• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How do you make shader work with existing maps

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I know it is done in some way but have forgotten how.
Say I want a glitter shader on my existing texture map, how do I make that preset work to do that so it retains my maps?
I'd like to be able to use one shader preset across any texture set up.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
If we're talking in Poser, I don't think there is a built in way to do it. At least not an easy way, because the layer feature they added in Poser 11 is almost impossible to use efficiently, and only works if you are adding transparent stuff (which I do assume you glitter would be).

That being said there's at least one python script out there that does that. I think it's called MatWriter, but I could be wrong.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have MatWriter but for some reason I can't get it to work on Poser 11.
So I'm just doing them all by hand as I need to adjust the colors anyway.
This is for the Poser version of Rae's Classic Tack set for BeJeweled. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I did have it before but somehow deleted it from my computer, but with as many times as I had crashes it is no wonder.
Which is why I back up my back ups now.
I've read a little on the pdf tutorials included and as soon as I get free time from so much sorting and packing, I will study more then try it out.

raven

Admirable
It should do. I believe Poser 9/Poser Pro 2012, Poser 10/Poser Pro 2014/Game Dev and Poser 11/Poser Pro 11 all use the same Python version. Bear in mind it very likely won't work to make Superfly shaders as that render engine didn't exist in Poser 9.

RobZhena

Adventurous
You should get the updated version of MATWriter 2014 (available here at Hivewire), which works fine in Poser 11. For the shaders I made for my Pauline character freebies (RobZhena's Freestuff on Renderosity), I used Perfect Skin Pro to create the shader on Pauline using her base maps. You could use EZSkin 3, as well. I then used MATWriter 2014 to save the base shader and makeup options as MC6 files.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
You should get the updated version of MATWriter 2014 (available here at Hivewire), which works fine in Poser 11. For the shaders I made for my Pauline character freebies (RobZhena's Freestuff on Renderosity), I used Perfect Skin Pro to create the shader on Pauline using her base maps. You could use EZSkin 3, as well. I then used MATWriter 2014 to save the base shader and makeup options as MC6 files.
Thank you for the advice. Poser is still a huge struggle for me. Good to know there are things to make it easier.