• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, one look at any of the marketplaces and it seems like a good 75% of everything is just pin-up fodder. Good looking, but not something that anyone would actually wear in public. (Most annoying are the things that one would really like to be able to use, and would, if the neckline weren't cut to show off the sternum.)

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Artist’s Note:White wedding dresses did gradually become the norm over the course of the 19th century, but they were far from universal. Particularly on the frontier, where, frankly, using white for anything other than underwear (and even then it was as likely to be unbleached muslin) was likely to be considered highly impractical.
My mother was married in the early 1930s in a dress she'd made herself that was pale pink with little flowers on it. Knee length. The area she lived in was (and is) quite rural, and she didn't have all that many dresses at a time. (Maybe two.) She fully intended to wear the dress for dress up and then everyday for a long time. However her new relatives got all horrified about her wearing it again because their customs were for a dress that was worn only once. (First of many times my mother didn't see eye-to-eye with her in-laws.)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yup. My Gran said that growing up, she had 3 dresses. One for Sunday best, one for school, and one for doing chores and playtime. And, Gran was not a country child. Liverpool and Chicago are not rural. I gather that the dresses downgraded by year, as each year she got a new one for Sunday best, which demoted the previous one to school, etc. At least until she outgrew them, or they wore out.

The wedding dress that is preserved, but never again worn is the kind of thing which seems to be the middle-class attempts to copy the "manners" of the upper class. But not always getting it right, and hardly ever recognizing the underlying reasons for why the tradition was adopted in the first place.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Caoimhe wondered if she had covered everything, two days of baking and she was still not sure about any of it and she wondered why anyone bothered, forgetting for a moment that in Turlough's time there was not the option to put a code into a FPC, Food Processor and Creator, as an alternative
Looks to me like she thought of everything. ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, she is still in the kitchen. The cutlery, platters and napkins are probably on the table in the dining room. ;)

Carey

Extraordinary
I've had reasonably good performance from my current computer which I've now had for just over a year. I maxed up the RAM when I got it, and that makes a difference. But I did at least one scene using 18 G1 figures back as early as about 2013, which was a couple of computers ago, and on that iMac it was a major pain, since there was probably no more than a quarter the amount of memory to work with.

Speaking of which: on this illo -- which was one of the ones done from a prompt -- there are a dozen apparent figures, but in actuality, there are only six. Half of the working elves are in fact 'instances' of two of the actual figures, which have been moved around and repositioned.

"The Elves of Hogwarts run a tight ship. And they enjoy the opportunity to show off their expertise preparing the annual seasonal feasts. This does not extend to cluttering up their workplace with gaudy ornaments that serve no purpose. Headmaster Dumbledore rarely visited the kitchen himself, being more inclined to summon the Head Elf, give instructions, and simply leaving the crew to get on with it. Headmistress McGonagall, on the other hand tends to come down to the kitchen herself to discuss arrangements. She does not always come alone. The crew has learned not to let these incursions disrupt their tasks. The Elves concede that the Headmistress’s visits do not constitute interference. However, some of the people she brings with her…"View attachment 55403
way cool:)

Carey

Extraordinary
Illo #2. A Spelling Bee:

Our Miss Granger may or may not be a witch in this AU, but people know her family, and where she came from. So, statute of secrecy or not, she considers discretion to be a virtue. She certainly isn’t about to seek employment as a witch. Teaching, however, is one of the very few respectable professions open to unmarried women (indeed, married women were not considered suitable for employment as teachers). Plus, of course, teaching is a career which gives her access to further learning. She makes the best of things. And she seems to feel that that best is certainly not anything which could be considered bad.

View attachment 55479
excellent work...really fab

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Yup. My Gran said that growing up, she had 3 dresses. One for Sunday best, one for school, and one for doing chores and playtime. And, Gran was not a country child. Liverpool and Chicago are not rural. I gather that the dresses downgraded by year, as each year she got a new one for Sunday best, which demoted the previous one to school, etc. At least until she outgrew them, or they wore out.

The wedding dress that is preserved, but never again worn is the kind of thing which seems to be the middle-class attempts to copy the "manners" of the upper class. But not always getting it right, and hardly ever recognizing the underlying reasons for why the tradition was adopted in the first place.

Yes, clothes do get demoted. Anyhow, that's how it worked when I was a child. (My mother being 45 years older than I was and from a different era, and then she'd been raised by a grandmother who'd been born in 1850...I was taught things that weren't quite the way they were usually done in the 1950s & 1960s..) I had dress-up dresses that sometimes got demoted for school, and school clothes which also had to be kept nice. However, given how rural it was and that we did many outside things (like cutting wood, gardening and hunting) I had pants for everyday and playtime. Fortunately, I had LOTS of slightly older girl cousins so I had LOTS of hand-me-downs and a whole closet full of dresses and clothes.

I understood that the general idea on a wedding dress was that it was to be handed down to the next person to be married. They tried to hand down my sister's dress to me. However, I was about 2-3 inches taller, had much broader shoulders, was nearly flat-chested, and was bigger around the rib cage. As a result, it couldn't be zipped up, was so much shorter that the fluffy skirts looked like a fairy godmother dress ("just find me a wand"), and I could have stored a large sack of potatoes down the front top in all the empty space there. Frankly, I've never figured out how they ever manage to hand dresses down that are fitted...people come in different shapes!!!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
When I was a kid in the '50s, my mother, who loved to sew, made all my clothes. I was a fat kid, but that didn't really matter since all dresses went on over the head, and had a sash sewn into the side seams which tied in the back.

Consequently my skinny little cousins all got my hand-down dresses and managed to wear them fairly easily.

But, yeah. kids' clothes aren't wedding dresses, not by a long shot.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
First image of 2020. https://community.hivewire3d.com/media/the-grove.8154/full

Hornet3d

Wise
Caoimhe felt the frustration growing but was unsure if it was due to the enormity of the task or a lack of confidence in her theory. She had returned to Turlough's place and time so he could visit home, but she had her own motive for coming with him. Ever since she had heard of his brush with a Nocturn she had surmised that the Nocturn had only one real reason for being at this time and place, he was hunting for a book of souls. Evenings of discussions with Annie had allowed her to narrow down the places she needed to visit, after all for the Nocturn to try and take her out, and if it had not been Turlough he would have succeeded, she shivered at the thought, their paths had to of crossed at some point. She doubted the book of souls would be here, it would stand out even in such a massive selection of books, but buried in these books there had to be a clue. The memory of those discussions raised another concern in her mind, Anni was very reluctant to give some information yet she knew only too well how important finding the book before the Nocturn was. She was hiding something but she had no idea what.

She decided she would give it another hour and then call it a day. She suspected Turlough would join her soon, not only because he would want to see what she was up to but also because she had 'borrowed' the coffee machine from his house and he would need his caffeine fix.

Library Search HWRD.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
Caoimhe felt the frustration growing but was unsure if it was due to the enormity of the task or a lack of confidence in her theory. She had returned to Turlough's place and time so he could visit home, but she had her own motive for coming with him. Ever since she had heard of his brush with a Nocturn she had surmised that the Nocturn had only one real reason for being at this time and place, he was hunting for a book of souls. Evenings of discussions with Annie had allowed her to narrow down the places she needed to visit, after all for the Nocturn to try and take her out, and if it had not been Turlough he would have succeeded, she shivered at the thought, their paths had to of crossed at some point. She doubted the book of souls would be here, it would stand out even in such a massive selection of books, but buried in these books there had to be a clue. The memory of those discussions raised another concern in her mind, Anni was very reluctant to give some information yet she knew only too well how important finding the book before the Nocturn was. She was hiding something but she had no idea what.

She decided she would give it another hour and then call it a day. She suspected Turlough would join her soon, not only because he would want to see what she was up to but also because she had 'borrowed' the coffee machine from his house and he would need his caffeine fix.

View attachment 55648
well done bravo!