• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How to purchase Zbrush

Carey

Extraordinary
I have the opportunity to buy Zbrush, but when I looked it over I realized I have no idea which version and which plug ins I should most likely buy for creating new faces for models like Dusk, V4, M4 and such...

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
ZBrush comes with most of the plugins you will need to get just about anything done. The current version of ZBrush is 4R7

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Basic program should work fine for morphs. The brushes I use the most are the move, topological move and inflate. IIRC you use Poser and there is a goZ bridge if I remember correctly. I haven't used it though as I mainly send things from DS.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
There is only really one version of ZBrush. They talk about plugins because many years ago, those were all separate little pieces that had to be bought or downloaded separately. But nowadays they're all included and automatically activated when you buy it.

They do bundles with something called Keyshot. Keyshot is an external (very cool and very fast) render engine for previewing what you've done in ZBrush. To use it, you need a copy of Keyshot and something called the Keyshot Bridge, which is a ZBrush plugin to send your sculpts over for rendering.

Now Keyshot or the Bridge are NOT NECESSARY to use ZBrush. If you're interested, buy them separately later. Just plain old ZBrush will keep you entertained (and/or frustrated) for years to come ;-)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I love it but I have to admit that it took me a while to feel really comfortable with it. There is still lots that I don't know and it would probably take me a lifetime (I'm 57) to truly learn everything.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
It's got a learning curve and you really want to ask folks that work in OUR industry questions, often times over at ZCentral folks get ignored. So ask here, DAZ or 'Rosity forums (they have a dedicated ZBrush forum). I've had ZBrush since version 3 but didn't really start using it until version 4 hit and have been a pretty avid user. There are SO MANY tools that I admit to knowing only about a 3rd of what this amazing program can go.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
I couldn't agree more with RAM and Pendreia: it's a great programme, but when you're looking at it for the first time you may feel like giving up. It can do so much, but it does it unlike any other 3D app on the market - which takes a lot getting used to. Good tutorials are hard to find too (Pendreia started a thread about those here), so for the first year, I had it installed and hardly used it because I had no idea how. Now ZBrush is creeping into my daily workflow in so many places as I slowly learn more about it.

But in the long run, yes I'd say it's worth it. Plus, they have never charged customers for upgrades so far, even though new features keep coming all the time. Nobody can say that it will stay that way in the future, but I find that a major plus for now.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
They are saying(not pixologic just people posting) that the upgrade to 5 will probably have a cost, but I've had it since 3 with no upgrade costs and Pixologic would have to be one of the best companies for providing tutorials. Some of the best are over on their site and their #Ask Zbrush is also awesome.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, same for me Jay. Sat on my hard drive forever and then it just happened. Started wanting to model and then started doing morphs for Genesis 01 and the rest is history.

Pen, I imagine the days of free full point upgrades may be done. I'm sure Pix needs to make some money at some point, I'm sure everyone in Hollywood productions have a license so by the time 5 hits (and they have been very quiet lately so I'm sure they are up to something) we will be doling out money for 5 but keep in mind we still have at least 4 or 5 more upgrades for version 4: 4.7.5, 4.8, 4.8.5, 4.9 and 4.9.5

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I know...and I understand their point of view on this. I think as a company they are awesome to have done it so far.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
One piece of good news is that the next upgrade will be to 4R8 before 5 comes out, and 4R8 will be a freebie again. They've introduced the new version at ZBrush Summit and said that some of the features were planned for 5, but they preferred to release them in the 4 series.

Sadly I've already forgotten what was so exciting about the new version... oh yes, we finally get the universal manipulator gizmo like every other 3D app has :)

This article has more on the new version: Pixologic unveils ZBrush 4R8 | CG Channel

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
They have courses for everything. I'm currently signed up for about 5 or 6 of them, though not only for 3D software.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Yes they do! Lots and lots 'o classes! :)

And I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you and the others who made me aware of this wonderful website. (In another thread... somewhere.) I've signed up for 5 or 6 classes also, for Blender. :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
And I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you and the others who made me aware of this wonderful website. (In another thread... somewhere.) I've signed up for 5 or 6 classes also, for Blender. :D
Well, if you're planning on taking Learn 3D Modelling - The Complete Blender Creator and/or Automate Blender with Python classes, I'll see you there. ;)

I started the Complete Blender class back in November, but haven't been working on it much recently, so definitely have to get back to it. I won't be taking the Python class any time soon though.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
I've enrolled in The Complete Blender Creator and Create a Character in Blender3D classes, and a few more, but won't have the time to take any of them until I finish the horse barn/stuff I'm currently working on. I may take the Automate Blender with Python classes later. (And who knows how many others, now that I've discovered this website. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
My biggest wish for ZB 5 is that they finally implement cloth draping. THAT would be worth the upgrade price. The new tools set to be in 4R8 look OK, nothing really grabs my attention except for the XYZ widget ... that I like.