• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry I should have added the credits, I remembered to do that over at Rendo but not here, my apologies. The Mall set is indeed a great set and the poseset are a nice touch. They are for V4 and M4 but the V4 ones work on Dawn with a minimal amount of work. The only small criticism I have is the stores are all empty so you do have to fill them if you are going to use the Mall as the scene rather than the modules such as the Pizza Place, Starbooks and the phone sales kiosk. Then again some might come along with an add on but it is a minor issue anyway. I think they are good value at full price, as is most of Greenpots output, but on sale they are stunning value.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes. I have quite a lot of Greenpots's stuff. It works perfectly well in Studio, with the usual surfaces tweaking.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes. I have quite a lot of Greenpots's stuff. It works perfectly well in Studio, with the usual surfaces tweaking.

I have a lot of Greenpot's stuff as well and I have always been very happy with them. I like it that he includes camera with most products, the might not be in exactly the right place for the render that is needed but, if not, they are a great starting point. I use Poser and render in superfly and the only tweak I need to make is either turn down or switch of some of the lights but that is possible just down to personal preference. Again it is great he includes the lights as well, it makes the scenes easy to do and you can always be sure you are getting a comprehensive package.

luannemarie

Busy Bee
Title: Goodbye
Goodby 101z.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
I started out in poser 3 and I started out trying to do what you see here, being none of have or ever will see any of that work...I burned it then buried it. I came from byrce 3d, I learned some great lessons in lighting there, course none of that did me any good until Poser 5....In poser 5 I actually created some decent illustrations or scenes.. Still had no idea how to get a handle on lighting and still had big problems trying to take command of the 3d space. Still at the time most every body was doing cheese cake pictures of girls or horses....Not me, I was still beating myself up while trying to show every one that poser could be an illustration tool. I just had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get a handle on both lighting and the 3d space. Ever just sit on a park bench studying four things fore ground, mid ground, back ground and how lighting was needed to show all three....

Course I'm no genius I have only gotten to this point on the shoulders of some really great artists, many of them are here....

Hornet3d

Wise
They certainly look better then any of my first attempts in Poser.
I like them.

Oh my first attempts were much worse than these, I think for the first two months all I rendered were black squares and so I gave up.
Once I had learned that cameras can see through walls in preview but not when rendering I was hooked.

When I did these renders I had been playing on and off for a couple of years, if I remember correctly they were around a time when I was beginning to understand what I was doing but I was still a long way off even knowing the basics.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
All nicely done Hornet. I still have some of my early renders in my gallery at Renderosity, though some of the really bad ones I deleted a few years ago. I sometimes go there and work my way through them, starting with the earliest, to the most recent, just to see how much I've improved. Of course, I also have some Bryce renders, and a good many were done with early versions of DS, so my gallery's got quite a mixture of renders from various 3D software.

Since I started in 3D with Bryce, and was used to doing landscape renders, my earliest portrait renders left a lot to be desired.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I started out in poser 3 and I started out trying to do what you see here, being none of have or ever will see any of that work...I burned it then buried it. I came from byrce 3d, I learned some great lessons in lighting there, course none of that did me any good until Poser 5....In poser 5 I actually created some decent illustrations or scenes.. Still had no idea how to get a handle on lighting and still had big problems trying to take command of the 3d space. Still at the time most every body was doing cheese cake pictures of girls or horses....Not me, I was still beating myself up while trying to show every one that poser could be an illustration tool. I just had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get a handle on both lighting and the 3d space. Ever just sit on a park bench studying four things fore ground, mid ground, back ground and how lighting was needed to show all three....

Course I'm no genius I have only gotten to this point on the shoulders of some really great artists, many of them are here....

Personally, I tend to emphasize lighting aesthetics over realism, which I call "artistic lighting". However, there is a lot of people who only aim for realism. I have spent years learning different aspects of lighting a scene, where I tend to put art and color theory into practice. Things like the effects of light and color contrast to emphasize something, color saturation to add mood, use of perspective (camera lenses) to make things more dramatic, scene placement and balance, camera framing, and light focus.

There is a lot we can do with the basic 3-point lighting that ships with Poser. I use it all the time, though placement and parameters are never the same. Light positions need to change with every character pose, because they each (key, fill and rim) have a different role. My suggestion is to start with the 3-point light, but only 1 at a time. Turn the others off until you are done with the current light, or else it will be hard to see its actual contribution. Dreamlight has a technique where he renders each light separately, and then composes them in Photoshop layers to adjust the individual contributions in postwork. This can save a lot of rendering time if you have a slower computer.

I know there are plenty out there claiming that postwork is heresy, but I am not in that team. I think postwork is not only a good thing - I believe it is essential. All movie production studios have a postwork department filled with talented artists who do nothing but postwork. George Lucas was very proud to show his "before and after postwork" shots of Star Wars (1977), where the differences are dramatic. But it's Ok if some will refuse to postwork 3D renders. To each, their own. :)

Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
It took me close to a year of fumbling about before I produced something that I considered fit for public consumption.
I posted it on my own site, here:
Red Hen Publications — Publications:

It's not much, but it's not excruciatingly awful, either. I really wish I could go back and redo the illos of my first project that I did the illos in Studio for. I was satisfied with them at the time, but they're a bit embarrassing now.

DS3 was an awful program to try to work in. DS4 was a whole magnitude of better. At least from where I'm standing.