• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED HiveWire House Cat Begins

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes Randym, the forums were hacked the end of last year, so new forum software was obtained and set up. Personally, I happen to like the new forums much better. ;)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Eeeee! Travis is my favorite texture for the MilCat.

Question...how is this new cat different from the MilCat?

I love the MilCat. It's probably my favorite figure ever. I like it so much I find it hard to imagine how it could be improved.

(Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere in the thread. 25 pages is more than I can read through right now.)

Hi Randy! Good to see you here! and love your avi! giggle! I have to add too that the MANY dials, the additional body parts (that add to the wonderful suppleness of a real cat), the REALISTIC claws/toes...the "real" hair in the ears (mapped on special ear hair planes in the ear!!) the EAR POCKET modeled in, the MUCH BETTER EYE MAP/MODEL are HUGE PLUSES for having the new cat! The shoulder blades, too...oh I could go on and on! And the mil cat WAS my most favorite model back then too... but I have to say, for one thing...er for another thing- Chris, Paul and Laurie made the Big Cat - leopard JUST AS GOOD AS THE HIGH END MODEL IN THE NEW JUNGLE BOOK MOVIE!!!!!!!!! I am SO NOT kidding!! (Take a look in my gallery here, for an art piece of "Mowglie and Bagheria"!!) The EXPRESSIONS this cat can get... well... as I said... OH AND the team made it so the big cat's MAPS will go on the house cat too!!! WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD I TELL YOU ! :)

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The weight mapping is just one piece of it for sure. Rigging doesn't make up for a poor mesh or structure, right?

I'm totally amazed by the brilliance of everyone involved in the HiveWire animals.

If I may add here, in my thinking it's not just the weight mapping of the rig that is awesome. The whole layout of the mesh and base model structure is improved with "real" attention to base surface anatomy of the cat, with superior morphing ability of the face, body, and added nuances on the JCMs. Then on top of this you add in the superior map quality created by Laurie Prindle, and that "ALL" the cats (big cats included) share the same UV set. I dare say that this House Cat is much better then the Milcat in every way.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I couldn't resist... although my Wild Cats morphs/maps (and dialing) stand the test of time using the Mil cat... the models themselves...
well... NOTE: I have not yet dial-shaped "Travis ears" on the HW cat, and I believe I may have on my (now) default Travis mil cat I had saved as a figure....

HWnMilCatCompair.jpg

It's important to note that the EYES on the mil cat were NOT on a separate model/map! It was very difficult to map them on the mil cat, and the pupils did not dialate as they do now on the HW cat- (I use the "Eyes Pupil Small" dial backwards to dilate it's pupil). There are so many things that I SEE when I'm working on mapping...Note the HW cat's nose is a more accurate shape, and the teeth are definitely more accurate for one, er two things... and look inside that mouth with Chris's YAWN morph- at Laurie's inner mouth mapping! Just a SO A REAL WOW ! Also, I mapped the "real" Travis ears onto both, but Chris's ear hair plane/Laurie's ear hair mapping add another level of realism too! :) As I said... I could go on and on... ! :)

randym77

Motivated
Hi, Lyne! I bought your wild cat morphs back in the day. I was amazed at how different you made the old cat look. If the new one is even more morphable, color me impressed.

randym77

Motivated
Great comparison, Lyne. Thanks. The inside of the mouth is definitely much more realistic. I notice the tail looks much smoother, too.

INOTE: I have not yet dial-shaped "Travis ears" on the HW cat, and I believe I may have on my (now) default Travis mil cat I had saved as a figure....

I think the ears are the most noticeable cosmetic difference between the old and new cats. I think I like the old MilCat's ears better. Out of the box, they are smaller and pointier, and more on top the head, while the new cat's ears are larger, rounder, and lower on the head. I assume there are morphs to adjust this.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@randym77 ... hmmm glad you brought my attention to dial-shaping the ears NOW...as I found a mapping boo boo... I need to get the "ear pocket" of my ear photo ON to the real ear pocket, it's in the wrong place... but yes.... so many dial possabilites... this is just some quick playing to bring the cat's face/ears more to Travis and Nickie's.... and look how GORGEOUS the ears cock back.... he's staring at "me" but hearing something off to one side... cool, huh!??! I also found a bit of my mapping not right on the side of the nose, so working to correct that too... of course nose is on it's own layer so will be easy to "fix" Nickie as well, thank goodness! :)
TravisFaceProgress.jpg

I may dial the ears still shorter ... not sure... this is ONLY A WIP!! :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Laurie (CWRW) took a look at my WIP runtime...and I really CAN'T use the material file.... so my Travis and Nickie will JUST BE THE JPG MAPS... with full instructions on how to switch out the 'fur parts' for my maps.... I'm also making SURE about the body shape POSE and the poses I want to share too.... got to do the right and legal thing! Hopefully folks will know (or learn?) how to use poser's advanced material room...it's really quite easy! :)

eclark1894

Visionary
You just have to love cats. They are the epitome of "Not giving a damn!" Of course, when they do pay attention, then they stare at you so hard and you just know that nothing is escaping those cat eyes.

Carey

Extraordinary
here puss, puss,puss... Got a feeling I am going to need a larger kitty litter box in my poser library....lol

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
But all the repetitive motion, trying to get white areas to line up on this one...well, this is what took my joints down when I closed my store...afraid I'm in for another few days of REST or I'll be in super trouble! No more mapping for a long while... and I hope I've got enough white parts to make my conversion of my Punkin cat faster/easier...but I won't even start that for a long while!! Sigh... Darn joints!

View attachment 17809

Can I put in a "vote" for a "yellow" manx texture and morph set for the cat? We used to have an old manx (with a bobbed-tail) that was a warm yellow and more visible stripes than that... I'd love to make something look like our long-gone, but much remembered monster. Couldn't really find any good references...

scratching_cat_2652

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
*waves*

That's a definitely interesting breed, Tigger!

Manx Cat Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet

and this:

Because the hind legs are thicker (in comparison to the average cat) and longer than the front legs, the Manx has a tendency to run like a hare. The normal walking, running and turning actions of this cat are affected by this body conformation.

Color sort of looks like Laurie's Tabbys, but the body shape and that stump of a tail are sure unique!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Can I put in a "vote" for a "yellow" manx texture and morph set for the cat? We used to have an old manx (with a bobbed-tail) that was a warm yellow and more visible stripes than that... I'd love to make something look like our long-gone, but much remembered monster. Couldn't really find any good references...

scratching_cat_2652

Welcome Tiggersprings, and thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated and noted.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A bobbed-tail would be a good option.
I did get a short bob-ish type tail by going through all the tail nodes and scaling them 25% to get a Manx type (they do come with a stubby tail as well :)) I don't know how much you can tweak to get the different type legs (I chose this pose because you can't really tell) but I think CWRW's ginger texture is just what you need :)
Ginger Manx.jpg (thumbnail, click to view larger)