amount I use it. Same with the tablet, I use a Kindle Fire, I know it uses a cut down version of Andriod but it meets my needs and I can buy one for my wife and myself and still have change from the cost of an iPad.

Only downside of this is I squeak when I walk.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I can't justify the cost of an iPhone either. I'm due for a new phone, and the gal at my provider's store showed me one that's small, like the one I have, because I carry my phone in a holder attached to the shoulder strap of my purse so it's easy to access. The way they're making most new phones much larger, I just walk away, so I thought this smaller iPhone might be nice . . . but . . . 1) it's Apple's iOS, and 2) it's way out my ballpark as far as price goes, even though I can take 2 1/2 years to pay it off. Paying it off is a nice feature, but it doesn't change the final price, which is more than double the price of any phone I've ever purchased before.

Hornet3d

Wise
I can't justify the cost of an iPhone either. I'm due for a new phone, and the gal at my provider's store showed me one that's small, like the one I have, because I carry my phone in a holder attached to the shoulder strap of my purse so it's easy to access. The way they're making most new phones much larger, I just walk away, so I thought this smaller iPhone might be nice . . . but . . . 1) it's Apple's iOS, and 2) it's way out my ballpark as far as price goes, even though I can take 2 1/2 years to pay it off. Paying it off is a nice feature, but it doesn't change the final price, which is more than double the price of any phone I've ever purchased before.

I am with you there. When I worked in the phone store it was always a question of what they could afford each month, I don't think anyone went to the trouble of working out just how much it was going to cost over the period of the agreement, and some were, in my view, eye watering amounts.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh definitely. The monthly addition would've only been $15, which is affordable, but she had told me how much the phone was BEFORE she told me I could pay it off, so I was already cringing at the cost. o_O

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've always only looked at the total price of the phone ... and have always bought it with a contract. With the contract and the verizon upgrade, I paid very little for my current phone.

iPhones, iPads, iWhatevers are just way too overpriced. You're not paying for the hardware, but for the name ... or perhaps it would be more accurate to say the mythos. Apple seems almost more like a religion ... with Jobs as the messiah ... then a technology. When I worked for a huge consulting engineering firm in the late 80s, the enlightened/non conformists needed macs. These was this whole mindset that pcs were for the common masses/corporate drones.

Me ... I was just too poor to be enlightened. Plus, I liked having the ability to repair or upgrade a pc myself. Now, the last thing I ever want to do is to repair or upgrade a computer myself.

I love my Kindle Fire, and I don't mind it runs a customized version of Android. The deciding factor between the Nexus and Kindle Fire for me was content. Since I'm a Prime member, it made far more sense to stay in the Amazon marketplace. I don't actually care for either the Apple or Google marketplaces anyway. I do miss my Fire HDX 8.9 though. It was a fantastic little thing ... with better resolution than the iPad. The HD 10 replacement is a disappointment, both in screen resolution (which IS noticeable after the HDX 8.9), worse, a rather poor battery life. I have to keep it plugged in when I'm playing a game or watching video. I suppose if all I did was read, the battery life would be acceptable. But, then why buy a Fire?!?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, not a fan AT ALL of i-anything. I'm a Google boy and I love my Moto X Pure Edition phone which is open so I just plugged in my AT&T chip and then when I left them a couple of months ago and switched to Ting Mobile, I saw my phone bill drop by more than half, happy about that. As for tablets, I love my Samsung 10 and 12. 12 I use for work stuff and 10 I use for games and take with me when I go to coffee at Philz so I can play a game while my friends talk about political crap I have no interest in! lol

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, from now on all my passwords will be written down and placed in a safe unknown location with instructions on what to do and who to alert online if something happens to me.

Good news though, My provider can change the number. I just have to wait until Friday for a new SIM card to arrive.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have an iPad, a Galaxy tablet and a Galaxy phone. Both the latest tablets I got off a reward system card I have. The tablet is worth in Australian $274. I thought it would be old tech as I got it free, but when I went to buy a case the guy in the store pointed it out to me I was really surprised to find it wasn't old tech. The iPad was an iPad air 2. I use the iPad at school and the Galaxy at home. Can't complain as essentially they were free. The flybys card works at a lot of the stores we go to anyway so it just builds up through doing our local shop and buying petrol for the cars. It always surprises me when I find out how many points I've accrued. We have had a number of things from it including cameras and movie tickets. We don't go out of our way to get points...

I find that I like both but prefer the Galaxy for the most part. Some software apps are only available on the iPad which bugs me...also you can't access any of the files, whereas the Galaxy is more accessible in that regard.

edited to add...I always think that iPads/iPhones were designed for people who don't want to mess around with anything technical(that's putting it nicely actually) one thing in their favour though is battery life, it is way better than the galaxy.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I record all my passwords. Though, not the entire password. I use a code word which tells me what the password is, but no one else would be able to extrapolate the password from that codeword.

With a thousand and one passwords, it's the only way you can be expected to remember any of them. I periodically read reviews for password managers, which one day I might switch to. But for now, this works.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I record all my passwords. Though, not the entire password. I use a code word which tells me what the password is, but no one else would be able to extrapolate the password from that codeword.
That's EXACTLY what I do. I never actually write the dozen or so passwords I use regularly down anywhere. Even my best friend, whom I've know for close to 40 years, wouldn't be able to guess what they stand for.

Last edited:

quietrob

Extraordinary
I suppose I'm the cat with the painted stripe at a skunk party. I love my Iphone. Movies, Pictures to record my life, apps for productivity such as keeping track of my health, writing, idea's, watching my poor banking accounts to the last dollar. I listen to the latest music or my favorite songs from days long gone (I love Sade) and can upload it to my phone. CD's? That is soooo last century. Now my music is piped from my phone through my car stereo. Who needs a map or a GPS when your phone can do the same thing? You will never get lost again. (Unless it's really foggy and you were in the wrong lane. Long story.) During Christmas when the family gets together, my two nieces, their daughters, my nephew in law and Sweetheart all use Iphones and can send and receive data from each other. My sister always has the latest Iphone, I typically am one behind. They are on Iphone 7. I have the 6. The galaxy's feel too flimsy for me though I do envy the slightly bigger screen. The more you use it, the more things you can use it for. You may scrunch at the initial cost but electronics is one those things that you get what you pay for. The thing I hated the most about cellphones was the battery life was ridiculous. It always ran out and at the worst possible time. The new smartphones have as good or better battery life than your laptop, charge faster and are just plain handier but I can only reference Iphone and the galaxy in this. I don't know just how good other off name brands really are...but the kids are pretty bright about this. There is a reason why you can't separate a millennial from their phone. I know some may balk at the smartphone craze but learn from the young. If our parents didn't learn from us, we'd still be using 8 Track tapes. I hated that KA-THUNK right in the middle of a song. Didn't you?

To the problem at hand. Temp Passwords for mail are sent via text or your old mail. If it is asking for your old password first, you might be SOL. Another option is You might see if you used your passwords on another device such as a laptop or your desktop system. If you used Mozilla or Chrome and told it to save your password, you can look it up. If you used either and saved that password on your current computer, you should be able to look it up. If you use Explorer and told it to save your password...I'm not so sure you can easily find it. That's how I found a password that we thought was lost. Last I heard, Yahoo support will NOT give your old password. They will make you create a new account which is awful. Just awful. You lose all of your contacts and correspondence.

As for not writing down passwords, you can use that old computer that isn't hooked to the net to store them electronically or you can go old school and write it in that little black book. A little black book is almost Unhackable. Record the entire password. Don't mess around with clues. This is access to your life.

eclark1894

Visionary
Despite all the complaints millenials have about them bad old days and old tech, us old timers know there were lots of advantages. In most cases, the only thing about new tech that I do like is it's size. It's more mobile and easier to carry around. That said, people who bury their heads in the latest mobile device annoy me almost as much as people who buried their heads in books all the time.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Gasp! Books are meant for burying one's head in! 24/7 even.

When I was young, I was always worried I'd die in the middle of reading a book and never know the ending. I eventually grew out of that fear. Now there are far more important worries than dying before finishing a book :wink:

quietrob

Extraordinary
Gasp! Books are meant for burying one's head in! 24/7 even.

When I was young, I was always worried I'd die in the middle of reading a book and never know the ending. I eventually grew out of that fear. Now there are far more important worries than dying before finishing a book :wink:
That is just adorable!

quietrob

Extraordinary
You mean the one that Pepe LePew always mistook for a Lady skunk? Hmmm.... So QuietRob is really a QuietRoberta?:confused:

lol! I never considered that. But of course, my name is NOT Robert. What happened with your password?

Oh...Another thing from my generation. I do like Pepe...
pepe-le-pew-8 reducd.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
lol! I never considered that. But of course, my name is NOT Robert. What happened with your password?

Oh...Another thing from my generation. I do like Pepe...
View attachment 27335
Well, I'm waiting for a SIM card from my phone provider which will give me my old phone number back. Then I can get Yahoo to text me a new password which I will write down in my new PASS book I just bought and will hide in my house.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Wow... I'm guessing you're stateside... down under all I have to do is take the SIM card out of the old phone and place it in another phone.. alternatively if changing provider all I do is buy the SIM card about $5 from the new provider and log onto the new provider website and transfer the number from the old provider to the new one... did my sons only last week and took 10 minutes for the changeover to occur..

Good luck....