• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I have a question...

eclark1894

Visionary
Rather happy with the model... so far.

bench2.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We don't have that type of bench press at my gym, but I'll take note of the kinds of materials the equipment we do have is made from when I'm there tomorrow. I can tell you that most of that would be metallic, and yes the circumference of the weights should probably be about half the size of what you have now. Weights increase in the height (if they were lying on the floor) depending on how heavy they are. The seat Dusk is reclining on would probably be leather, most likely black, with a slight padding on the top where the person reclines.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Or Red Vinyl but most I've seen are black (I have seen one that was a dark royal blue and a deep yellow), also quite common is to have black vinyl on top with a coloured bit on the side edges of the seat. The caps on the end of the leg bits would either match the square metal or would self match the leather/vinyl. Also the leg bits I've done as red are usually a black solid foam but can have the coloured vinyl over the top. The square metal bits I've seen are usually painted (black, grey or white are the most common, but I've seen yellow and red as well), all the round/tube bits are usually chrome. The bar between the weights usually has a slight diamond cut pattern where the hands go (to stop slippage with sweaty hands).
bench2b.jpg

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh the deep blue seat in that second image is nice, and those are more the size of the weights I was talking about, though that looks like 5 separate weights, 2 small and 3 larger. Very often folks will use more than one to get the desired weight they want because the full sized weights don't have smaller intervals in size. For instance, you could use a 10lb. and a 5lb. weight together, because the next single weight might be 20lbs. Makes for a better variety.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think the blue is just the lighting in this case, but that is almost the blue I've seen used (perhaps a tad lighter/richer) :) I thought it was a good one to show where it is normally painted on the metal bits as the yellow really stood out.

eclark1894

Visionary
My initial thought was to have successive size weights including the two big ones above for a hulk or Freak size Dusk to lift. The weights are NOT part of the bench, btw, so they are scalable. And the bench will be articulate.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, it depends, I suppose, on how involved the object is. Character UVs are always a bunch of separate UV Maps, so it's acceptable. Certainly you could make separate UV Maps for the weights separate from the bench press itself. I don't think that would be a problem. Then the UV Map for the bench press won't be crowded, if that's what you're trying to avoid.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, it depends, I suppose, on how involved the object is. Character UVs are always a bunch of separate UV Maps, so it's acceptable. Certainly you could make separate UV Maps for the weights separate from the bench press itself. I don't think that would be a problem. Then the UV Map for the bench press won't be crowded, if that's what you're trying to avoid.
So far, the bench press, not counting the barbells, which technically in my eyes would actually be a separate product, has about 3 or 4 templates so far. That's the bench frame, the seats, and the leg press, which as about two maps on it's own.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, you've broken down the bench press to separate maps as well. The barbells I can see, as they're like the weights, separate.

Not sure how involved the frame, seats and leg press are, so can't say about making them all separate. I think the more involved a piece is, the more need for separation of the different pieces. If they're not too involved, then it could be maybe 2 maps. I'm not sure if the seat, frame and leg press pieces all need to be separate. The choice in the end, of course, would be yours to make, but I don't think something would be rejected if it had several UV Maps for it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Ohhhh, you've broken down the bench press to separate maps as well. The barbells I can see, as they're like the weights, separate.

Not sure how involved the frame, seats and leg press are, so can't say about making them all separate. I think the more involved a piece is, the more need for separation of the different pieces. If they're not too involved, then it could be maybe 2 maps. I'm not sure if the seat, frame and leg press pieces all need to be separate. The choice in the end, of course, would be yours to make, but I don't think something would be rejected if it had several UV Maps for it.
Well, as I said, it has to be articulate, so anything that has to move or pivot is separate. So, the frame is one piece, all metal. The seat is separate. The back part pivots up and down. There is a rod that the back rests on. Which, while a separate piece, comes with the frame, because you can move it up and down to incline or decline the back. Just like a real bench. And the leg press will pivot so Dusk or Dawn can do leg extensions.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, so go with it. I don't think more than one UV Map is a fault.

eclark1894

Visionary
Nothing's ever just simple, is it? So, I finished the modeling and the Mapping and exported everything into Poser. And of course, My material zone's are screwed up again. Names of zones are changed or deleted. At least no new zones were created this time. At least none that I've been able to find. Why the hell does Blender keep doing this to me? Is there some secret export setting that I'm not checking off? All in all, though everything else looks pretty good.

benchpress.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't had that sort of problem with matzone names when exporting from Blender, so can't think of why that would happen.

You didn't, by any chance, tweak a couple of things after exporting the UV Maps? The UVs exported with the mesh must match the UVs on the Map.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Strange, and I can't think of why that would be happening.

It's looking very good, BTW.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, I think I've figured it out now. Actually, it also explains something about morphs, as well. When you export an object from Blender, you have to check the "Keep Vertex order" box. I remember having to do that with morphs targets as well otherwise Poser won't recognize the object. Apparently the same thing happens with Material zones. Since vertexes are assigned to specific zones, so if they move, when you import them into Poser, Poser won't know where Vertex 100012 is located in the object and can't tell what material zone it belongs to. At least that's my working theory. Anyway, everything seems to be working now.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, of course, that makes perfect sense Earl. Glad to hear it's working now.