• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
It was Caoimhe's first visit to the Odyssey Complex, not surprising really as the the complex was not even fully on line, and she had to admit she was impressed. The heights of the domes lifted them way from the desert like surface and, for the most part at least, away from the sand storms that were common. She was lead to believe that it was not a complete solution but that the domes could be shut off completely if required but not without some impact on incoming and out going traffic she suspected. It looked inviting and she was looking forward to the tour even though she did not know just who had invited her.

Dome Visit HW.jpg

Dome Visit 2 HW.jpg

A couple of renders using Dome District and Dome District 2 by shawnaloroc.

Carey

Extraordinary
It was Caoimhe's first visit to the Odyssey Complex, not surprising really as the the complex was not even fully on line, and she had to admit she was impressed. The heights of the domes lifted them way from the desert like surface and, for the most part at least, away from the sand storms that were common. She was lead to believe that it was not a complete solution but that the domes could be shut off completely if required but not without some impact on incoming and out going traffic she suspected. It looked inviting and she was looking forward to the tour even though she did not know just who had invited her.

View attachment 65005

View attachment 65006

A couple of renders using Dome District and Dome District 2 by shawnaloroc.
I had been wondering what it would be like to have that brain chip put in...The chip I got jumps around a lot.. I think the sci-fi chip is much better.....mine also wakes me up all the time with amber alerts.... nice work!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The Firsties' next adventure was the Sorting. There was an unhealthy degree of general interest in Harry Potter's Sorting.

By this point, Harry was aware that Professors Snape, and McGonagall, would have been happy to have him Sorted into their own House, and he was reluctant to disappoint either of them. He explained to the Hat that he wanted to go where he would have the most friends.

In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
She opened the first container with baited breath and so carefully as if this act alone could damage the contents irrevocably which belied the treatment it had received being shipped across such a vast time and distance. To her great relief all of the XPUs were displaying correctly despite, she imagined their ordeal.

Now the real work began, having the server in a condition it could be powered back without the loss of data had been no mean task but that was nothing compared to getting the technology she was used to working with the ancient server and extracting the data. For a start there was no chance the machines had any sort of common data structure so she would need to use the AI units to interrogate the older tech to try and build a language both techs could use without triggering any sort of defence mechanism that could wipe the data. Before any of that could begin to happen she needed to cable the units together and it had been a many years since she had cable anything like this and even then that had been in a hands on history class.

Server Room HW.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
She opened the first container with baited breath and so carefully as if this act alone could damage the contents irrevocably which belied the treatment it had received being shipped across such a vast time and distance. To her great relief all of the XPUs were displaying correctly despite, she imagined their ordeal.

Now the real work began, having the server in a condition it could be powered back without the loss of data had been no mean task but that was nothing compared to getting the technology she was used to working with the ancient server and extracting the data. For a start there was no chance the machines had any sort of common data structure so she would need to use the AI units to interrogate the older tech to try and build a language both techs could use without triggering any sort of defence mechanism that could wipe the data. Before any of that could begin to happen she needed to cable the units together and it had been a many years since she had cable anything like this and even then that had been in a hands on history class.

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT OR ARE READY to hear this from me now or ever... you have a great eye for compassion and story telling, but I sure would like you to consider using a bit more as far as dramatic lighting...No, I am not suggesting you become the whore I am to dramatics.. It all comes down to how you visualize things.. It is just that I see your work and love it, but I also see it could be more, we work in 3d but the finished product is in 2d we can't make things pop like in 3d but we can stop it from going flat on us..This I guess is my way of saying, "hi, how are you doing, would love to speak more of this....lol

Hornet3d

Wise

I am more than ready to hear any such comments and I am always very flattered when someone is interested enough in my renders to take the time to comment. In your case it is has special meaning to me as I know you understand 3D art and what is possible. I will happily take on board your comment on lighting and will spend some time seeing how I can improve but I think, in addition to the lighting the render needs more work in other areas. For a start the glass material on the server cabinets make them look very flat and uninteresting so the lighting needs to change but I think I also need to change the material as well.

I am using Superfly so the metal cases should look a lot better and the servers themselves could do with work, the lighting of the individual units could benefit from sprucing up also.

Of course it is easy to see all this but it was only your comments that made me look at the render with fresh eyes so thank you so much for the time and trouble you have gone to, I appreciate it very much.

Carey

Extraordinary
I am more than ready to hear any such comments and I am always very flattered when someone is interested enough in my renders to take the time to comment. In your case it is has special meaning to me as I know you understand 3D art and what is possible. I will happily take on board your comment on lighting and will spend some time seeing how I can improve but I think, in addition to the lighting the render needs more work in other areas. For a start the glass material on the server cabinets make them look very flat and uninteresting so the lighting needs to change but I think I also need to change the material as well.

I am using Superfly so the metal cases should look a lot better and the servers themselves could do with work, the lighting of the individual units could benefit from sprucing up also.

Of course it is easy to see all this but it was only your comments that made me look at the render with fresh eyes so thank you so much for the time and trouble you have gone to, I appreciate it very much.
In art college my professor had the very bad habit of walking up behind me pointing at my sketch pad and implore, "Are you sure that is what you see?" my mistake? Well I had made the mistake of thinking I was such a great artist that I felt shamed as I would have to show him were the correct lines should be.....lol You know just once I could explain something with out resorting to story telling....lol I would be the last of many people to even hint your doing it wrong. I have seen many a story book done in your style.... Perhaps We might do a mind experiment here. look up away from your computer screen...What do you see? Now compare that to you work....How does you eye perceive 3d space? How does your eye perceive placement or distance...Try looking right straight ahead, don't move your head or your eyes....Ask yourself, "How can you do a render that best reflects the 3d space before you. Yes, your going to have to cheat...lol The fun part is deciding how your going to do it...lol The easiest and yet the hardest thing to use is light. toss away those hdr crap lights. I use strictly IDL lighting and or spot lights... there you now know all my secrets...And if you tell anyone else, I may have to hurt you....lol

Sometimes just turning down the lights a bit or moving them just a bit will give your 3d objects life in a 2d environment.. There I have said it If you want try it experiment with it. If the results scare the crap out of you then you have gone a little too far, come back towards the light....lol your not doing this for my sake...you have only yourself to satisfy, besides the first and last thing I ask myself at least once for each render, "Is this really what I'm seeing?"

Hornet3d

Wise
In art college my professor had the very bad habit of walking up behind me pointing at my sketch pad and implore, "Are you sure that is what you see?" my mistake? Well I had made the mistake of thinking I was such a great artist that I felt shamed as I would have to show him were the correct lines should be.....lol You know just once I could explain something with out resorting to story telling....lol I would be the last of many people to even hint your doing it wrong. I have seen many a story book done in your style.... Perhaps We might do a mind experiment here. look up away from your computer screen...What do you see? Now compare that to you work....How does you eye perceive 3d space? How does your eye perceive placement or distance...Try looking right straight ahead, don't move your head or your eyes....Ask yourself, "How can you do a render that best reflects the 3d space before you. Yes, your going to have to cheat...lol The fun part is deciding how your going to do it...lol The easiest and yet the hardest thing to use is light. toss away those hdr crap lights. I use strictly IDL lighting and or spot lights... there you now know all my secrets...And if you tell anyone else, I may have to hurt you....lol

Sometimes just turning down the lights a bit or moving them just a bit will give your 3d objects life in a 2d environment.. There I have said it If you want try it experiment with it. If the results scare the crap out of you then you have gone a little too far, come back towards the light....lol your not doing this for my sake...you have only yourself to satisfy, besides the first and last thing I ask myself at least once for each render, "Is this really what I'm seeing?"

Well I looked away from my computer screen and my first reaction was one of horror, how can I add so much mess and clutter to the scene and have my computer render the scene in less than a week........only kidding, but my art room is always cluttered. I did as you suggested and I can see some of what my scene is missing but then finding the skills and the cheats to add it is another story.

Anyway, I did give it another go and I have to say I enjoyed the process and great deal. Still not sure on the result but I changed the lighting and then also played with the materials along with adding emissions to some of the lights in the scene. What I am finding is that although a lot of new content will render in Superfly it does not use it to any sort of advantage. I guess that is better than the way the native Firefly content worked with Superfly but still not an ideal situation.

Server Room 2 HW.jpg

Well that threw me, has the way images are added changed?

Carey

Extraordinary
Well I looked away from my computer screen and my first reaction was one of horror, how can I add so much mess and clutter to the scene and have my computer render the scene in less than a week........only kidding, but my art room is always cluttered. I did as you suggested and I can see some of what my scene is missing but then finding the skills and the cheats to add it is another story.

Anyway, I did give it another go and I have to say I enjoyed the process and great deal. Still not sure on the result but I changed the lighting and then also played with the materials along with adding emissions to some of the lights in the scene. What I am finding is that although a lot of new content will render in Superfly it does not use it to any sort of advantage. I guess that is better than the way the native Firefly content worked with Superfly but still not an ideal situation.

View attachment 65046

Well that threw me, has the way images are added changed?
I don't want to seem to be taking any credit as you did all the work, but I like it, I like it... What I am most happy about is I don't think of myself as any kind of a teacher. Now if I can just get my birds to listen....lol

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't want to seem to be taking any credit as you did all the work, but I like it, I like it... What I am most happy about is I don't think of myself as any kind of a teacher. Now if I can just get my birds to listen....lol

You should take a lot of the credit, your comments and suggestions not only inspired me to have a go but also to question where my limits are and how I might stretch my skills. I have been using Superfly for some years now and I do have a lot of commercial Superfly materials I use in my renders but more recently I have purchased a few images sets with diffuse, spectacular, height, roughness and normal maps and tried to use them to create Superfly shaders of my own. This is the first time I have taken the materials provided with content and used that to try and improve the Superfly render. Basically what I have done is add a Physicalsurface root node and then ported the image maps over from the Posersurface leaving that to provide the Firefly materials and the Physicalsurface to provide the Superfly. I am quite pleased with the results, so keen with the results that I am going to do a lot more in the future.

Your suggestion at looking at the real lighting of my room also made me realise there is a lot of light sources, not just the overhead light, you would expect. Light from the monitors, LEDs on the router and hard drives all play a part. I have always been surprised at just how much light the small status light on the router provides when everything else in the room is switched off. The different sources seem to provide subtle shadows that adds to the scene and thus makes it very different than just placing a ceiling light in the room. In the render I deleted some lights and added others but also played with the placement of the lights to see how they changed the scene.

I enjoyed the playing and the improved render but the big plus for me is that it has opened up so many aspects where I can experiment in future renders.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to comment and make suggestions, I genuinely appreciate your efforts.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Harry's sorting to Hufflepuff was a considerable surprise to everyone. After the feast, the new First Years follow the prefects to the entrance of their new common room.

It should be noted that the story was written long before Pottermore with its claim that the Hufflepuff common room is accessed by tapping a code on some barrels went online. In the story there is a painting that serves as a guardian.

Professor Sprout, like any properly concerned Head of House's first order of business is to welcome her new students, and to welcome all of her returning students back to Hogwarts.

In 2011,
2011.jpg

And in 2020.
2020.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
You should take a lot of the credit
We opened a door, you walked through it. That doesn't mean I'm some sort of guru, nor does it mean that if you walk in my foot steps some great and grand discovery awaits you...lol I am not where you are as far as my work goes, but I am far from above you in any knowledge...I sit in wonderment of how light enters a room, casts shadows everywhere about the room and yet it fills the room at the same time. Is there a correct answer as to how many bounces light has to make in order to fill a room. I don't know that answer and would be concerned if you knew how much time I have spent studying the question....lol

I took to college to find answers, all I found was more questions....Heck of it all is, since getting out of college I can't stop asking questions....

Thanks for spending time with me in my play room, if you want to stick around a bit we can have milk and cookies....lol

Hornet3d

Wise
We opened a door, you walked through it. That doesn't mean I'm some sort of guru, nor does it mean that if you walk in my foot steps some great and grand discovery awaits you...lol I am not where you are as far as my work goes, but I am far from above you in any knowledge...I sit in wonderment of how light enters a room, casts shadows everywhere about the room and yet it fills the room at the same time. Is there a correct answer as to how many bounces light has to make in order to fill a room. I don't know that answer and would be concerned if you knew how much time I have spent studying the question....lol

I took to college to find answers, all I found was more questions....Heck of it all is, since getting out of college I can't stop asking questions....

Thanks for spending time with me in my play room, if you want to stick around a bit we can have milk and cookies....lol

More than happy to stick around I love walking through doors that open, sometimes what is behind the door is unpleasant, confusing or both but if you don't walk through you never discover what is exciting and interesting. Milk is fine but I have to go easy on the cookies as I am diabetic.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
For some unknown reason, another First Year named Zack Smith seems to have taken Harry in immediate dislike, even before the Sorting. Zack was Sorted into Gryffindor and struck up a friendship with one Ron Weasley.

Harry would have left it at that, but in the first shared class between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, Zack attempts some bullying, and learns that when you take on a Hufflepuff, you take on *all* the Hufflepuffs.

This illustration is new for the 2020 redo. It has no 2011 counterpart.
2020.jpg