• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that our store and forum are on two separate servers so you will require a separate login for each. The store will ask you for your Real Name (WILL NOT BE displayed to the public) and the forum will ask you for a User Name (WILL BE displayed to the public). You may use the same email address and password for both.

How to make a Bow (for a hat or clothing) in ZBrush, with pictures

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I had to put "for a hat or clothing" in the title so you won't think it's an archery bow!

Okay so here is how I made a bow for a hat I made for Dawn, details of which are in this thread: What I worked on today

So, for a start, I imported a ZBrush cylinder primitive.

a.jpg

I didn't want the full cylinder, only 6 rows of polys from the centre. So I held down Shift+Ctrl and dragged the green rectangular selection over the centre 6 rows, which cut that section out. I was unable to screengrab that part, it wouldn't work for me. But the image below shows the result.
I could also have used ZModeler to do this (I used ZModeler for everything else here) by holding down Alt and selecting the polys I didn't want and deleting them.

01.jpg

Into ZModeler to squeeze (scale inward) the bow along the Z axis, to get a starter loop shape.

b.jpg

Then I masked the outer ends and made a polygroup of the centre, which will later be the knot.

04.jpg

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Next I wanted to shape out the bow. First thing was to mask the ends of the bow and pull the knot area in along Y axis.

05.jpg

06.jpg

Next I inverted the mask and shaped the bow (on X axis) up and then out at the ends, adjusting the mask as I went.

06.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Which left me with this.

11.jpg

Still in ZModeler, I needed to shape the bow on the Z axis. First, I wanted to add thickness to the bow. I did this by using the Extract option in the Subtool palette, setting the thickness at 0.002. This is the result.

11a.jpg

As you can see, the thickened areas are a new polygroup, which I didn't want. To fix that, I made the knot area into a polygroup, and the rest of the bow another polygroup. To do that, mask the area you want to group, then hit Ctrl+W. You can see the result in the image below. Also you can see how I shaped the bow using masking and ZModeler as I did in my previous post.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
After that, it was time to have fun shaping the bow to fit on the hat. For that, I subdivided the bow about 6 times. Then I masked the knot polygroup and in the Deformation palette I inflated it along Z. Then I inverted the mask and used a ZBrush stock cloth fold alpha on the wings of the bow. I had used a custom Alpha on the hat itself, as you can see below.
With that done, I moved the bow into position on the hat and used the Move brush to shape it so it looked the way I wanted it to look.

hat23.jpg

hat24.jpg

hat25.jpg

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
That's all there was to it. I think it took less than 30 minutes to make the bow, from start to finish. To be honest, I spent more time thinking about how to make it than I did making it. ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I sometimes wish that were the case. Oh, and I realized you had the images in the wrong order.

I can try and edit it for you. As a CV-Bee I have lots of options, and I think editing a post is one. ;) Annnnnd it's done. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
BTW Bonnie, you mention the Z axis in your notes, and I know not all 3D software has the Z and Y axes in the same direction. For instance, in Poser the Y axis is up and down, and the Z axis is front to back, but in Blender they're opposite with the Y axis front to back, and the Z axis up and down, so I have to be sure to switch them before exporting.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks for fixing the images Miss B.
Yes it's odd how the axis are different in some programs. I wonder why they all don't do it the same? I mean it surely can't be hard to implement. At least ZBrush and Poser are the same. :)